VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

wondering if anyone can recommend a tool for edit out bits and pieces from a H.264 .mkv file? Really would prefer it to be frame accurate and also not encode the output also a Timeline would be awesome if I'm not asking to much.... I'm used to Mpeg Video Wizard for MPEG2 recordings in the past, but now I am forced to use h.264 and would like something similar to continue my projects

If it helps the video is a recording from OBS 1280x720p.

Naturally I'd prefer a freeware, but given my requirements I expect to have to pay if it is possible at all, so Im fine with paid products too

Have a great evening!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's ugly (in multiple ways), but MKV Cutter should work.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cut GOPs have to be reencoded no matter what software you use. VideoRedo isn't free but it offers frame accurate cuts and smart rendering (only cut GOPs are reencoded) of h.264 video.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, like with Mpeg Video Wizard for MPEG2, both VideoRedo and MKV Cutter will both cut at gop bounderies, reencode the GOPs affected by the cut and merge the output afterwards.

Main differences between VideoRedo and MKV Cutter:

VideoRedo:
    • better gui
    • not free
    MKV Cutter
    • free
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for suggestions guys, I'll take a look and may be back with further questions
    Quote Quote  
  6. Other non free options also include - solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote