VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Right, so I recently did a repair on this camera's iris (it was stuck due to being a 14 year-old item at the time), but since this was new in box, it came with the original firmware. I've been seeing various posts on other sites that suggest a firmware upgrade is necessary to use 2GB cards of the not Panasonic variety in order to record MPEG-2 video to the card (MP4 and photo still work fine on these class 4 and class 6 cards which I possess). Is that true? If so, would anyone happen to have the firmware file(s) archived? Or would it be easier for me to plunk down between $20-$35 for a specifically Panasonic branded 2GB card? I'd rather not plunk that much on a 2GB card (these others I got at closeout sales--SO MUCH SANDISK).

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to satisfy a mild curiosity so I'd rather not blow that much on media that will only be used on this camcorder.

In advance, thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    any SD card should work fine. it's just that there are a lot of fakes & cheap ones out there.
    your just paying for the Panasonic name brand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    These cards have been speed and capacity tested and I have good reason to believe that they are as legitimate as they need to be. That said, the only function they do not perform is recording in MPEG-2 mode. The r/w speeds on these are above the included 512MB card from the camera. Not massively so, but enough that I'm confused at the lack of MPEG-2 functionality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I should clarify. Many sources point to this general conclusion:

"One of the main quirks with the AV100 is that out of the box it will only allow MPEG2 recording on Panasonic-branded SD cards."

After doing that, they point to a firmware update that may or may not have been available on zyvid. I can't tell, the site is down and seems to have been down for a bit over two years.
    Quote Quote