VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looking for the best blu-ray player that play all codec?

i was having this player Sony UBP-X800 most of my blu-ray movie does not work on this player!!

i just return it to the store!

what the point of having a blu-ray if it cannot play movie...

the sound not working or codec not working...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    There is no such thing as a BluRay player that plays all codecs.
    Buy a computer.

Otherwise try the international award-winning OPPO UDP-205, which has Dual ESS ES9038PRO Sabre Pro DACs. https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/. For starters, that is. Some say there are better ones at somewhat higher cost.

SONY sucks, and their contempt for their customers knows no bounds.

You did ask for "the best", right? Or am I misreading?
    Last edited by LMotlow; 12th May 2018 at 23:46.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What form are your files in? If they're all on optical discs, as LMotlow stated,, you'll need a PC or laptop. If they're on a hard drive, flash drive or SD card, get a media player like an Android box.

I won't go as far as to say "SONY sucks", but for Blu-Ray players that do more than play Blu-Rays, they're among the least capable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codebox View Post
    looking for the best blu-ray player that play all codec?

i was having this player Sony UBP-X800 most of my blu-ray movie does not work on this player!!

i just return it to the store!

what the point of having a blu-ray if it cannot play movie...

the sound not working or codec not working...
    What brand of Blu Ray player did you have before that played all of these files you have?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i just buy 65 UHD tv, so my old blu ray player was not working on this tv

now i need a new blu ray

will take a look at OPPO UDP-205

and will check for a small pc that have blu ray player and 4k hdmi out thank
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sony UBP-X800 was not able to play my movie!

but my new tv samsung was able to play the same film but on a usb key!

or will tranfert all my film on hd?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I won't go as far as to say "SONY sucks", but for Blu-Ray players that do more than play Blu-Rays, they're among the least capable.
    Sony UBP-X800 was not able to play my movie!
    but my new tv samsung was able to play the same film but on a usb key!
    All well known big brands are least capable - this is natural as "codecs" (generally multimedia capabilities) are considered as evil thing (common conception is that they are used only by pirates that stealing artist work and studio money). I bet that cheapest China player has more multimedia capability than big brand player.
    Sony can be good for playing consumer media formats (i.e. BD discs) - especially this is important for Sony who owns studios and rights to art - they will not promote "pirates".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray players are designed to play err umm Blu-Ray disks. If they do not then you have the simple right to return the player.

They should also play any source that conforms to the Blu-ray spec. They are not obliged to do this neither are they obliged to play any media that does not conform.

To ask for a player that plays any random, and as pandy eloquently puts it, pirated, media you are pushing the envelope somewhat.

And if you ripped your own disks then you also have the responsibility to ensure, from the supported specs (look at manual) that the player can play them or alter your encode to conform.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    or will tranfert all my film on hd?
    Where are these files NOW? If they are on discs......THAT is your problem right there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Fl_FUUI64

after watching this video i am falling for

GIEC BDP-G4390 4K 3d Blu-ray player or kaiboer K9 PLUS Blu-ray player

cool part you can add a Hard DISK wich one to buy

the Sony UBP-X800 was $300 and i return it those are 400 - 500$

wich one to bet on?
    Last edited by codebox; 13th May 2018 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_Fl_FUUI64

after watching this video i am falling for

GIEC BDP-G4390 4K 3d Blu-ray player or kaiboer K9 PLUS Blu-ray player

cool part you can add a Hard DISK wich one to buy

the Sony UBP-X800 was $300 and i return it those are 400 - 500$

wich one to bet on?
    The GIEC BDP-G4390 Blu-ray player is able to play retail Blu-ray discs and can upscale its video output to 4K resolution, but it can't play retail UHD Blu-ray discs and it isn't clear that it will play 4K video files. It may be limited to playing HD video files.

The kaiboer K9 PLUS doesn't play optical media but will play some 4K media files from a hard disk.

I'd recommend a NVIDIA Shield TV running the KODI app or a PC instead of the kaiboer K9 PLUS if you are going to play random media files that you downloaded from the Internet. If you are ever going to play retail UHD Blu-ray discs, a UHD Blu-ray player, like the SONY that you returned, is the least troublesome way to do that.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th May 2018 at 14:08.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    for GIEC BDP-G4390 i m sure it cannot do 4k with hdmi out 1.4

the kaiboer K9 do not have a blu-ray tray!

and NVIDIA Shield TV do not have a blu-ray tray !

the OPPO UDP-205 look good but,for the same price of new computer!!!

would be nice a android 4k player with blu-ray tray!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Then I guess you didn't mean it when you said you wanted the best. That leaves you with BestBuy and Walmart.

I don't think you're trying to play "BluRay". You haven't defined your media. Just because a piece of video has 1920x1080 frames doesn't mean it's BluRay.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 13th May 2018 at 21:29.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Android OS doesn't support Blu-Ray or DVD drives, so that leaves you with a PC as a choice.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older BD set top player, a Samsung BD F5100 BD Player. Cheap, but it plays my preferred format,
    MKV with H.264 and AC-3 audio on disc or from a HDD, or from my video servers. It plays them with no problems.
    Not sure about the newer Samsung BD players. You won't likely find a BD set top player that will play everything.

Really, if you want a device that will play 'most' everything you really need some form of a PC device, be it android or MS or Linux or similar.
    They can usually be easily updated with new codecs and formats. Few set top players can do that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...NVIDIA Shield TV do not have a blu-ray tray !
    True, which means a computer is the only device which can meet all of your requirements, and playing retail Blu-ray discs with a PC is relatively easy. Note that at present, playing retail UHD Blu-ray discs with a PC is more difficult. If playing retail UHD Blu-ray discs is something that interests you, a UHD Blu-ray player is a much easier and more reliable way to play them.

the OPPO UDP-205 look good but,for the same price of new computer!!!
    The OPPO UDP-203 costs less. It also plays media files, but probably not as many kinds as a computer could.

would be nice a android 4k player with blu-ray tray!
    They don't exist and probably never will. Android TV boxes are all about streaming video services and playing media files stored on hard drives or USB sticks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, as was reported in about thread, OPPO is discontinuing it's Blu-Ray and UHD player lines so don't wait too long if you're planning to get one. They've stated that they will continue to offer firmware updates with newer players like the UDP-203 a priority. Also they'll continue repairs until parts are are no longer available.

IIRC, Blu-Ray players aren't allowed to add full support for multiple codecs (essentially that would make them a HTPC) and non-dedicated Blu-Ray devices like media players aren't allowed to have the software to playback an actual Blu-Ray disc.

UHD (4K) requirements are even stricter which is why there are very few UHD players/writers for PCs. And those that are available have very strict requirements from the processer to the videocard.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you do manage to find a standalone player that will play most of the current formats and codecs (e.g. whatever comes after H265) it's very unlikely you'd be able to update the firmware to play it. Leading you back to a PC to everything you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I have an older BD set top player
    I've got an older Samsung as well....one of those little square, no-frills jobs......it's played everything
    I've stuck on my little 2GB external HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arggh...Double post
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops.. Wrong thread!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this android box play external blu ray disk?

Egreat A11 4K UHD Media Player

can someone confirm this?

but the price again....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this android box play external blu ray disk?

Egreat A11 4K UHD Media Player

can someone confirm this?

but the price again....
    No. It plays Blu-ray rips and UHD Blu-ray rips (decrypted as files and folders or an ISO) stored on a hard drive.

It has no optical drive which means it cannot play optical media of any kind. Even if Android allowed attaching an external Blu-ray drive (there are no drivers for Android to allow this) the Egreat A11 does not have a BDA license and cannot decrypt commercial Blu-ray discs.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A blue ray player has the advantage of playing all that can be played by a DVD player and not vice versa. If not, then it’s a short change and you should return it.
    Although it is 4K Ultra HD player, Sony UBP-X800 has had bad reviews such as distorted images, blanking out, or freezing up, whether it is a Netflix episode or a DVD.
    UDP-205 supports 4K Ultra HD Playback Blu-ray Discs. Two ESS PRO series DACs support serve the audio and stereo. The 8-channel, 32-bit DACs are simply the best in class and they set the benchmark for audio excellence ensuring exemplary sound and image clarity.
    A HDMI clock and jitter reduction circuit helps eliminate jitter and timing errors in audio signals. The stereo output provides for both RCA and XLR connectors and the paired transmission reduces noise error improving signal quality.
    For the lower price segment, the Panasonic DMP-UB700 has it all. With this you are able to avoid the Oppo deck price but still enjoy the amazing sound and image quality of Oppo. It is a best buy blu ray dvd player that lets you see 4K Netflix, Amazon or Youtube HDR- enabled video, although it doesn’t support Dolby Vision. But it is one of the best for price vs audio/video clarity.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sony BDP-S1200 that I've had for a couple of years that playes all bluray discs I've ever played on it, plus MKV, MP4, XVID (no DIVX) and AVI from either a disc or from an external 1 TB hard drive that I have a bunch of movies on, and it upscales all to HD. The picture has always looked great on my 40 inch Samsung flatscreen. As my background is in TV production I have a pretty good idea of what a good picture should look like and I must say that what I see on my setup looks pretty damn good. With my surround sound I think I have a an ideal viewing and sound experience. Even my wife likes it (very important).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Sony UBP-X800 player and it plays great for me no problems at all, had it for a year now.
    Quote Quote