VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Just installed AviSynth for the first time but can't for the life of me find the program to run, anywhere on my machine.

Here's how things appear on my Start menu.

[Attachment 45577 - Click to enlarge]

Am i missing something?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Just installed AviSynth for the first time but can't for the life of me find the program to run, anywhere on my machine.

Here's how things appear on my Start menu.

[Attachment 45577 - Click to enlarge]

Am i missing something?
    You certainly are. First clue is in JVRaines' reply, above. Second clue: didn't you see "Avisynth Documentation" big as all heck on that Start Menu? Wonder what would happen if you click on that menu item?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Brief addition: AviSynth is/has no application; being a "video frameserver", it supports other video applications by reading media sources for them (and possibly filtering the decoded source).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't people just chill out and help rather than be too 'clever'

True that there is documentation but I am sure it is a common error that there is no executable for this.

And, from the OPs POV, the location of the install is important - should be, I guess, in the 32 bit programs (unless the 64 bit version was installed) (it was when I last used this under XP) - since the program does rely on plugins which have to be stored in specific places.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And, from the OPs POV, the location of the install is important - should be, I guess, in the 32 bit programs (unless the 64 bit version was installed) (it was when I last used this under XP) - since the program does rely on plugins which have to be stored in specific places.
    If the OP was paying attention during install, he'd know where the program folder was being installed. The installer clearly gives the location of the program folder and invites you to change it if you want.
    On two PC's I have Avisynth in D:\Avisynth 2.5, which is where I directed the installer to put it.
    On another it's in E:\Avisynth 2.6, which is where I directed the installer to put it.
    Been working OK for about 12 years now.
    plugins by themselves are backed up to a "plugins" folder in an external drive.
    The C: drive gets most of the stress in PC operations. What a shame if you lose your C: drive and have to find all those plugins again.

I can't help if it seems comical that most people still expect a damn machine to read their minds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Oh i see, it's not an actual program but works through using Text Documents.. clever! Does it only work with AVI files though? I'm trying to open MP4 files, as i want to deinterlace alot of them and maybe edit/join without needing to render it all in a video editing program, but the files don't seem to open.

Looks like a very complex thing to get your head round.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    If the OP was paying attention during install, he'd know where the program folder was being installed. The installer clearly gives the location of the program folder and invites you to change it if you want.
    On two PC's I have Avisynth in D:\Avisynth 2.5, which is where I directed the installer to put it.
    On another it's in E:\Avisynth 2.6, which is where I directed the installer to put it.
    Been working OK for about 12 years now.
    plugins by themselves are backed up to a "plugins" folder in an external drive.
    The C: drive gets most of the stress in PC operations. What a shame if you lose your C: drive and have to find all those plugins again.

I can't help if it seems comical that most people still expect a damn machine to read their minds.
    I know exactly where the program file is installed, I was just confused as to why there was no .exe file, but now learned there shouldn't be one.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Master Tape View Post
    Oh i see, it's not an actual program but works through using Text Documents.. clever! Does it only work with AVI files though? I'm trying to open MP4 files, as i want to deinterlace alot of them and maybe edit/join without needing to render it all in a video editing program, but the files don't seem to open.

Looks like a very complex thing to get your head round.
    Avisynth has some built-in functions and external plugins for importing various media formats. One of the first things to learn is that mp4 is a container, not a format, and it can be encoded in many ways. Try this guide from the extensive Avisynth wiki: http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Importing_media

The primary deinterlacer is QTGMC, but you can use the yadif plugin -- the latter ain't as good, but better than your typical editor.

When you open a file in AVisynth it is decoded and uncompressed. The results have to be re-encoded. Avisynth is not an editor.

The file that actually "runs" Avisynth is avisynth.dll.
    In 32-bit Windows it's in System32.
    In 64-bit Windows the 32-bit version of avisynth.dll is in SYSWOW64.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 10th May 2018 at 11:19.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Why can't people just chill out and help rather than be too 'clever'
    Because someone else explained it better than I can and I have no need to hear myself talk.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Master Tape,
    Maybe try MeGUI to help you become familiar with Avisynth. MeGUI creates scripts for encoding for you. It's easy to modify them if you choose, but you can look at the scripts MeGUI creates to help learn the basics.
    Download MeGUI, run the updater, use the File/Open menu to open a video for encoding and post back if you have any questions. MeGUI/Avisynth can open all the common formats.
    Quote Quote