VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys I really hope this is the correct place to ask this, please sorry if not I´m just tired to see any MKV movie with that f**** black bards down and bottom, I watch on my Led tv 55 and that bars seems like 42, so I so wish to know if there is some way any program to make that bards just desapears and see the movie in full screen? but without affect the AR?

Thank you in advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go again! Well it can be done if you are willing to crop (lose) some image off the left and right side. Making the image fit a 16:9 screen. So the aspect ratio is altered from probably the Cinema widescreen 2.35:1 to the TV standard 16:9. Your last sentence is impossible - basic geometry, you either lose some picture or distort the picture by increasing the height ie skinny human beings.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	standards1.png
Views:	348
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	45504  

SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use the zoom on the remote control. At least that way you don't ruin the movie after you come to your senses and finally decide to watch it the way the director intended.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try thinking of your screen as an artist canvas - many images or one large image or an image with a border or frame around it. When you go to the cinema there are often "black bars" but you don't see it because the operator moves black velvet masks over the area. The obsession about balck bars on TV screens developed back in the days of plasma screens and problems with "burn-ins"
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    The obsession about balck bars on TV screens developed back in the days of plasma screens and problems with "burn-ins"
    Hardly. Complaining about "black bars" has been around since 4:3 TV's and widescreen movies. The complaints really rocketed up when DVD's came in and almost all movies were presented in a widescreen format. That's why so many early discs had 4:3 versions as well, usually as flipper discs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. One of the early showings of 2001 in widescreen on British TV they put stars in the top and bottom 'black bars' which sort of worked during some of the space sequences but looked bloody stupid during most of the film.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A key factor is that most people don't watch movies in a properly darkened room. I realize that light control is difficult for many, especially during the daytime, but darkening the room helps hide the black bars. I have blackout curtains and even when I watch a letterboxed movie during the day, the bars fade into the background.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlurayHD View Post
    Hi guys I really hope this is the correct place to ask this, please sorry if not I´m just tired to see any MKV movie with that f**** black bards down and bottom, I watch on my Led tv 55 and that bars seems like 42, so I so wish to know if there is some way any program to make that bards just desapears and see the movie in full screen? but without affect the AR?

Thank you in advance

Take a look at this Seinfeld video. The guy goes into detail about the differences between the SD 4:3 aspect ratio and Widescreen HD 16:9. Solid video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIrsitJW5M&t=3s

Secondly, if you do have a PC hooked up to your TV monitor, just use VLC media player, and press the "A" button. It'll scroll through various aspect ratio that should suit your taste.

Try Avidemux (free)

However, if you really want to do it, Avidemux can do it. You just have to play around with the settings.

The video sort of shows you how to do it, but in order to keep the same aspect ratio (so the image doesn't look distorted, you're going to have to use the "crop" function in avidemux. Under video, select 264, then click on the "filter" button >> transform >> crop. For audio, just select copy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2T8XVvZ2Tk

Click image for larger version

Name:	CROP Avidemux b.png
Views:	107
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	45517

Click image for larger version

Name:	CROP Avidemux a.png
Views:	117
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	45518

But here's another good thread that shows some effects and what to expect. (Note: I haven't read the thread, I just scrolled through it).
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/307637-How-to-convert-fullscreen-to-widescreen-and-vice-versa

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crop+full+screen+to+widescreen+free+ffmpeg
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 4th May 2018 at 03:16.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    Take a look at this Seinfeld video. The guy goes into detail about the differences between the SD 4:3 aspect ratio and Widescreen HD 16:9. Solid video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFIrsitJW5M&t=3s
    This was my favourite storm in a tea cup. I think he complained about the table being cropped and the cereal box protruding unnaturally at the bottom of the frame, and he complained about not being able to see Jerry's right hand, for some inexplicable reason.

His screenshot was taken very close to the beginning of a new scene and the camera was already panning to the right and up a little, following Jerry, so that "shot" was effectively just a single frame lasting about 41ms. About one second earlier, it looked like the second screenshot below.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jerry1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	45546  

Image Attached Images  
    Last edited by hello_hello; 6th May 2018 at 23:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Q: How to eliminate the black bars?
    A: Watch something else.

Problem solved.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This just dawned on me, possibly already happening? Since 21:9 widescreen home TVs aren't a big seller, when will theater screens be resized to 16:9 and all movies filmed in that ratio so people won't have to deal with those annoying lines at the top and bottom of the home screen???
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    They're not annoying. What's annoying is visual juveniles who don't understand what the creator was doing and can't live with neither the limits nor the possibilities of aspect ratios. And stretching out 1.3777:1 classics is far more annoying, not to mention ridiculous. This aspect ratio thing has been going on since the dawn of movies in the late 19th century and some folks still don't get it. You wanna tell Spielberg he has to shoot only 16:9? Fat chance.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 7th May 2018 at 06:33.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Here we go again! ....
    No kidding.

Even if one assumes that it'd be worth the trouble to re encode video and crop to eliminate those bars, it's still going to look like crap. Because when a video with cinema type proportions (eg. 2.3 to 1) is resized to 16:9 to fit home screens, they don;t just crop. They crop in different places to preserve the framing intended originally as well as possible. This isn;t possible with non pro tools and it's going to look bad.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    This just dawned on me, possibly already happening? Since 21:9 widescreen home TVs aren't a big seller, when will theater screens be resized to 16:9 and all movies filmed in that ratio so people won't have to deal with those annoying lines at the top and bottom of the home screen???
    The latest craze, especially for TV shows, is a 2:1 aspect ratio. It's a little wider than 16:9 so it looks more "cinematic"... if that's your definition of cinematic.... but the black bars aren't large enough to be too annoying. Vittorio Storaro has been trying to sell the world on 2:1 for years. Good idea. Absolutely godawful name though. Univisium
    Quote Quote  
  15. please realise even with above and below black bars removed most media players will add them back on playback
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I was the first to reply to the OP, I prefaced my suggestion with .......... wait for it........................................ Here we go again!
    Quote Quote