VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking through the blu-ray.com forums and saw that Oppo is halting new product development: https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

This is disappointing news for those who prefer high-end home theater equipment.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is pretty sad. I've been following the thread on AVS Forum since the announcement.

I've had an 83SE that's been really solid for years. I picked up a 203 when I read the news. I wasn't even planning to take the leap into UHD until next year. I'm still using an old 37" Panasonic LCD TV, though I'm looking to get a 65" OLED eventually.

The 203 has a handy HDMI input, so I'm finally able to get 5.1 audio out of my Amazon FireTV. My preamp (Outlaw 990) doesn't have HDMI, so I had to use toslink from my TV to get stereo-only sound from the FireTV.

I also tried to get a 205, but those sold out almost immediately. Oppo put up an email signup for notification of a final 205 production run. The associated text originally stated that they were "considering" a final run, but that changed to "will" after they got what I assume was a large number of signups. I'm hoping to get in on that run, but in the meantime I'll use the 203 for video and the 83SE for stereo listening.

Prices of units on eBay also shot up. Even the older models.
    valvehead//
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Yep, that's a shame. Now we're stuck with that SONY and Panasonic doodoo. Or even worse, Samsung and LG. To get as good or better than Oppo, there are other high-end lines, but OMG are they pricey. I guess Denon would be the next choice downward, but not built all that well. But even they might falter now that quality is being lowered wholesale by crap like Netflix and other streamers.

There was a big modification industry that grew up around Oppo. Maybe they can eke out a living fixing up old ones. It looks like the ultimate legacy of digital video is that by popular demand it will end up looking worse than it did when they started.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote