VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I suddenly had no audio for MPC-HC, not sure what I did, but I could hear this odd chirp but nothing else. Now I hear it other times too, like when I have sound in other files. I have found that touching a keyboard key sets it off. Wouldn't that make it interference? I'm not sure if it does it randomly even without touching the keyboard. I have an Asus Strix SOAR and Senn HD558's. Not high end gear but not old either.

I don't remember hearing this before. I captured it in an mp3. Hope you can hear it. It's a very short mp3 so you might want to put your player on repeat.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=98334376119381288677

Thanks

Edit: using the arrow keys doesn't do it with foobar, but those keys don't do anything I don't think.

Great, it's doing it in both the 32 and 64 bit MPC-HC but not VLC or Foobar2000... I haven't even changed any settings....
    Last edited by Darkmatter; 26th Apr 2018 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I hear similar weird sound when using MPC-HC - my first bet was it is related to bad capacitors and hearing power lines (use analog connection to display) but after your message i must say i need to investigate this issue more closely.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can you try another audio renderer in MPC-HC? I use MPC-BE and there are multiple choices available. Worth a try ...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I actually was told that could be "coil whine" from either the PSU or, more likely, the GPU. I actually tracked the problem (for me) back to a setting in MadVR. It is under [processing/artifact removal] and having "reduce compression artifacts" turned on. I checked everything 1 at a time by uninstalling everything and it was definitely that setting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Not necessarily coil (inductance) but can be related to insufficient/bad capacitor or plainly to crosstalk from some power line at the amplifier input - in my case sound is audible only for around 40 - 50 second and after this is lowered or completely gone - on my different computer (notebook) i can easily hear (headphones) sounds related to video data moving (scrolling image/text/webpage etc) - this is clearly something related to insufficient power quality or PCB crosstalk... so you must check carefully what can be reason...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I assume your PC's audio is built into the motherboard rather than it being a separate card? A cheap card might fix that.

My onboard Realtek audio can be a little chirpy when the onboard Realtek Ethernet is working hard... when I'm moving large files between the two PCs etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Actually it is a brand new Asus Strix SOAR. Which, if I read the info correctly, the cover that surrounds the card is specifically to shield it from interference.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're lucky. I hear nothing BUT chirping when I watch this video.
    https://www.edu-net.net/media/balcony01.mp4
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Actually it is a brand new Asus Strix SOAR. Which, if I read the info correctly, the cover that surrounds the card is specifically to shield it from interference.
    Presence of shielding doesn't mean that shield is sufficient... there is many factors involved in clean audio design and shielding is one of less important things (shielding is more important in RF design than in Audio).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "I taut I taw a putty tat?"

Is the computer's name Sylvester?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    "I taut I taw a putty tat?"
    "a" putty tat???
    Lenovo ThinkStation P520, Xeon W2135; Win10Pro x64, 64Gb RAM; RadeonPro WX7100W; NEC PA301W, NEC PA272W, and Eizo MX270W.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Actually it is a brand new Asus Strix SOAR. Which, if I read the info correctly, the cover that surrounds the card is specifically to shield it from interference.
    Presence of shielding doesn't mean that shield is sufficient... there is many factors involved in clean audio design and shielding is one of less important things (shielding is more important in RF design than in Audio).
    Well Asus claims that it has designed the card to avoid interference from within the card and that the shield "helps" protect it from outside problems, although it isn't as "well built" as some of their higher end sound cards, but I wasn't willing to spend that much on a sound card that would almost definitely offer better sound that what my headphones can even pick up. I also didn't have the money... lol
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jgg View Post
    You're lucky. I hear nothing BUT chirping when I watch this video.
    https://www.edu-net.net/media/balcony01.mp4
    It's a Custom Catio!

What chirping? Dood, u b crazy...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Darkmatter View Post
    Well Asus claims that it has designed the card to avoid interference from within the card and that the shield "helps" protect it from outside problems, although it isn't as "well built" as some of their higher end sound cards, but I wasn't willing to spend that much on a sound card that would almost definitely offer better sound that what my headphones can even pick up. I also didn't have the money... lol
    Well Asus may claim lot of things - this is called marketing - i'm not saying that they lying - my point was that shielding may or may not help to solve some problems related to audio. For example using USB audio card is easier way to control and prevent some issues especially that galvanic isolation is feasible for USB audio card.

Only you can perform checking what is root cause for your problem - digital side (player, renderer, driver etc) or analog (cabling, ground loops etc). Many things involved...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have Marantz_AV7704 and i have lot of chirp noises and other noises from audio. Just scrolling web pages and moving the mouse cursor make sound, lol, and moving files between hdd makes chirp noises, and in start of playing Movie files.
    My PC and gtx 1070ti is Connected to the av prosessor via HDMI - the PC stand in a closet in the NeXT room and i have the cable trough the wall to living room Connected to the Marantz, so i can't hear the PC fans hehe.
    Even svitching to the sat tuner Source i could hear noises from the PC, so i guessed the eart/grounding was the culpit.
    I disconnected the PC HDMI cable and that solved the chirp noises. So then i changed the PC AC Connection, (was on same fuse circuit as Marantz) to a different fuse circuit , from the Kitchen, With a grounded extension cable (for testing).
    And that solved all the noises via HDMI cable to the marantz.
    Another fix/remedy was to not use not grounded AC Connection on my PC (if i used same circuit fuce as Marantz used). But not using grounded Connection on my PC can be Dangerous. maybe.

I'll think i have to study this article
    Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices http://www.rane.com/note151.html

I also recomend downloading this one pdf

An Overview of Audio System Grounding & Shielding

www.bennettprescott.com/downloads/grounding_tutorial.pdf · PDF fil

An Overview of Audio System Grounding & Shielding Tutorial T-2 Presented by Bill Whitlock President, Jensen Transformers, Inc. Member, Audio Engineering Society
    Quote Quote  
  16. Proper grounding, cables, ferrite filter on wires are doing miracles - if from some reason one of devices connected together is corrupted then galvanic isolation may be only solution. If someone wishing to read more then perhaps this is good starting point http://www.epanorama.net/links/wire_av.html
    Some sounds may be related to poorly designed power supply section - variable load may lead to stability issues and voltage fluctuations - this usually is transmitted from power lines to signal path - there is only one way to improve such thing (use better PSU - by PSU i mean not only brick that power computer but also bunch of small DC\DC converters populated over main-board and extension card) - practically it is impossible to fix them all as such it is recommended to use external acquisition frontend connected to computer by for example USB - it is way easier to control quality in such way.
    Quote Quote