VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, so I finally bought an AppleTV 4 and I've been blissfuly been ripping my DVDs and Blu-Rays using either Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (10.1.0) or Leawo Blu-Ray Ripper (7.7).

I loaded them into iTunes Home Videos for AppleTV Playback.

I'm up to 406 movies/shorts.

I've been upscaling to HD 1080P (1920 x 1080).

When I play the files, panning shots have a stilted Jittery/Judder/Stutter feel. It's definitely the files themselves as I've tried playing in both QuickTime Player (10.4) and iTunes (12.7.4.76).

The problem isn't fixed changing the video output settings on the AppleTV and my TV doesn't have special preferences I can adjust to help matters.

The problem happens with both DVDs and Blu-Rays, live action or animation.

Does anyone know a better format/codec that can be played through iTunes/AppleTV that won't have this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Post to the thread a 15 - 20 seconds clip that shows the problem.
    You can use avidemux to copy a selection
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by orionsbell View Post
    It's definitely the files themselves as I've tried playing in both QuickTime Player (10.4) and iTunes (12.7.4.76).
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. It could easily be the player can't keep up because the passages you describe would have a higher bitrate than the other parts of the films. You could try limiting the max bitrate in your encoding programs.

I suspect that the sample you provide won't be a problem for many here but should be provided nonetheless, in case something else is really responsible.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've also tried M4V at 1080P ad MOV at 1080P - No improvement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by orionsbell View Post
    I've also tried M4V at 1080P ad MOV at 1080P - No improvement.
    How is that at all relevant to the requests for a sample?

You might try reencoding a DVD to standard def (480p) as a test to check if you still have the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by orionsbell View Post
    I've also tried M4V at 1080P ad MOV at 1080P - No improvement.
    How is that at all relevant to the requests for a sample?

You might try reencoding a DVD to standard def (480p) as a test to check if you still have the problem.

I so do apologize, but my work keeps me busy in the afternoon and evening as I teach English as a second language to adults in China, Taiwan, Japan, and Korea. When I have more time to devote to a clip in the morning I will oblige.
    Quote Quote