VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I know the player is very old, but I don't want to buy new equipment for a one-time project. I want to digitize some cassettes and turn them into mp3s. Everything I've tried so far to record from tape into my laptop - primarily with Audacity - sounds terrible; lots of hum & whine. I then bought an ION Tape Express Plus - basically a portable cassette player with a USB cable and software - to record directly into the computer. Same problem - lots of whine and hum, and no control over bit rates or file size. So I'm thinking could I record the audio onto a DVD using the Pioneer DVR-310, and then rip the resulting DVD into iTunes, thereby converting it into mp3?

I already know from the manual that the Pioneer can't record onto CDs - it has to use DVDs. That says to me that I'd probably have to find some setting on the DVR to tell it to record the disk not as a video disk, but an audio one.

Finally - if I can't make a music "CD" on the Pioneer, is there some other media converter (WonderShare) that could take the audio off a DVD and turn it into mp3 or AAC?

I'd be VERY grateful if anybody has tried this, or could give me any guidance. Thank you all very much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In theory you could record from a CD-player into a dvd-recorder and make a DVD albeit with no picture just sound. DVD-recorders can not make audio-CDs.

But this will not solve your problem. That noise is either on the tapes (badly recorded in the first place) or a consequence of the digital transfer by any method you have described.

You will need to use audacity or another audio editor to clean the noise if at all it is possible.

What I suggest is that you upload a sample of the transfer here and people who know a bit about audio and audio editing can take a look at it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The noise is NOT on the original tape - nice and clean and clear. So I agree with you that it's resulting from the digital transfer through the computer.

I have ripped thousands of CDs into iTunes with no noise problem at all, so that's why I think that, if I can get the audio onto an optical disk of some sort, that'll solve my problem. I'm with your thinking of using the Pioneer DVR to make a DVD with sound only, no picture. But then how do I rip the audio from the DVD? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. But there is a difference between audio on a CD and audio on a anolog tape.

Ripping from a dvd to audio only would be a 2 stage process. Firstly the copy of the vobs to your PC. There are all sorts of programs that can save the audio to whatever format you require. Check the software section on the site for suggestions.

But, I am sorry, that noise will still be there. Check your connections and cables. And what is your workflow from tape player to PC ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is one such program that will rip the audio from a dvd.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/DGMPGDec
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The noise is introduced during the process....if it's not heard on the tape then it IS the process.
    I've rarely been successful recording audio straight to a PC.....I know what the OP is going through.
    I bought a Terapin VCD recorder(also did audio CDs) and a Hi-Fi CD recorder back in the day because my attempts
    at going straight to WAV via PC were TERRIBLE sounding.
    Hell I loved my Minidisc recorder too.....fantastic bit of technology back in the day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am pretty sure that I did it some (no many) years ago. It was with commercial software - don't even ask what it was - and it was a commercial tape. But I do not recall any noise etc.

Only a guess but there must be a recording setting to reduce incoming volume/levels etc. This 'noise' could well be clipping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In my opinion....there are just too damn many volume "choices"(for lack of a better word) on a PC.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Success! Made a DVD on the Pioneer DVR using the audio inputs/outputs of my tape deck. The DVR didn't seem to care that the video input didn't have anything plugged into the jack. Take the DVD to the PC, and use Audacity to import the audio. Export the resulting file as an mp3, setting the 128 bit rate I wanted. Import the mp3 into iTunes and voila, I'm listening to my audio books again. Thanks, everybody, for your support and guidance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to read that

I still think tho that by careful examination of the various controls either on the Windows sound system or Audacity itself you could 'cut out the middle man'

Why don't you just play the resultant dvd(s) rather than take even more steps converting to mp3 ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    'Cause I can't play a DVD on my iPod.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cindytheK View Post
    'Cause I can't play a DVD on my iPod.
    Silly me. Kinda occurred once I had made the post.
    Quote Quote