VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
  1. I would try change the order of the filters. You want to remove the DCT ringing before the other other filters have a chance to make them worse.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\TNLMeans.dll")
    LWLibavVideoSource("U:\( Folder ) External\-----------Simpsons @@@@  (4 x 3 versions)\The Simpsons S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.mkv", format="YUV420P8")

RemoveGrain(mode=1, planar=true)    
    TNLmeans(Ax=3, Ay=3, Az=1)
    FastLineDarkenMOD() 
    FFT3Dfilter(sigma=1.5, bt=5, bw=32, bh=32, ow=16, oh=16, sharpen=0.4, plane=4) 
    Hysteria(strength=50, usemask=true, lowthresh=20, highthresh=50, luma_cap=250, maxchg=255, minchg=0, showmask=false) 
    Santiag(3,3)
    And if the other filters are causing similar artifacts you want to adjust them.

I haven't been able to get KNLMeansCL working. I'm only using the onboard graphics of my i5 2500K. And I've only recently started using 64 bit AviSynth so I have't tried again.

Just tried and I get "OpenCL.dll is missing...".
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st May 2018 at 18:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    For x64 it's available through RgTools . It's a re-write of the original RemoveGrain . But you still call it in the script RemoveGrain(whatever settings) ; it's just that the .dll is RgTools.dll
    There it is -- it was RgTools.dll, that is what's making RemoveGrain work. And that in was the hidden jewel that "completely" remove those DCT ringing artifacts.

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I would try change the order of the filters. You want to remove the DCT ringing before the other other filters have a chance to make them worse.

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\TNLMeans.dll")
    LWLibavVideoSource("U:\( Folder ) External\-----------Simpsons @@@@  (4 x 3 versions)\The Simpsons S01E01 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire.mkv", format="YUV420P8")

RemoveGrain(mode=1, planar=true)    
    TNLmeans(Ax=3, Ay=3, Az=1)
    FastLineDarkenMOD() 
    FFT3Dfilter(sigma=1.5, bt=5, bw=32, bh=32, ow=16, oh=16, sharpen=0.4, plane=4) 
    Hysteria(strength=50, usemask=true, lowthresh=20, highthresh=50, luma_cap=250, maxchg=255, minchg=0, showmask=false) 
    Santiag(3,3)
    And if the other filters are causing similar artifacts you want to adjust them.

I haven't been able to get KNLMeansCL working. I'm only using the onboard graphics of my i5 2500K. And I've only recently started using 64 bit AviSynth so I have't tried again.

You weren't kidding about NLmeans. About 1 FPS with means vs around 10 FPS without.

Looks like the ability to remove those pesky DCT ringing artifacts was already present with RemoveGain. Internet research, experience from some users say to not fiddle with the default values much, thus I left RemoveGain's setting on default. Amazingly enough changing the "mode" to either 3 or 4 almost almost "completely" remove them. Not really completely, but much much better.

Code:
    RemoveGrain(mode=4, planar=false)
    Anything above a 4 and the DCT ringing artifacts returns. Mode 1 and 2, were very subtle. Modes 3 or 4 are probably best at the expense of some details. Bumping up the value of FastLineDarkenMOD helps to counter the loss in details.

All four images have filters applied. The only difference is changing RemoveGain's from mode=1 to mode=4

Click image for larger version

Name:	DCT ringing artifacts a (dots).png
Views:	134
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	45484Click image for larger version

Name:	DCT ringing artifacts b (Mode=4).png
Views:	125
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	45485Click image for larger version

Name:	DCT ringing artifacts c (plane=4).png
Views:	155
Size:	469.9 KB
ID:	45487Click image for larger version

Name:	DCT ringing artifacts d (Mode=4 Planer=false).png
Views:	153
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	45486
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

That .dll ships with the windows intel gpu drivers ; maybe you are using an older driver ?
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers

GPU/CPU Driver Packages
    (Also automatically shipped with Windows graphics drivers)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I might be (not sure yet) using this eventually. Mode=3, and RemoveGrain twice, once at the beginning, once at the end (mode=2) with multiple stacks of FastLineDarkenMod in between. Not sure if it's overkill but there are visible changes when I do change.

Code:
    if not exist FLOWERPOWERremoveGrainMode4TNLmeans_____ md FLOWERPOWERremoveGrainMode4TNLmeans_____
    for %%A in ("*.mkv") do (
        echo Import("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\FastLineDarkenMOD.avsi"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LWLibavVideoSource("%%A",format="YUV420P8"^) > "%%~A.avs"
        echo RemoveGrain(mode=3, planar=false^) >> "%%~A.avs"   
        echo FastLineDarkenMOD(strength=50^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FastLineDarkenMOD(strength=50^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FFT3Dfilter(sigma=1.5, bt=5, bw=32, bh=32, ow=16, oh=16, sharpen=0.4, plane=4^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Hysteria(strength=50, usemask=true, lowthresh=20, highthresh=50, luma_cap=250, maxchg=255, minchg=0, showmask=false^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo RemoveGrain(mode=2, planar=false^) >> "%%~A.avs"   
        echo FastLineDarkenMOD(^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Santiag(3,3^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\ffmpeg2.exe" -i "%%A.AVS" -i "%%A" -map 0:0 -map 1:a:0 -y -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -tune animation -crf 24 -vf hqdn3d,setsar=sar=8/9 -c:a ac3 -ac 2 -b:a 128k "FLOWERPOWERremoveGrainMode4TNLmeans_____\%%~nA.mp4"
        del "%%A.AVS"
        del "%%~nA*.LWI"
    )
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks. Yes, after my last post I went looking and updated the driver but now there is a different error:

Code:
    The procedure entry point clEnqueueFillBuffer could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenCL.dll.
    I think Sandy Bridge is just too old and only has minimal OpenCL support. I have some other computers with newer CPUs, I'll try one of those.

From what I've read Sandy Bridge only has OpenCL 1.1 support, and the aforementioned function starts at 1.2.
    Last edited by jagabo; 1st May 2018 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    I might be (not sure yet) using Mode=3 in the following script, and RemoveGrain twice, once at the beginning, once at the end (mode=2) with multiple stacks of FastLineDarkenMod in between. Not sure if it's overkill but there are visible changes when I do change.
    Well you would expect visible changes. If there were no changes the filter would not be working

But a lot of it is subjective or personal taste.

But I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it , or multiple FastLineDarkenMod calls

I think Sandy Bridge is just too old and only has minimal OpenCL support. I have some other computers with newer CPUs, I'll try one of those.
    Officially it's supported, as is Intel HD2500
    https://github.com/Khanattila/KNLMeansCL/wiki/Requirements

But I think it's because of OpenCL 1.2. SB doesn't support it

KNLMeansCL 0.6.11 is the last version that supported OpenCL 1.1 and 1.0
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    I might be (not sure yet) using Mode=3 in the following script, and RemoveGrain twice, once at the beginning, once at the end (mode=2) with multiple stacks of FastLineDarkenMod in between. Not sure if it's overkill but there are visible changes when I do change.
    Well you would expect visible changes. If there were no changes the filter would not be working

But a lot of it is subjective or personal taste.

But I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind it , or multiple FastLineDarkenMod calls

I'm going to try to see if I can find a different plugin filter where it darkens the line without increasing the thickness. I'll stick with Hysteria and FastlineDarkenMOD if I don't find one. or I'll fiddle with some of the hysteria / fastline setting.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post

I'm going to try to see if I can find a different plugin filter where it darkens the line without increasing the thickness. I'll stick with Hysteria and FastlineDarkenMOD if I don't find one. or I'll fiddle with some of the hysteria / fastline setting.
    You can play with the settings on some of these
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Category:Line_darkeners

Or , another approach would be to thin the line mask with something like awarpsharp2 if the applied lines are too thick
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

You can play with the settings on some of these
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Category:Line_darkeners

Or , another approach would be to thin the line mask with something like awarpsharp2 if the applied lines are too thick
    EDIT: Just tested out awarpsharp and I kind of like that. It does thin the line, now time to take a look at it's settings. Still need to understand how to fiddle with the code below though. Changing values doesn't do anything in the preview (F5, mouse click) screen.

So I found this code and I'm at a lost. I'm not exactly sure what digits to change. Change digits to 800 doesn't do anything. F5 on the keyboard and there are no errors. Not sure how to use "these" types of scripts/codes.

https://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=993939&postcount=2

Code:
    function Linedarken_toon(clip orig, float "sstrengtha", "sdboost", int "srange", "warpdepth", bool "fast")
    {
    ###### parameters ######
    sstr	= string(default(sstrength, 180)/255.0)
    srange 	= default(srange, 0)
    sdboost = default(sdboost, 1.0)
    wdepth	= default(warpdepth, 8)
    fast	= default(fast, false)

###### filtering ######
    sharp	= orig.Unsharpmask(00, 4, 0)

orig.mt_edge(thy1=3,thy2=255,mode="prewitt",Y=3,V=1,U=1)
    mt_lut("x "+string(srange)+" + 195 / 1.0 "+string(sdboost)+" / ^ 255 *",U=1,V=1).mt_inflate().mt_inflate().mt_inflate()
    linemask = mt_lutxy(orig, last, yexpr="300 1 x 255 / - 255 y - * x 1.14 ^ + - "+sstr+" *", uexpr="x", vexpr="x")

fast==false ? mt_merge(orig, sharp, linemask, Y=3, U=2, V=2) : 
    \	mt_lutxy(orig,sharp,"x y < 40 y < | x y x - 1 x 255 / - 2 ^ * 1 y 128 / - 4 ^ * "+sstr+" * x + ?",U=2,V=2)

final	= wdepth<=0 ? last : awarpsharp(last,cm=1,depth=wdepth,blurlevel=1)

return 	final
    }
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 2nd May 2018 at 00:58.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just call the function. Either Import("whatever.avs") , or copy function to the script

eg.
    WhateverSource()
    Linedarken_toon(sstrength=180)

A good way is to compare different scripts in different tabs. Hit the number keys to swap. E.g. tab 1 might have strenght of 10, tab 2 might have strength of 200, etc... in avspmod , the frames are aligned if you have to same dimensions, same framecount so the images are superimposed and aligned. You can seek to different times and they will keep alignment

There are some spelling errors/typos in that script, there should be errors.
    float "sstrengtha" shouldn't have an "a" at the end ; or sstr = string(default(sstrength, 180)/255.0) should have an "a" at the end of strength

If you look at the parameters, the strength range is only up to 255 (which is expected for 8bit) , but it does not have error logic to spit out a warning or error

This looks like a line thinner mostly, but if your lines are from HD source you might not notice as much of a difference .
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    where it darkens the line without increasing the thickness.
    FastLineDarkenMod() has a thinning setting (and a lot of other options). The higher you set it the thinner the lines are. The default is thinning=24.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    KNLMeansCL 0.6.11 is the last version that supported OpenCL 1.1 and 1.0
    Different error with that version:

Code:
    KNLMeansCL: AviSynthCreate error (cBuildProgram)!
    log:

Code:
    ---------------------------------
    *** Error in OpenCL compiler ***
    ---------------------------------

# Build Options
    -cl-single-precision-constant -cl-denorms-are-zero -cl-fast-relaxed-math -Werror -D H_BLOCK_X=32 -D H_BLOCK_Y=4 -D V_BLOCK_X=32 -D V_BLOCK_Y=4 -D NLMK_TCLIP=73 -D NLMK_S=4 -D NLMK_WMODE=1 -D NLMK_TEMPORAL=0 -D NLMK_H2_INV_NORM=185.828175 -D NLMK_BIT_SHIFT=0

# Build Log
    :119:47: error: double precision constant requires cl_khr_fp64, casting to single precision
    :122:40: error: double precision constant requires cl_khr_fp64, casting to single precision
    :125:43: error: double precision constant requires cl_khr_fp64, casting to single precision
    That was with the all defaults or device_type="CPU". With device_type="GPU" I get

Code:
    KNLMeansCL: no opencl device available of type devcie_type!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Not sure about those errors ; you can post in the doom9 thread or github issues (doom9 thread is probably better place because this is probably system specific issue)

You can use GPU Caps Viewer to help diagnose OpenCL issues

If you have 1 opencl device, it should default to that one being used. Otherwise you have to use the device_id. But maybe try 0,1 values

eg. device_type = "GPU", device_id = 1
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks pdr. device_id=x doesn't help (both 32 bit and 64 bit give the same errors). Actually, I think the Sandy Bridge GPU doesn't support OpenCL -- it's all done by the CPU.

I think I'll just give up on this for now. I don't use these noise reduction filters much. I can just use TNLMeans when I need such a filter. I'll probably upgrade to a newer CPU/motherboard/memory next year. I'll try again then.

By the way, have you ever seen a 64 bit version of Donald Graft's dup()? That's one of the last filters that's holding me back from full time 64 bit AviSynth. Also, did I see you mention a filter that would let you use 32 bit AviSynth filters in 64 bit AviSynth?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I think I'll just give up on this for now. I don't use these noise reduction filters much. I can just use TNLMeans when I need such a filter. I'll probably upgrade to a newer CPU/motherboard/memory next year. I'll try again then.
    TNLMeans is better for fine tuning IMO . KNLMeans tends to reduce too much detail , even with spatial mode only using weak settings. Personally, I like TNLMeans better from pure quality standpoint. But KNLMeans supports more options, more pixel formats

There is a TNLMeans ICL version that is slightly faster (intel compiler) , at least on Intel chips
    http://www.iol.ie/~schubert/gas/TNLMeans103_ICL.7z

By the way, have you ever seen a 64 bit version of Donald Graft's dup()? That's one of the last filters that's holding me back from full time 64 bit AviSynth. Also, did I see you mention a filter that would let you use 32 bit AviSynth filters in 64 bit AviSynth?
    No x64 Dup that I know of , but people request stuff all the time for compiling x64 versions at doom9, and those requests are usually honored

The ability to run x86 filters in x64 avisynth is done through mp_pipeline . But native is always faster/better if possible.
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163281
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just call the function. Either Import("whatever.avs") , or copy function to the script

eg.
    WhateverSource()
    Linedarken_toon(sstrength=180)

A good way is to compare different scripts in different tabs. Hit the number keys to swap. E.g. tab 1 might have strenght of 10, tab 2 might have strength of 200, etc... in avspmod , the frames are aligned if you have to same dimensions, same framecount so the images are superimposed and aligned. You can seek to different times and they will keep alignment

There are some spelling errors/typos in that script, there should be errors.
    float "sstrengtha" shouldn't have an "a" at the end ; or sstr = string(default(sstrength, 180)/255.0) should have an "a" at the end of strength

If you look at the parameters, the strength range is only up to 255 (which is expected for 8bit) , but it does not have error logic to spit out a warning or error

This looks like a line thinner mostly, but if your lines are from HD source you might not notice as much of a difference .

Code:
    ###
    ### function Ultimate Super Sample : USS()
    ### by LaTo INV.
    ###
    ### Need : nnedi, limitedsharpenfaster, gradfunkmirror, addgrain
    ###
    ### USS(input, ox, oy, PP1, PP2, PP3)
    ### ox = destination width
    ### oy = destination height
    ### PP1 = "Limited Sharpen Faster" post-processing
    ### PP2 = "GradFun2DB" post-processing
    ### PP3 = "Add Grain" post-processing
    ###
    ### Default : USS(last, 1280, 720, 100, 1.2, 5)
    ###

function USS(clip input, int "ox", int "oy", int "PP1", float "PP2", int "PP3") {
    ox = default(ox, 1280)
    oy = default(oy, 720)
    PP1 = default(PP1, 100)
    PP2 = default(PP2, 1.2)
    PP3 = default(PP3, 5)
    ix = input.width
    iy = input.height
    scaleX = ceil(float(ox)/float(2 * ix))*2
    scaleY = ceil(float(oy)/float(2 * iy))*2
    scale  = scaleX > scaleY ? scaleX : scaleY
    upscale2  = scale > 1 ? input
            \ .nnedi(dh=true,Y=true,U=true,V=true,field=1).turnleft()
            \ .nnedi(dh=true,Y=true,U=true,V=true,field=0).turnright(do I put anything in here?)
            \ : input
    upscale4  = scale > 2 ? upscale2
            \ .nnedi(dh=true,Y=true,U=true,V=true,field=0).turnright()
            \ : upscale2
    upscale8  = scale > 4 ? upscale4
            \ : upscale4
    upscale16 = scale > 8 ? upscale8
            \ : upscale8
    process   = upscale16
            \ .limitedsharpenfaster(ss_x=1.0,ss_y=1.0,strength=PP1)
            \ .gradfunkmirror(PP2)
            \ .addgrain(PP3,0,0)
    output    = process.spline36resize(ox,oy)
    return output

}
    ###

So I'm still kind of confused with these "function" scripts. What I see is this in my brain. I see multiple variables (notice all the color locations) that I can change. My brain is basically all over the place, not sure where to start and end.

In the following thread, a person mentioned, "Addborders" and where would I "addborders".

USS(1232,688)
    Addborders(24,16,24,16)

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=138285

Do I even touch anything in the bright green color?
    Do I change the blue "?" to a number, a word?
    Do I change the red numbers next to the blue "?" to a different number?
    Do I just everything inside the "function" parenthesis ( ) and leave everything inside the { } alone.

function USS(clip input, int "ox", int "oy", int "PP1", float "PP2", int "PP3")

Do I change the above string of function code to something with numbers
    function USS(clip input, 5 "ox", 6 "oy", 44 "PP1", 8 "PP2", 12 "PP3")

Or Do I delete the "ox" "oy" "PP1" "PP2" "PP3" and go with something like this:
    USS(clip input, 5,6,44,8,12)

And then with the word "clip," do I go about it this way:
    function USS(MPEG2Source("T:\Sitcom - Will & Grace DVD\Will & Grace S1 D1 Ep2 - A New Lease on Life TEST.d2v", cpu=0), int "ox", int "oy", int "PP1", float "PP2", int "PP3")

Then with this section of the code:
    ox = default(ox, 1280)
    oy = default(oy, 720)
    PP1 = default(PP1, 100)
    PP2 = default(PP2, 1.2)
    PP3 = default(PP3, 5)

Do I change them to something like so where I'm basically changing the numbers)?
    ox = default(ox, 9999)
    oy = default(oy, 888)
    PP1 = default(PP1, 700)
    PP2 = default(PP2, 600)
    PP3 = default(PP3, 500)

Then there's this section of the code,
    ix = input.width
    iy = input.height
    scaleX = ceil(float(ox)/float(2 * ix))*2
    scaleY = ceil(float(oy)/float(2 * iy))*2
    scale = scaleX > scaleY ? scaleX : scaleY

Do I change it like so ...
    1920 = input.width
    1080 = input.height
    scaleX = ceil(float(ox)/float(15 * ix))*60
    scaleY = ceil(float(oy)/float(25 * iy))*75
    scale = scaleX > scaleY 4 scaleX : scaleY

Do I do anything with the nnedi location:

Code:
    .nnedi(dh=true,Y=true,U=true,V=true,field=0).turnright
    Do I change to something like this:
    Code:
    .nnedi(dh=false,Y=false,U=true,V=true,field=15).turnright
    What about the word input, do I input something there?

Code:
    upscale2  = scale > 1 ? input
            \ .nnedi(dh=true,Y=true,U=true,V=true,field=0).turnright(do I put anything in here?)
    What about the number "1' and "?' . Do i change these to different values
    Code:
    upscale2  = scale > 10 50 input

Name:	AVSI script help b.png
Views:	113
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	45503

Name:	AVSI script help d.png
Views:	131
Size:	824.2 KB
ID:	45498Click image for larger version

Name:	AVSI script help a.png
Views:	87
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	45499Click image for larger version

Name:	AVSI script help c.png
Views:	129
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	45500

Here's an example where everything above the orange rectangular box no longer applies to the imported video Will & Grace. TFM() and Tdecimate which is further up no long inverse telecines the Will and Grace. When I finally moved TFM() and Tdecimate below a=MPEGSource but above "function," then TFM() and Tdecimate would work. Do that mean this the following Import("C:\.......\UltimateSuperSample.avsi") must be on line 1 at the very top of the script? What if I have two types of these function scripts? Do I then have to put both MUST be at the top lines

Line 1 MPEG2Source("T:\Sitcom - Will & Grace DVD\Will & Grace S1 D1 Ep2 - A New Lease on Life TEST.d2v", cpu=0)
    Line 2 Import("C\...\UltimateSuperScript.avsi")
    Line 3 Import("C\...\PerfectDENOIERScript.avsi")
    Line 4 TFM()
    Line 5 Tdecimate()

Code:
    Import("C:\Users\Johnny\Desktop\New folder\UltimateSuperSample.avsi")
    a=MPEG2Source("T:\Sitcom - Will & Grace DVD\Will & Grace S1 D1 Ep2 - A New Lease on Life TEST.d2v", cpu=0)
    a

Name:	AVSI script help e.png
Views:	117
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	45501Click image for larger version

Name:	AVSI script help 00.png
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	45502

And that is my brain all over the place with these "function" scripts. Not exactly sure where to start.
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 2nd May 2018 at 22:47.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And with all the stuff above, I need to somehow "port" it or include it into my .bat batch script that jagabo essentially.

Code:
    if not exist GREENFLOWER md GREENFLOWER
    for %%A in ("*.VOB") do (
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMVpack\DGMPGDec\DGIndex.exe" -i "%%~A" -o "%%~dpnA" -fo 0 -om 2 -exit
        echo Mpeg2Source("%%~dpnA.d2v", CPU2="ooooxx", Info=3^) > "%%~A.avs"
        echo TFM(d2v="%%~dpnA.d2v"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo TDecimate(^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\ffmpeg2.exe" -i "%%A.AVS" -i "%%A" -map 0:0 -map 1:a:0 -y -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 22 -vf hqdn3d,setsar=sar=8/9 -c:a copy "GREENFLOWER\%%~nA.mp4"
        del "%%~nA*.AC3"
        del "%%A.AVS"
        del "%%~nA.d2v"
        del "%%~nA.d2v.bad"
        del "%%~nA.fix.txt"
    )
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  18. You don't want to change function at all. You just include it within the body of your script. Then you call it from the main flow of your script:

Code:
    # this creates a function called USS
    function USS(blah...)
    {
        blah...
    }

# You then call it just like any other function (filter):
    Mpeg2Source(blah...)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    USS(whatever options you want)
    Or you could save all the text of the function in an AVS script and import it rather than duplicating it all within your script.

Code:
    Import("\path\to\USS.avs") 

Mpeg2Source(blah...)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    By the way, be careful with your use of Hysteria() with very strong settings like in your earlier scripts. Strength values like 10 will create lines in places where there were none before -- like any sharp boundary between a dark and light color.
    Last edited by jagabo; 2nd May 2018 at 23:10.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    No x64 Dup that I know of , but people request stuff all the time for compiling x64 versions at doom9, and those requests are usually honored
    I haven't done Windows development in a long time so the tools I have are only 32 bit. But I finally got off my ass and set up a Win7 VM with a recent version of Visual Studio so I can work on the conversion myself...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I haven't done Windows development in a long time so the tools I have are only 32 bit. But I finally got off my ass and set up a Win7 VM with a recent version of Visual Studio so I can work on the conversion myself...
    Nice! So I can bug you to compile plugins too haha
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You don't want to change function at all. You just include it within the body of your script. Then you call it from the main flow of your script:

Code:
    # this creates a function called USS
    function USS(blah...)
    {
        blah...
    }

Mpeg2Source(blah...)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    Or you could save all the text of the function in an AVS script and import it rather than duplicating it all within your script.

Code:
    Import("\path\to\USS.avs") 

Mpeg2Source(blah...)
    TFM()
    TDecimate()
    By the way, be careful with your use of Hysteria() with very strong settings like in your earlier scripts. Strength values like 10 will create lines in places where there were none before -- like any sharp boundary between a dark and light color.
    Appreciate the tip on hysteria. I'll run a comparison test.

As far as the "function" script goes, I think I may have entered it correctly, but then plugin requirements are throwing me off. I may just have to revisit this over the weekend or something. But the general gist of the problem is, I have both the Walker Dependancies 32bit and 64bit. What I think I'm suppose to do is just drag the .dll file extension onto either the 32bit or 64bit Walker Dependancy. 32bit .dll onto 32bit Walker; 64bit .dll onto 64bit Walker. If it prompts a red warning message, then it's probably not going to work unless I have some other "stuff" to make it compatible.

Do you personally (or anyone else wants to chime in) try to upscale your SD DVD into a crisper ("HD-ish") effect? And what are the scripts that you use? I'm thinking about trying to do that with Seinfeld, Will and Grace, Frasier, Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. etc. I thought maybe getting the Ultimate Super Sample Function script could help, but can't get it to work because of the missing plugins or .dll or system requirements, etc.

Name:	Dependancies a.png
Views:	110
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	45505

As far as this "folder" is concerned, it's more of a temporary reminder of sort. I'm just keeping those in there so I remember which ones I copied and pasted into the 32bit Avisynth folder. If it doesn't work, I'll just delete them from the 32 bit folder plugin Avisynth program folder.

Name:	Dependancies b.png
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	45506
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    Do you personally (or anyone else wants to chime in) try to upscale your SD DVD into a crisper ("HD-ish") effect? And what are the scripts that you use?
    I've done similar before, upscaling VCDs to 480p for upload to YouTube and for DVD. But if this is for your own television viewing, then it's pretty much a waste of time as your television will have its own upscaler to go from DVD resolution to 1080p or whatever the native resolution of your television is. However, in general, the best AviSynth upscaler is Nnedi3_RPow2 and a sample script might go (from a 4:3 DVD to 1080p):

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=1440,fheight=1080)

Use whatever resizer you like and I usually follow it with a little sharpening. I usually use LimitedSharpenFaster.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Do you personally (or anyone else wants to chime in) try to upscale your SD DVD into a crisper ("HD-ish") effect? And what are the scripts that you use?
    I've done similar before, upscaling VCDs to 480p for upload to YouTube and for DVD. But if this is for your own television viewing, then it's pretty much a waste of time as your television will have its own upscaler to go from DVD resolution to 1080p or whatever the native resolution of your television is. However, in general, the best AviSynth upscaler is Nnedi3_RPow2 and a sample script might go (from a 4:3 DVD to 1080p):

Code:

Use whatever resizer you like and I usually follow it with a little sharpening. I usually use LimitedSharpenFaster.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that code and see if it works.

EDIT: Now, I've been kind of confused (through internet research) about the whole resolution/size/upscale terminology.

Fraiser mediainfo 720 x480 pixels, and 4:3 display aspect ratio.

If I wanted to increase the "details" in the picture (i.e. make them sharper, crispier), will increasing the pixels to 1920x1080 pixels, also increase the file size. Asking because when I was still using Vidcoder, changing the size of the output video didn't affect the file size at all (100mb was still 100mb) when the video size was increased 720x480 ===> 1920x1080 .. if my recollection was correct.

People kept saying the only way to affect file size was bitrate x duration =file size.

If I do it like so, does it have any affect on the file size and what I'm trying to accomplish, increase sharpness? (Note, I have read that in order to properly upscale it, one needs to "change the resolution" from 720x480 to 1920x1080, then apply the appropriate filters, and down it back to 720x480 or something like.

Frasier VOB 720x480

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=720,fheight=480)

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=1920,fheight=1080)

Code:

All of this is strictly for my personal viewing on my ipad 12.9 (512GB), but also to learn something about video encoding, scripting, and stuff.

Frasier can be a bit on the "blurry" side so to speak on my ipad. I certainly understand one can't take an SD source and magically turn it HD, but if I could give it that little push, a bit sharper, a bit more detailed (even if it may be artificial created details, or however one wants to put it), it can make the viewing sessions a bit better.

Space/Capacity is also an issue as well on the 512GB ipad.

The filters already made the Simpsons a bit more bearable. However, I'm discovering a "shimmering" effect if I push Hysteria too hard. I'm thinking I might need to drop Hysteria, or use it at a strength 1 or 2, and push FasterLineDarkenMOD a bit more, or some other solution to thicken the lines and ultimately a "sharper" picture.
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 3rd May 2018 at 04:06.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    As far as the "function" script goes, I think I may have entered it correctly, but then plugin requirements are throwing me off. I may just have to revisit this over the weekend or something. But the general gist of the problem is, I have both the Walker Dependancies 32bit and 64bit. What I think I'm suppose to do is just drag the .dll file extension onto either the 32bit or 64bit Walker Dependancy. 32bit .dll onto 32bit Walker; 64bit .dll onto 64bit Walker. If it prompts a red warning message, then it's probably not going to work unless I have some other "stuff" to make it compatible.
    AVSMeter will most likely point out the missing runtimes. Just run it with the "-avsinfo" switch.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    What do you mean, "see if it works"? Of course it works.
    If I wanted to increase the "details" in the picture (i.e. make them sharper, crispier), will increasing the pixels to 1920x1080 pixels...
    Fraser is 1.33:1. Unless you increase it to 1920x1080 with a lot of black bars on the sides, you'll wind up making everyone fat. Surely you don't want that? I already gave the correct upscaling resolution.
    ...changing the size of the output video didn't affect the file size at all (100mb was still 100mb)
    Then you used the same bitrate for both, and got a much worse quality result from the higher resolution one.
    If I do it like so, does it have any affect on the file size and what I'm trying to accomplish, increase sharpness?
    If you want the same quality, then use CRF (quality-based) encoding. In general, when increasing the resolution , especially if adding a sharpener to the script, you want to increase the bitrate (thus the filesize) by quite a lot.
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwi dth=1920,fheight=1080)
    Doing that for a 4:3 DVD just makes everyone fat.

And if the goal is to watch these on an iPad, I'd just keep the original resolution. Or resize to 640x480,
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zeppo View Post
    AVSMeter will most likely point out the missing runtimes. Just run it with the "-avsinfo" switch.
    Noted. I'll play around with that this weekend. Thanks.

What do you mean, "see if it works"? Of course it works.
    If I wanted to increase the "details" in the picture (i.e. make them sharper, crispier), will increasing the pixels to 1920x1080 pixels...
    Fraser is 1.33:1. Unless you increase it to 1920x1080 with a lot of black bars on the sides, you'll wind up making everyone fat. Surely you don't want that? I already gave the correct upscaling resolution.
    ...changing the size of the output video didn't affect the file size at all (100mb was still 100mb)
    Then you used the same bitrate for both, and got a much worse quality result from the higher resolution one.
    If I do it like so, does it have any affect on the file size and what I'm trying to accomplish, increase sharpness?
    If you want the same quality, then use CRF (quality-based) encoding. In general, when increasing the resolution , especially if adding a sharpener to the script, you want to increase the bitrate (thus the filesize) by quite a lot.
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwi dth=1920,fheight=1080)
    Doing that for a 4:3 DVD just makes everyone fat.

And if the goal is to watch these on an iPad, I'd just keep the original resolution. Or resize to 640x480,
    Oh I don't doubt that the size dimension and code will work. I know it will work.

But by "will it work," I meant if the addition of any filters and sharpeners (or minus any other filters or sharpeners) or various combination plus the nnedi code, if those miscellaneous filters/sharpeners/denoiser will produce the "picture" that is pleasing to my eyes, with respect to the distance I hold the tablet.

Scratching off the 1920x1080 off my list. Don't want anyone fat.

I'll go with either 1440x1080, 720x480 or 640x480. I'll see how it goes. I personally don't mind the black bars.

Thanks. Appreciative.

EDIT: Oh yeah, as far as changing the size and keeping the same 100mb size or whatever it was ... i would have to redo a test to see the results. I don't recall if the quality degraded much. I think ffmpeg can also change the width height immediately or something.

EDIT: Yep, I use to encode using a target size, or a specific bitrate (i.e. 600kb) but decided to jump on the CRF wagon. Would rather have consistent quality over a set bitrate.
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 3rd May 2018 at 05:11.
    Quote Quote  
  27. You want to clean up the video before you upscale.

Upscaling won't create detail that isn't in the original video. What you can do is keep sharp edges sharp without introducing aliasing and oversharpening halos. This can work pretty well for cartoons. But not as good for real world video.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM

Code:

My brains waves were kicking and got me thinking. If my VOB is already 720x480, the following would be pointless right? Nnedi3_rpow2 is only useful if I wanted to upscale it to 1440x1080 right? Nnedi_rpow2 is also not useful if I wanted to decrease the size right?

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=720,fheight=480)

So, nnedi3_rpow2 is pointless in the following .bat batch script?

Code:
    if not exist WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2 md WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMVpack\DGMPGDec\DGIndex.exe" -i "%%~A" -o "%%~dpnA" -fo 0 -om 2 -exit
        echo Import("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\aWarpSharp.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"       
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\SangNom2.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Import ("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\FastLineDarkenMOD.avsi"^) >> "%%~A.avs"  
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\nnedi3.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64+\AddGrainC.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FFT3DFilter(sigma=1.5, plane=0, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8, sharpen=0.4^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FFT3DFilter(sigma=3, plane=3, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8, sharpen=0.4^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.5, ss_y=1.5, edgemode=1, strength=255^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo awarpsharp(5^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Santiag(1,1^) >> "%%~A.avs" 
        echo FastlineDarkenMOD(strength=50^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo AddGrainC(var=1.0, uvar=0.0, hcorr=0.0, vcorr=0.0, seed=-1, constant=false, sse2=true^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Tweak(hue=-3^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,nsize=4,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=720,fheight=480^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\ffmpeg2.exe" -i "%%A.AVS" -i "%%A" -map 0:0 -map 1:a:0 -y -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 23 -vf setsar=sar=8/9 -acodec copy "WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2\%%~nA.mp4"
        del "%%~nA*.AC3"
        del "%%A.AVS"
        del "%%~nA.d2v"
        del "%%~nA.d2v.bad"
        del "%%~nA.fix.txt"
    )
    pause

You want to clean up the video before you upscale.

Upscaling won't create detail that isn't in the original video. What you can do is keep sharp edges sharp without introducing aliasing and oversharpening halos. This can work pretty well for cartoons. But not as good for real world video.
    I realized people look kind of plastic with complete grain removal. I will need to start encoding with AddGrain after processing the video. The following doesn't have AddGrain yet.

VOB original (DVD source)
    [Attachment 45513 - Click to enlarge]

Avisynth
    [Attachment 45514 - Click to enlarge]

VOB original (DVD Source)
    [Attachment 45516 - Click to enlarge]

Avisynth
    [Attachment 45515 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    If my VOB is already 720x480, the following would be pointless right?
    Yes. It might smooth out some edges and sharpen a bit.

I realized people look kind of plastic with complete grain removal.
    For example, after your processing the guy's hair in the first pair shots looks like painted plastic, not hair. It's also over-sharpened with halos around all sharp edges.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If my VOB is already 720x480, the following would be pointless right?
    Yes. It might smooth out some edges and sharpen a bit.

I realized people look kind of plastic with complete grain removal.
    For example, after your processing the guy's hair in the first pair shots looks like painted plastic, not hair. It's also over-sharpened with halos around all sharp edges.
    Appreciative the input. It helps. The above set of images were processed using the same script.

I'm still fiddling with the different filters, but how would one go about selectively sharpening the eyes and facial features. That's the reason I was pushing heavy on the sharp filters. That was my primary focus when I'm trying make things look better. It's all about the face. What's your current approach?

Any particular filter plugins or script that's your "go-to" for content with real people? I know it's all subjective but it would be nice to get steered down the "correct" path.

I know it's all about balance, and for my purposes, it's also about file size. The addition of AddGrain (if pushed too hard) severely increases file size.

Initially I was amazed by the results in the following thread ((https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=174249)). I know it was an experiment, and I understand why all grain was removed; it was to showcase the power of KNLmeans (which I still can't get to run at all). Would be too slow for system anyway. The more I look at the photo in the following link, the more plastic it kind of looks. But Fesity2 definitely seems to have a solid handled on different plugin effects.

The following is my current updated script using AddGrain. I'm guessing filter do affect file size. Trying to figure out what I could take out and what I may need to push.

Code:
    if not exist WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2 md WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2
        echo Import("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\LimitedSharpenFaster.avsi"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\aWarpSharp.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"       
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\SangNom2.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Import ("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\FastLineDarkenMOD.avsi"^) >> "%%~A.avs"  
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64\nnedi3.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins64+\AddGrainC.dll"^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FFT3DFilter(sigma=1.5, plane=0, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8, sharpen=0.4^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo FFT3DFilter(sigma=3, plane=3, bw=16, bh=16, ow=8, oh=8, sharpen=0.4^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.5, ss_y=1.5, edgemode=1, strength=255^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo awarpsharp(5^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Santiag(1,1^) >> "%%~A.avs" 
        echo FastlineDarkenMOD(strength=50^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo AddGrainC(var=1.0, uvar=0.0, hcorr=0.0, vcorr=0.0, seed=-1, constant=false, sse2=true^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo Tweak(hue=-3^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        echo nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,nsize=4,cshift="spline36resize",fwidth=720,fheight=480^) >> "%%~A.avs"
        "C:\Program Files\ImageMagick-7.0.2-Q16\ffmpeg2.exe" -i "%%A.AVS" -i "%%A" -map 0:0 -map 1:a:0 -y -c:v libx264 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 23 -vf setsar=sar=8/9 -acodec copy "WithGrain__________23copyaudioMINIMIZEplusTTF3Dfilterx2\%%~nA.mp4"
        del "%%~nA*.AC3"
        del "%%A.AVS"
        del "%%~nA.d2v"
        del "%%~nA.d2v.bad"
        del "%%~nA.fix.txt"
    )
    pause
    Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 5th May 2018 at 12:57.
    Quote Quote