VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone know about MKV converter same as VidCoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it's called VidCoder if you want to shrink a MKV file to MKV or MP4 - not sure what you want to do ? If you want to make a MKV file then MakeMKV is quick but doesn't shrink - ie file size in = file size out.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for reply, yes i want to shrink, change of resolutions and audio etc.. MKV file to MKV same as MP4/M4v in VidCoder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can do that in Vidcoder, just select the profile you want and the format mp4 or mkv and away you go.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vidcodersettings.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	45377  

Last edited by netmask56; 24th Apr 2018 at 23:58. Reason: add image
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Oh! i forgot this option thanks, please advise another better software than VidCoder for the same purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake that's about it, there may be others but Vidcoder, which is built on the Handbrake engine is probably the best. Maybe others can suggest alternative for you. Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deepfrayder View Post
    Thanks for reply, yes i want to shrink, change of resolutions and audio etc.. MKV file to MKV same as MP4/M4v in VidCoder

Maybe ffmpeg .... or just completely ignore everything I wrote below. Whatever works.

Background: I'm still a beginner to all of this, and NONE of the following is my original idea. Everything is through internet search and knowledge of others.

I pretty much started getting into ffmpeg when I watched this video and it is this video that I still refer to. It shows you how to create a batch file.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=696ACV7gBG8&t=42s

FFmpeg installation - this is the video I followed to install ffmpeg.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlF8kg5U2kc&t=105s

The following code is a batch file, and will convert all the videos in the same folder to the listed specifications instead of doing it one by one. Put the .bat file into the same exact folder with all the videos that you want to convert, double click on the .bat file. It will create a new folder with your newly converted videos.

Copy and paste the code below into notepad, save as .bat file. You could name it anything, like Convertmkvtomp4.bat, convert.bat, thisandthat.bat, water.bat, etc.

Just copy the code as is. The only changes that you'll make would be the bold letters and numbers to your liking. If you ever need to change any parts to the code, right click on the .bat file and "edit". Once you're done making the desired changes, hit "save." Then double click on the .bat file and it'll start to convert your files automatically.

The following thread is where I found out how to change the resolution. I already tested it out on a 720x480 mp4 and converted to a 1920x1080 mp4 video
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34391499/change-video-resolution-ffmpeg
    Code:
    if not exist newfiles md newfiles
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v libx264 -vf scale=1920:1080,setdar=16:9 -acodec ac3 -b:a 128k "newfiles\%%~na.mp4" 
    pause
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v libx264 -vf scale=1920:1080,setdar=16:9 -acodec ac3 -b:a 128k "newfiles\%%~na.mp4"
    pause

Note: You can also change the converted output folder name as well. Simply change "newfiles" to anything you want, such as
    if not exist ABCsweet md ABCsweet
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v libx264 -vf scale=1920:1080,setdar=16:9 -acodec ac3 -b:a 128k "ABCsweet\%%~na.mp4"
    pause
    The blue .mp4 is the input video file type.
    The red .mp4 is the output video file type.
    It doesn't have to be the same. Blue could have been .mkv and Red could have been .mp4, or vice versa. Or Blue could have been .avi and Red .mkv, etc. etc.

If you want to keep the video exactly the same but only change the audio,
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -b:a 128k "newfiles\%%~na.mp4"
    pause

If you want to keep the audio exactly the same but only change the video
    for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v libx264 -vf scale=1920:1080,setdar=16:9 -acodec copy "newfiles\%%~na.mp4"
    pause
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by deepfrayder View Post
    Oh! i forgot this option thanks, please advise another better software than VidCoder for the same purposes.
    WHat do you mean by better? What's wrong with vidcoder?

There are encoders with more encoding options that are often recommended by the real video geeks here, but they're not particularly suited to beginners to encoding.

There are encoders which are easier to use but they achieve this by leaving out so many encoder options that it's impossible to get high quality encodes. Video encoding is actually quite complex. And since there aren't any one size fits all perfect settings ... each video has its own needs ... there's a limit to how much you can simplify it and get good results.

Vidcoder and handbrake (the former is really just a different GUI for the latter, the encoding engine is the same) probably have the best balance of ease of use and quality. You won't find better IMO. I prefer handbrake because it's very well documented. Better so than a lot of software you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks to All! for the quick and positive response
    Quote Quote