VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i have been given a cheap telecine box so i've decided to capture my old super 8mm home movies to HD video camera (Panasonic HC-VXF990).

My problem is flicker/thick horizontal black band moving vertically. I know its basically a frame rate issue so i was wondering what the best frame rate would be to record in? 24p 25p 30p? Also would altering the shutter help with this at all?

Also my projector has a speed adjustment dial that helps to slow the thick horizontal black band that moves vertically, but never really gets rid of it all together, it just eventually makes it change direction.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You will first need to manually reduce the shutter speed of your Panasonic video camera to 1/50 or 1/25 until the "black line" of the projected image goes away (probably 1/25). Then dial the projector's variable speed knob to fine-tune for a completely flicker free image.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice, I will give this a go later today and see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that pretty much worked perfect, just a slight flicker remained once I changed the shutter to 1/50 (Camera wouldn't allow me to go lower) So thanks for that. Will fix the rest in post
    Quote Quote