VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Been a while. Ahh.. the memories.

Anyway, Download the latest Vdub2. Ripped my blu-ray in MakeMKV. VD2 cuts and saves it to MKV fine but not sure which video "compression" setting to pick. I don't want compression(PQ loss) so In "select video compression" I selected "similar to source". I tried the (Uncompressed RGB/YCbCr) which yields a 500GB file from the 35GB original. Largarith which says no conversion but yielded a 10GB file. x264 8bit also said no conversion but also yielded a large file.
    Don't give in to DVD2ONE, that leads to the dark side.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Select x264 codec. If file is too large increase CRF value. You can increase compression by choosing a slower preset at the expense of encoding time. Sometimes Blu-Ray (lossless) audio can also be quite large, you may want to compress that as well.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello,
    "similar to source", "no conversion" comments only reflect the colorspace and pixel format difference of uncompressed frames. This says nothing about the compression.
    Quote Quote  
  4. what about direct stream copy ?

what types of manipulations are you doing ? what does "edit a mkv" mean ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    what about direct stream copy ?

what types of manipulations are you doing ? what does "edit a mkv" mean ?
    What I mean is to cut out particular scenes and keep everything else as is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Select x264 codec. If file is too large increase CRF value. You can increase compression by choosing a slower preset at the expense of encoding time. Sometimes Blu-Ray (lossless) audio can also be quite large, you may want to compress that as well.
    10 or 8 bit x264, the 8 bit says no conversion required.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    Hello,
    "similar to source", "no conversion" comments only reflect the colorspace and pixel format difference of uncompressed frames. This says nothing about the compression.
    So what you mean is MKV is compression and what I really meant to say is re-encode. Meaning I don't want to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think "direct stream copy" works with AVC video in Virtualdub2 does it?
    Perhaps give Avidemux a try leave video and audio on Copy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Am I crazy, I don't see a save project function in Avid.
    Last edited by Marco33; 15th Apr 2018 at 18:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Update:
    The program it self says you will get artifacts because you are not cutting on K frames. I let it make the video and there was artifacts in the cut scene.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Marco33 View Post
    Update:
    The program it self says you will get artifacts because you are not cutting on K frames. I let it make the video and there was artifacts in the cut scene.
    All non re-encoding cutting tools require you to cut on keyframes - it's the only way to ensure absolutely no re-encoding

If you need frame accuracy not on a keyframe, you need a "smart renderer" which re-encodes only the frames in the affected GOP . So this minimizes the quality loss. eg. videoredo, solveigmm video splitter, tmpgenc smart renderer
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You need to use the following after your done cutting.

File -> Export -> Stream Copy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You need to use the following after your done cutting.

File -> Export -> Stream Copy
    Thanks for this
    Quote Quote