VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Consider supporting us by disable adblocker or buy Replay Video Capture or PlayON and record Netflix!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post on Videohelp

I'd like to transfer VHS tapes to my PC, and burn them to DVD, after performing some basic editing. In doing so, I need a suitable video capture card.

The AIW 9600 AGP card is one option. It should work with my 1Ghz Pentium 3 PC, as the motherboard (Asus CUSL2-C) has a 4x/2x AGP slot on it.

A few days ago, I came across this card on eBay. However, although it is supplied with an input A/V breakout cable (for S-Video, Composite and L/R Audio), it isn't supplied with the A/V output cable that fits into the white connector (see attached image).

Since I haven't been able to find the A/V output cable anywhere, I was wondering if I could just install a second PCI graphics card, and ignore the video output on the AIW 9600 card ?

As a second option, would the ATI TV Wonder HD600 PCI card work (in XP Mode) on my Windows 7 (Intel Xeon) PC ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ati_radeon_9600_aiw_s.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	952.1 KB
ID:	45171  

Last edited by Eagle_FL3D; 14th Apr 2018 at 07:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    No cable = useless card. Never buy an incomplete ATI AIW.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

Although the AIW is incomplete (no A/V output cable), cannot I just use the included "purple" A/V input cable to capture the video (via a TBC), and then use a second (PCI) graphics card to display/monitor the video ?

Please also note that the software CD is provided.
    Last edited by Eagle_FL3D; 15th Apr 2018 at 06:58.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, no.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for any misunderstanding on my part.

I was under the impression that two video cards (input/output) inside my PC would do the job, and that this is otherwise "standard practice" when using dedicated "capture-only" cards.

I can only assume that using an AIW in this way is unworkable, as it leads to lost frames, PC crashes etc.

I'll therefore look for a complete AIW package instead.
    Last edited by Eagle_FL3D; 17th Apr 2018 at 00:20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This will serve you well:
    https://www.ebay.com/i/152166464689?chn=ps
    I've used this PCI card on both an XP and Win7 PCs for VCR captures, excellent quality (though macrovision susceptible). Still got it in service on an old computer I have sitting around connected to a JVC SR V10u. Note that this card's TV tuner section is obsolete: analog only. I also got the 650 pci-e card for its digital tuner; its capture quality is not as good IMO (which was disappointing).
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; 17th Apr 2018 at 15:00.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheFamilyMan View Post
    I've used this PCI card on both an XP and Win7 PCs for VCR captures, excellent quality (though macrovision susceptible). Still got it in service on an old computer I have sitting around connected to a JVC SR V10u. Note that this card's TV tuner section is obsolete: analog only. I also got the 650 pci-e card for its digital tuner; its capture quality is not as good IMO (which was disappointing).
    Note that there are no Windows 7 drivers available for the TV Wonder 550 card. There are Vista drivers available at https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

...but I won't promise that Vista drivers will install correctly and function on an up-to-date Windows 7 installation at this point.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for suggesting this card (TV Wonder 550). Unfortunately, the seller does not ship to Australia

I'll certainly keep it in mind though.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Note that there are no Windows 7 drivers available for the TV Wonder 550 card. There are Vista drivers available at https://support.amd.com/en-us/download

...but I won't promise that Vista drivers will install correctly and function on an up-to-date Windows 7 installation at this point.
    In my case, it's probably best to use Windows XP, or even Windows 7 Professional (XP Mode).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW, I use the vista driver for my 550 card in Win7 home. No problems at all; using VirtualDub to capture. The 650 card I have is problematic for capturing. Half the time locking the video signal is dodgy, and when it does capture, it seems to have issues with dark to light scene transitions where it initially over blooms the brightness (perhaps it's defective...I really can't say either way). The TV Wonder 750 card may be your best bet at availability. Good luck with your efforts.

Edit: Probably any ATI TV Wonder card will do nicely (550, 600, 650, 750). The AIW cards are overkill; don't need AGP for video capture.
    Last edited by TheFamilyMan; 18th Apr 2018 at 23:33.
    Usually long gone and forgotten
    Quote Quote