VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello to all,
    I hope you are doing well

I have downloaded a high quality high bitrate 4k Demo from this site:

Code:
    http://4kmedia.org/sony-camping-in-nature-4k-demo/
    The problem is none of the players I have play this video smoothly. There is a massive lag. I have tried VLC Player, PotPlayer, KM Player, MPC, to no avail.

POWER DVD is the best player I have tried so far, but I still have the lag.

Can you maybe download the video and see if you have the same problem? What player should I try?

Here's my computer's specs:

Code:
    It has two GPUs.

GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 4Gb
    GPU 2: Intel Graphics 4600 2Gb
    Ram:12Gb
    CPU: i7 4720 2.60 Ghz
    Do I need to change the settings or something?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that neither of your graphics adapters can provide hardware decoding for HEVC and the i7 4720HQ in your laptop is not powerful enough to decode 10-bit 60 fps UHD H.265 video using software.

[Edit]I found advice in another forum which suggested enabling DXVA. Instructions for Potplayer https://wiki.mikejung.biz/PotPlayer

If enabling DXVA doesn't help, you need a new computer with a better graphics adapter if you want to use one to play video with those specs.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Apr 2018 at 13:08.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's beautiful looking video but I couldn't display it properly on my PC either. Not exactly stuttering, more slow motion.
    However, it did look spectacular when viewed on my LG TV via WebOS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It would play smoothly on two of my PCs, the one in my Computer Details used 65% GPU on the video card and about 25% CPU.
    Surprisingly, it plays smoothly on my new PC with the Ryzen 3 2200G CPU with ON-CPU Radeon Vega graphics.
    Used about 81% GPU and about 5% CPU.

I used MPC-HC X64 on both PCs.
    But I don't have a 4K display, just a 1920 X 1080 monitor. I did try setting the video GPU to 3840 X 2160 on the Vega graphics and that works,
    but doesn't seem any better, maybe just a tiny bit blurry, which is probably just the display.

My laptop wouldn't play it at all, just still frames.
    The laptop has a i7 6700HQ CPU with Intel Graphics 530. I didn't check the CPU/GPU usage as it wasn't playing anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perfectly smooth on PotPlayer, but I have the right hardware (Pascal GPU)
    Quote Quote