VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone! I just got a brand new awesome pc (at my company) and I need advice on what software to install on it that is free for commercial use.

I used to dabble a lot with video and with awesome apps like VirtualDub and AviSynth and similars. But, that was ages ago, back when I had hair on my head, and after a long hiatus I find my self back in the game and again having awesome time playing with video and motion.

But the problem is I lost track of what's going on in the editing world today and what are good apps to use. I had to do a quick recut of an iPhone video, and even though I used AviDemux for it, it had to be done quickly, so somehow I ended up installing dozens of codecs/codec packs and various other editing programs. And my pc looked like crap. Shiny new crap, but still a crap.

So, I reinstalled it and now I need some help. Can you help me make a list of must have free (for commercial use software) that will not screw up my pc? And no 1click apps please, I am mainly interested in apps like VirtualDub, meaning no crap software written by good folks who care about their users. My main editing app is Vegas, and I am trying to learn Resolve, Fusion and OpenShot, so the actual video editing is covered. Primary focus should be apps/codecs one must have in order to deal with all the formats out there, to be able to succesfully open and edit them on the fly - sometimes you have no time or need to deal with vegas recoding the whole video.

So to sum app, must have software you always use, especially the do's and don't regarding the codecs one must have.
    Last edited by testamentum; 13th Apr 2018 at 01:59.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualDub2, AVIDemux, for video, Gimp for graphics, Open Office for word processing, VidCoder for video conversion, ImgBurn for burning DVD/CD/BDs, Audacity for audio, AVStoDVD for DVD conversions, 7zip for decoding, MKVToolNix for MKV files, VideoLAN for playback, and probably a lot more.

Other members may have different suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    please provide the specs of the new PC so as to give others something to go on
    and give recommendations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    VirtualDub2, AVIDemux, for video, Gimp for graphics, Open Office for word processing, VidCoder for video conversion, ImgBurn for burning DVD/CD/BDs, Audacity for audio, AVStoDVD for DVD conversions, 7zip for decoding, MKVToolNix for MKV files, VideoLAN for playback, and probably a lot more.

Other members may have different suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Thanx for the welcome and the list. Of all the listed I'm not using only VidCoder and AVStoDVD. Got any suggestions as to which codecs I need to function properly? I had to install QuickTime, and a bunch of x264/h264 codecs... I'm sure there's a better way for that.
    Last edited by testamentum; 13th Apr 2018 at 02:36.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    please provide the specs of the new PC so as to give others something to go on
    and give recommendations.
    Ryzen 7, 16Gigs of RAM, Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti, Samsung NVME 960 pcie 500GB (will have to add more hard drives, of course)
    Quote Quote  
  6. I would suggest:
    Kubuntu OS - free (has built in CD/DVD/Blu-ray burning app.)
    Vidcutter - free. For quick trimming of almost any type of clip. (to remove commercial breaks without re-encoding)
    Flowblade - free. Full video editor, titler, effects etc.

With those (everything at zero cost, although I suggest donations to their respective authors) you get a full video editing suite. Bear in mind that Kubuntu supports a full graphics editor GIMP that in my mind surpasses Photoshop and of course a full office suite, web browser, email client and so on. I can dual boot to a Windows OS and use applications there but to be honest, I can't even remember when I last did that.

Brian.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by betwixt View Post
    I would suggest:
    Kubuntu OS - free (has built in CD/DVD/Blu-ray burning app.)
    Vidcutter - free. For quick trimming of almost any type of clip. (to remove commercial breaks without re-encoding)
    Flowblade - free. Full video editor, titler, effects etc.

With those (everything at zero cost, although I suggest donations to their respective authors) you get a full video editing suite. Bear in mind that Kubuntu supports a full graphics editor GIMP that in my mind surpasses Photoshop and of course a full office suite, web browser, email client and so on. I can dual boot to a Windows OS and use applications there but to be honest, I can't even remember when I last did that.

Brian.
    Thanks, but unfortunately Linux is not an option. If it was my home pc, then yes, but it would be too much a hassle juggling betweein Linux and Windows. I might jst try Flowblade at home.

I' m a long time supporter of freeware/open source software, and have sontributed a buck or two to some, but I just never could get used to GIMP's interface. Inkscape - awesome in every way, Paint.net - certainly not close to GIMP featurewise, but much better interface (even though it still lacks a lot). But GIMP... I know it's silly, but just the look of it makes it hard for me to try and learn it...

But, I like where this list is going
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Btw, I'd really like some tips on which codec(s) to install... mostly I'm editing iphone/android recordings, but I really don't want to install junk packs. And I will mostly export to h264 and probably h265 (which I only find out about today, but seems to be praised by many...).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Quicktime? On a pc? In 2018?
    The other choices seem to line up well, but that stands curiously out of place.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. just shift it all to 64bit if possible, ..., notice, you cannot use 32bit Avisynth then, but to shift to 64 bit is a good thing, to get out of this 32 vs. 64 bit nightmare

---Vegas, Resolve
    ---Photohop (some old versions, as long it is CS)
    ---VirtualDub2 64bit (loads mp4 and other files, it is not avi only, VapourSynth scripts , exports mp4 as well), it was renamed from VirtualDub FilterMod to VirtualDub2, so it makes more sense that it is a successor of former VirtualDub
    ---some lossless codec, it is handy once in a while, like utvideo,or other lossless, whatever you prefer, no codec packs
    ---as a media player use mpv player, simple and very fast player that can play videofiles without gaps between files (think of captured camcorder files in a directory) and you can make it custom fit using config files. Those so call popular video players got bloated in time.
    ---some batch mp4 encoder might be handy from time to time, like Vidcoder (it uses Handbrake)

---optional -> Vapoursynth 64bit, it needs Python 3 64bit , download Python's windows x86-64bit executable installer that is at bottom on that page, before check if it is Python 3 latest version, from that python.org website. So first install Python, then Vapoursynth (installs 64bit into Program Files(x86) directory, weird, but it works). Then VS Editor 64bit to edit those scripts or play them, and then maybe MPC-HC for playing those scripts as well (or using VirtualDub2)
    ---optional -> install DebugMode Frame server for Vegas and use 64bit driver for that server, to be able to load those signpost avi's into 64bit Vapoursynth

you did not mentioned any delivery scheme, so that might add some to the list
    Last edited by _Al_; 13th Apr 2018 at 13:10.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using gimp as well and also in my opinion it surpasses photoshop but i use it with a photoshop like layout and i love it
    Just install Gimp (linux or Windows ) and install the layout.
    https://github.com/doctormo/GimpPs

Or try this http://photoflare.io/ although it is not for Windows jet
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Quicktime? On a pc? In 2018?
    The other choices seem to line up well, but that stands curiously out of place.

Scott
    I know. Hated it 10 years ago, hate it today. But when trying to open iphone clips, Vegas insisted I needed Quick Time. Sure enough, after installing it, clips loaded fine. So I'm kinda wondering how to load them in Vegas without installing quickie.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    just shift it all to 64bit if possible, ..., notice, you cannot use 32bit Avisynth then, but to shift to 64 bit is a good thing, to get out of this 32 vs. 64 bit nightmare

---Vegas, Resolve
    ---Photohop (some old versions, as long it is CS)
    ---VirtualDub2 64bit (loads mp4 and other files, it is not avi only, VapourSynth scripts , exports mp4 as well), it was renamed from VirtualDub FilterMod to VirtualDub2, so it makes more sense that it is a successor of former VirtualDub
    ---some lossless codec, it is handy once in a while, like utvideo,or other lossless, whatever you prefer, no codec packs
    ---as a media player use mpv player, simple and very fast player that can play videofiles without gaps between files (think of captured camcorder files in a directory) and you can make it custom fit using config files. Those so call popular video players got bloated in time.
    ---some batch mp4 encoder might be handy from time to time, like Vidcoder (it uses Handbrake)

---optional -> Vapoursynth 64bit, it needs Python 3 64bit , download Python's windows x86-64bit executable installer that is at bottom on that page, before check if it is Python 3 latest version, from that python.org website. So first install Python, then Vapoursynth (installs 64bit into Program Files(x86) directory, weird, but it works). Then VS Editor 64bit to edit those scripts or play them, and then maybe MPC-HC for playing those scripts as well (or using VirtualDub2)
    ---optional -> install DebugMode Frame server for Vegas and use 64bit driver for that server, to be able to load those signpost avi's into 64bit Vapoursynth

you did not mentioned any delivery scheme, so that might add some to the list
    Yeah baby, 64 bit whenever possible

VirtualDub2 64bit was the first one I downloaded. Hell, I'd probably get it even if it wasn't updated since I last used it. Superb piece of software!

Utvideo - how does it compare to Lagarith, which I am currently using?

OMG, DebugMode Frame server is still being developed? Man, I used that probably in everything I ever did Always loved sending something from one editor to another.

What exactly do you mean by delivery scheme? If you mean source files, mostly Android or iPhone videos, for starters.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    I'm using gimp as well and also in my opinion it surpasses photoshop but i use it with a photoshop like layout and i love it
    Just install Gimp (linux or Windows ) and install the layout.
    https://github.com/doctormo/GimpPs
    How do you get that on Windows?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Debug mode frame server was perhaps not upgraded for couple of years but as for video , it seams to work perfectly. Confirming destination as Program Files(x86) while installing and second destination is VEGAS (created by Vegas) folder in Program Files. You could experience different kinds of audio glitches though. Good old Vegas 8.0c has no bugs frame serving as for a comparison. Installing dmfs for Vegas Studio differs a bit though, it needs to be fixed a bit.

delivery scheme, I meant delivery format DVD, BD or just videofiles mp4, mkv etc.

Important thing, Vapoursynth does not let audio thru, it is ignored. Avisynth was serving uncompressed wav but not Vapoursynth. So workflow is changed. That final audio could be exported from Vegas directly az AC3 or AAC or wav or even frame serve it to good old Avisynth. Avisynth and Vapoursynth could be both on the system. Then mux it using ffmpeg, mp4box (the most easier) or some sort of gui that passes external audio.
    Last edited by _Al_; 13th Apr 2018 at 15:45.
    Quote Quote  
  16. In my work station with Windows 10 pro I don't install ANY codec pack, I install one or other lossless codec and that's it. I use Davinci as my main software for video and a mixture of gimp and Rawtherapee for photo, but still, virtualdub and avisynth are very handy tools.

While I can do color correction and other fancy stuff in real time with Davinci, avisynth and VD can assist me by doing other fancy stuff Davinci can't do - for free - like deinterlacing/denoising with the quality of QTGMC.

Using this tools can do wonders!

This is a miniDV tape upscaled to 1080p, white balanced, color and aspect ratio corrected, noise removed using both Davinci and Avisynth.
    Last edited by amaipaipai; 13th Apr 2018 at 23:07.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @testamentum
    like the link said :

Windows installation
    via powershell:
    # exit gimp first
    cd $Env:UserProfile
    mv .gimp-2.8 .gimp-2.8.backup
    git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/doctormo/GimpPs.git .gimp-2.8
    via cmd:
    # exit gimp first
    cd %USERPROFILE%
    ren .gimp-2.8 .gimp-2.8.backup
    git clone --depth=1 https://github.com/doctormo/GimpPs.git .gimp-2.8
    I use it on Linux
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    In my work station with Windows 10 pro I don't install ANY codec pack, I install one or other lossless codec and that's it. I use Davinci as my main software for video and a mixture of gimp and Rawtherapee for photo, but still, virtualdub and avisynth are very handy tools.

While I can do color correction and other fancy stuff in real time with Davinci, avisynth and VD can assist me by doing other fancy stuff Davinci can't do - for free - like deinterlacing/denoising with the quality of QTGMC.

Using this tools can do wonders!

This is a miniDV tape upscaled to 1080p, white balanced, color and aspect ratio corrected, noise removed using both Davinci and Avisynth.
    Would you be able to post the exact steps or a tutorial of sort to get that exact effect? The before and after stills are absolutely amazing. Maybe even a completely separate thread even.

As far as the thread is concerned, I don't have anything to add. But all I will say is that I've dropped both handbrake and vidcoder in favor of MeGUI. Using default settings and only changing the bitrate, I found MeGUI to offer much better compression (smaller file and better video image quality), and also the encoding speed was much faster as well.

I've also dived into ffmpeg as well.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake View Post
    Would you be able to post the exact steps or a tutorial of sort to get that exact effect? The before and after stills are absolutely amazing. Maybe even a completely separate thread even.
    The "exact" steps is very complicated, this was a 137+ hour job for video only, if you liked the stills you should watch the final sample I've sent to the owner of this footage in 1080p.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rGV-EYLI5Q

The source material it's from a miniDV tape recorded back in 1996 (1997 maybe) with a Sony DCR-VX1000, shot with built in mic and "wide" settings.

I'm not home right know, latter I can compile something I did with this material.
    Last edited by amaipaipai; 24th Apr 2018 at 14:00.
    Quote Quote  
  20. If you're not already making images of your system drive as backups then I'd have a look at the latest Macrium Reflect Free (search for "Macrium Reflect Free" otherwise you'll struggle to find it on their website) as that is now free for commercial use (have to register IIRC), and install any codecs from Videohelp's excellent download section as and when you need them.

The main advantage of UT Video over Lagarith is that it's still being developed. My experience is that I still get slightly smaller files with Lagarith than I do with UT video, but many say the opposite is true so it may be something to do with most of my machines running older Intel core2 CPUs . . . ?

If the machine is running Windows 10 (I'm guessing it is) and will be connected to the network/internet when processing video, then consider turning off the Updates 'Delivery Optimisation' (Settings, Windows Updates, Advanced Options) and maybe setting your network connection as a Metered connection. Both of these will help to reduce the mega-faffing around in the background that Win10 does with regards updates. (You can either force the checking for updates manually or just set the network connection back to unmetered when you don't need it to be busy doing useful stuff.) If you're running an internet security package (you should be) then don't forget to exclude key video software working directories from active monitoring, and schedule scans for when the machine isn't busy.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Sorry for the delay, I'm in a tight schedule with little time to spare.

Windows 10 has issues with DV capture and to prevent anyone to waste time, better to use Linux, I've set up a dual boot with Debian. To transfere the DV data you need to install dvgrab:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install dvgrab
    You capture with:
    Code:
    dvgrab -buffers 500 -timestamp -size 0 -rewind -format dv2 -opendml NAME-
    Simple as it is, ignore the erros.

Back in Windows, Davinci works wih DV material, the free version lacks any deinterlace tools so is necessary to work the source before handle it over to Davinci, for that I use a Avisynth like this named base.avs:
    Code:
    ## Import video
    DirectShowSource("J:\DV\Your_DV_FILE.avi")

## Correct the improper 4:1:1 to 4:2:2 conversion
    ReInterpolate411()

ConvertToYV12() 

## deinterlace & noise reduction
    QTGMC(Preset="Slower", EZDenoise=1, NoisePreset="Slow")

## Necessary for Davinci 14 compatibility
    ConvertToRGB32(matrix="Rec709")
    Second step is to upscale the material without loosing the correct aspect ratio, when the footage is shot right the process is very easy, when is done wrong, it has to be fixed, for that I use a LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet to do all the math for me, it's attached as DAR.zip. That spreadsheet is a mess, I don't have time to clean it up but it does the job right, type in the Width and Height to figure it out the video DAR, next at New Target Height you type in the new Height you want, in my case 1080. At New Width you get the Width you need to set to keep the 3:2 DAR, in my case 1620x1080.

The Sony DCR-VX1000 doesn't shoot in real wide, it just stretch and squeeze the video, deforming it. To fix it I use a avisynth script done by @jagabo to correct the AR and to fill in the rest of the frame with top or side black bars, since is a 1080 upscale my script is named 1080.avs.

Code:
    ### --- Auto borders
    ## https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/272425-Auto-resize-Image-in-Avisynth
    function PadHeight(clip image, int width, int height, int AR_WIDTH, int AR_HEIGHT)
    {
    	# the frame is wider than we want, pad the top and bottom

# calculate what final height we need
    	nh = width * AR_HEIGHT / AR_WIDTH

# calculate the top and bottom borders
    	tb = (nh - height) / 2
    	bb = nh - height - tb
    	AddBorders(image, 0, tb, 0, bb)
    }

function PadWidth(clip image, int width, int height, int AR_WIDTH, int AR_HEIGHT)
    {
    	# the frame is taller than we want, pad the left and right

# calculate the final width we need
    	nw = height * AR_WIDTH / AR_HEIGHT

# calculate the left and right borders
    	lb = (nw - width) / 2
    	rb = nw - width - lb
    	AddBorders(image, lb, 0, rb, 0)
    }

## Here we import our DV material.
    Import("base.avs")

## Our best guest for "wide" is 16:9
    AR_WIDTH = 16
    AR_HEIGHT = 9

width = last.width
    height = last.height

((width * AR_HEIGHT) > (height * AR_WIDTH)) \
       ? PadHeight(last, width, height, AR_WIDTH, AR_HEIGHT)\
       : PadWidth(last, width, height, AR_WIDTH, AR_HEIGHT)

## Set new target 
    tw = 1680
    th = 1080

## PointResize is the simplest resizer possible. It uses a Point Sampler or Nearest
    ## Neighbour algorithm, which usually results in a very "blocky" image.
    ## Very good for vintage videogames and RGB purists for pixels.
    #PointResize(tw, th)

## uses standard bilinear filtering and is a good choice for smoothing overly sharp sources.
    #BilinearResize(tw, th)

## BicubicResize is similar to BilinearResize, except that instead of a linear filtering
    ## function it uses the Mitchell-Netravali two-part cubic.
    ## If you are enlarging your video, you will get sharper results with BicubicResize
    ## than with BilinearResize. However, if you are shrinking it, you may prefer
    ## BilinearResize as it performs some antialiasing.
    #BicubicResize(tw, th)

## BlackmanResize is a modification of LanczosResize that has better control of
    ## ringing artifacts for high numbers of taps.
    #BlackmanResize(tw, th)

## Lanczos4Resize is a short hand for LanczosResize(taps=4). It produces
    ## sharper images than LanczosResize with the default taps=3, especially
    ## useful when upsizing a clip. Perfect for HD upscan
    Lanczos4Resize(tw, th)

## Spline64Resize may be the most accurate of the Resize filters.
    #Spline64Resize(tw, th)
    Please note that the footage was shot in wide setting, my best guest for "wide" is 16:9, that is why AR_WIDTH and AR_HEIGHT are set to 16:9, this give us the image on the right side - without the color correction - and with a black bar on both sides.

Check everything with Virtualdub.

Now we need to convert all this to a MP4 compatible with Davinci, for that I've created this bat file named convert_davinci.bat
    Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SET tool="Avisynth, Virtualdub & x264"
    SET album="Some name"
    SET year="1996"
    SET genre="Misc"
    SET studio="Your Studio"
    SET rating="NR"
    SET copyright="Your own"
    SET comment="Recorded month and date, other important information you wanna leave"
    SET picture="video_thumbnail.png"

@ECHO ON
    :: Here we extract, fix the gain and convert audio to AAC format
    wavi.exe 1080.avs AUDIO.wav
    wavegain -l -y AUDIO.wav
    qaac\qaac.exe --threading --verbose --genre TV --text-codepage 65001 -s -V 118 -q 2 AUDIO.wav -o AUDIO.m4a
    del AUDIO.wav

:: Davinci compatible format
    :: CRF = < less compression,  > high compression CRF 15 is good for editing and to keep a backup, CRF 20 ~ 22 good for non critical videos
    :: videoformat and range are set to be compatible with Davinci 12.5 and 14
    x264.exe --preset slow --sar 1:1 --profile high --level 4.2 --crf 15 --bframes 2 --keyint 60 --threads 8 --no-interlaced --videoformat component --range pc --output "VIDEO1080.MP4" "1080.avs"

:: Mux audio and video
    mp4box -add "VIDEO1080.mp4#video" -add "AUDIO.m4a#audio:lang=eng" -tmp "D:\tmp" -new "VIDEO_MUXED1080.mp4"

:: It's much better to use any other tag tool like mp3tag or Tagscanner, left here just for future reference.
    :: mp4v2\mp4tags.exe -tool %tool% -album %album%  -year %year% -genre %genre% -studio %studio% -rating %rating% -copyright %copyright% -comment %comment% -picture %picture% -hdvideo 1 %album%-1080.mp4
    To get the last qaac and quicktime encoder/dll, download and install 7-zip and MeGUI, do a update selecting qaac package and follow instructions at MeGUI\tools\qaac. By the way I use x264.exe from MeGUI too.

This process can take hours to finish, it took up to 12 hours per 60 min miniDV tape with my set up, it worth the time!

There is no shortcut to do color correction and color grading this material, for those starting, here is a tip. For every scene change you have to do a cut to match both scenes the best way possible and learn to use nodes, they are like Photoshop layers.

For color correction I set the initial gamma points, black, white, in this case the blacks and whites are already clipped and there is nothing to recover from that, so I leave the way it is. Next we need to white balance the scene and there are different ways to do this, you can use Gimp to find the middle gray hotspot by filling up a new layer with 50% gray, set the layer to difference, view from visible and threshold, on threshold set the left settings to 0(zero) and the right to 10, you should see a gray hotspot glow white on the screen, if not, increase the right value.

You can import this to Davinci to find your blacks and whites, add a node and on the Color tab, there is the Primary Wheels, look over the Gain wheel, on the top left with a white dot, you use that on the screen to find your white spot, for blacks you have the lift wheel. In general, you don't have to use the lift settings.

For color grading, we gona enhance the scene by popping up the colors, saturation and fix any color drift, that are different ways to do this, the easiest way is to add a node, bellow the Gain wheel there is the Saturation setting named Sat, increase that to saturate the colors. Even with the scene white balanced it might happen that the scene is too hot (red), too cold (blue) or too green. You can mess with the Gain wheel, but I rather prefer to use the Curves and cut or boost the channels directly.

You can see on the scopes that the green channel is overlapping the other channels.
    Here is the corrected one:

Looking at the scopes you see a staircase like signal with the channels, you can find on books or in tutorials over the internet saying that you have to set the channels at the same equal levels, this is not always true! If you work with profissional grade material, some times all you have to do is to align the channels, other times you have to figure it out by yourself because it's not a law that has to be followed. In this case, all I had to do was to cut down the green channel and adjust the blue channel until the colors look natural, there is a more precise way to do this by using the vectorscope to do a 99.99% color fix using different techniques, this is way off topic but I leave a link below.

As you can see cutting or boosting this channels will compensate the camera color deficiency or color drifting, again, this is very basic and there are other more precise techniques to use. It's much, much more easy to do than to write.

I'm sorry, this is a very long topic and my time is short, I'll leave a few links to some Davinci video tutorials I like and learned from.

As for the topic OP, as you can see, all this was done with free tools to get pretty good results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74wNG3wFdtU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI19X_JUeoI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq-JSXGff6M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqYanRmpt_M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d9CSfwBf3Q
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNviUbjFoo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UlpZDAVWw8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oq8hPEsXUI

See ya!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote