VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been using MPC-HC for YEARS! Up until today it has played absolutely everything that I have thrown at it. But now I have one video that I cannot get to play. It does play in VLC, but I would like to get it to play in MPC as I prefer that player.

I don't know a whole lot about this, but I have attached the Media Info, hoping someone here can help me get this to play in MPC. I don't want to blindly install a bunch of codecs, especially since I never have had to.

MPC is latest version.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Give mpc-be portable a try and see if it plays. Mediainfo seems to imply there is some missing
    info in the header, it cannot identify the codec - although Mpeg-4 Visual implies some variant of Divx or Xvid

Another option is to try avidemux and put it into an avi container.
    Leave the video as "copy", change the audio to mp3
    and choose "avi muxer" as the output format
    Last edited by davexnet; 12th Apr 2018 at 18:48.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Give mpc-be portable a try and see if it plays. Mediainfo seems to imply there is some missing
    info in the header, it cannot identify the codec - although Mpeg-4 Visual implies some variant of Divx or Xvid

Thank you so much for the info. I will try MPC-BE. I did look at that before writing my post but everything I found was older than the version of MPC-HC that I had. Your link seems to provide a much newer release. Is MPC-BE still being developed and maintained?

When you say "although Mpeg-4 Visual implies some variant of Divx or Xvid" and you meaning that it technically SHOULD play in MPC-HC?

Also I will give Avidemux a try as I would not only like to make it play on MPC-HC, but I would like to get the files size down a bit too.

If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the info.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tmoca View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post

Thank you so much for the info. I will try MPC-BE. I did look at that before writing my post but everything I found was older than the version of MPC-HC that I had. Your link seems to provide a much newer release. Is MPC-BE still being developed and maintained?

When you say "although Mpeg-4 Visual implies some variant of Divx or Xvid" and you meaning that it technically SHOULD play in MPC-HC?

Also I will give Avidemux a try as I would not only like to make it play on MPC-HC, but I would like to get the files size down a bit too.

If anyone else has suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the info.
    Best place to download this kind of software is right here; that link is created by this site when certain keywords are used.
    The mod(s) do a very good job of administering the software. As you can see mpc-be is still being developed.

mpc-hc can certainly play Mpeg-4 visual; it could be that the missing codec info is to blame.

If you're interested in getting the file size down, in Avidemux, re-encode the video to mpeg-4 AVC.
    Where it says video:copy change it to mpeg-4 AVC. Hit configure, and on the general tab, deselect "use advanced configuration"
    and set preset to "very fast". OK out

Leave the audio as copy
    Set "output format" to mp4 muxer.
    File/Save
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks!!! I think I got it all squared away. Much appreciated.

I do have 2 more questions that are a bit off topic...

1) In regards to MPC-BE is there a benefit to installing or running the portable version?
    2) Is SMPlayer worth taking a look at or is MPC-BE better?
    Quote Quote  
  6. MPC-BE is better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. might be late but i had the same problem solution to fix it search for codec tweak tool > general> fixes> tick the first 4 and apply
    edit: i forgot i had this issue befor and now i found my own comment to solve this issue after 1 year XD
    Last edited by sarksi_yol1; 6th Oct 2019 at 02:53.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sarksi_yol1 View Post
    might be late but i had the same problem solution to fix it search for codec tweak tool > general> fixes> tick the first 4 and apply
    edit: i forgot i had this issue befor and now i found my own comment to solve this issue after 1 year XD
    I have JUST registered this account just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been having this issue for a long time (months if not years)...I had the first 3 ticked, when I tick the forth one, BOOM...the video ran PERFECTLY!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ThankYOu2020 View Post
    Originally Posted by sarksi_yol1 View Post
    might be late but i had the same problem solution to fix it search for codec tweak tool > general> fixes> tick the first 4 and apply
    I have JUST registered this account just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I have been having this issue for a long time (months if not years)...I had the first 3 ticked, when I tick the forth one, BOOM...the video ran PERFECTLY!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
    welcome it drived me crazy so commented for future reference
    Quote Quote