VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I read somewhere that if you're burning a home-made/youtube video to play it on your DVD player the format must be MPEG-2 or your player probably won't take it. Is that correct?

I have a Youtube video which I downloaded and saved with an .MP4 extension. It plays fine in both VLC and FAB 7, but ripped to DVD media it won't play on my old DVD player. I'm an old hand backing up my movies but Youtube is alien to me. Could you recommend freeware programs that are all-in-one — meaning, automatically perform all the software steps — sampling, streaming, synching, etc. — in the conversion process, for a novice like myself? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is that correct?
    Yes. A subset of MPEG-2 actually.

recommend freeware programs
    Install AVStoDVD and ImgBurn. Drop your MP4 file onto AVStoDVD and press "Start" to produce a DVD that starts playback of your video when inserted into a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Install AVStoDVD ~~
    I installed it, but its executable won't run because I get the same MSCOMCTL.OCX Error that dozens of other people have gotten. The author assures the error has been cleaned up in his latest iteration — Version 2.8.0.7 — but that is the version I'm running.

The only thing that comes to mind is an option (at some point) during the install where I was prompted to install an ActiveX file, which I didn't because Microsoft's ActiveX tool is notoriously buggy! and I avoid it anywhere and everywhere if possible. I've submitted a trouble ticket so I guess we'll see what happens . . .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hi.heaux View Post
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Install AVStoDVD ~~
    I installed it, but its executable won't run because I get the same MSCOMCTL.OCX Error that dozens of other people have gotten. The author assures the error has been cleaned up in his latest iteration — Version 2.8.0.7 — but that is the version I'm running.

The only thing that comes to mind is an option (at some point) during the install where I was prompted to install an ActiveX file, which I didn't because Microsoft's ActiveX tool is notoriously buggy! and I avoid it anywhere and everywhere if possible. I've submitted a trouble ticket so I guess we'll see what happens . . .
    Are you running the portable version? Try the installer supposed to take care of it

That file is the Windows Visual Basic controls, which the program needs
    Last edited by davexnet; 12th Apr 2018 at 22:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Jutht u wait u thilly ... hi.heaux's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Are you running the portable version? Try the installer supposed to take care of it
    I'd never go portable on something this object oriented. No, this was using the Installer, most definitely not portable.
    Quote Quote