VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to correct the synchronization of a subtitle to a TV show episode. Srt is about 3 seconds after the action

Can't get this to work.

But it's just occurred to me that it could be because the movie file and the subtitle file are two separate items.

My questions:

1) Is this so? Does the subtitle need to be embedded\merged in the movie file?
    2) Is so, what's the best way to merge the two?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the times on the SRT are constantly 3 seconds behind, then just use one of the subtitle editors like Subtitle Edit, Aegisub, etc. to adjust the timings 3 seconds later. If the subtitles in the SRT have the wrong timings then embedding (Hardcoding) would still put them in the wrong place unless the timing data is corrected first.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, but...

I tried SubTitle Edit (as well as a few other apps) but I couldn't get it to work.

I guessed I needed to load the movie via File>Open, but when I told the app where look, it said 'No Subtitle'. As I said, the sub wasn't embedded - just in the same folder as the movie. And when I went File\Open on the SRT, it told me I was missing all kinds of codecs and stuff.

It went on to load the subtitle text, and I can see it, but it's not much use as I can't sync it to the movie.

What am I missing?
    Quote Quote  
  4. First you open the subtitle via "File"->"Open". Then you load the video via "Video"->"Open video file".

I usually don't bother with the second part. I start playing the movie in MPC-HC, then drag&drop the subtitle file on it and then use the "+"/"-" buttons to see when sync is achieved. Then I just open the subtitle file in SubtitleEdit ("File"->"Open" or drag&drop) and go "Synchronization"->"Adjust all times".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks very much, sounds like something I can manage without getting too confused
    Quote Quote