VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a couple of DVDs for which I want to replace the menu, but without altering chapter markers or re-encoding the actual feature. Is this doable?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes.

One way could be to rip the DVD with MakeMKV. The chapter points from the DVD will be in the created MKV file(s).

Use it in DVDStyler in a project without a template. It should automatically select "Copy" mode for video/audio, eg no re-encoding and use the chapter points from the MKV file. Create the menu(es) to your liking.

[Attachment 45131 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Wouldn't the MKV itself be a re-encode?

Is there a way to do it with an Encore menu?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In avs2dvd you can demux the DVD and reimport the raw streams again. Makemkv doesn't re-encode, it just recapsulates the streams
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pgcedit allows replacing one menu with another, but making the menu functional requires expertise with the navigation commands and parameters used to control DVD operation.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. I wrote a guide once upon a time for editing and replacing menus in a DVD. The upshot is - for your use - you have to keep the buttons (the things you click on to go somewhere in the DVD) in the same place. If that's okay, then click the link. If not, forget about it:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/254043-Guide-for-extracting-menus-for-editing-and-...g-edited-menus

Another way is to create the menu you want in whatever menu creation program you like. I use DVDAuthorGUI; you want to use Encore. For the video just use something very short (I use a DVD song). But create the same number of chapters as the one you want already has. Times aren't important, only the number of chapters. Then, after creating that 'dummy DVD' and confirming it works as intended with the new and better menu, use PGCEdit to replace the short DVD video with the original one.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How would I go about using PGCEdit with the 'dummy DVD' method or altering navigation commands? I've used it before, but just to mark a layer break where I want it. There looks to be so much more it can do, but I've never found a guide anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  8. First you open the new DVD with the new and improved menu and the short video. Highlight the short video. Then go File->Replace VSTS Titles->OK, and point it to the IFO for the 'real' video from the original DVD.

If the DVD is complex it might not work (it'll tell you). If that's the case the fallback way is to use VobBlanker. Open the new DVD as before, highlight the short video so it appears in the lower window, highlight it in the lower window and hit the 'Replace' button on the right side. Then scroll to the IFO for the original video and take it from there.

There are lots of guides for the use of PGCEdit. Just go and have a look at the bottom of the PGCEdit page on this site. There's even one for what you want to do.

http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/Simplistic_Guide_for_Replacing_DVD_Streams_page1.html

I didn't check it out, but the title says it explains how to do what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've used PGCEdit & it can be a difficult program to use.

There is another software for working with DVD menus.
    TitleWriter
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/TitleWriter

It's online Help has a good guide.

It just works with the menu no encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
    Wouldn't the MKV itself be a re-encode?

Is there a way to do it with an Encore menu?
    The mkv is a straight copy of the original mpeg2 put in a mkv container,no re-encoding done.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by koberulz
    I have a couple of DVDs for which I want to replace the menu, but without altering chapter markers or re-encoding the actual feature. Is this doable?
    Then you want to a re-authoring, demux all the dvd stream; video audio subtitles and chapters with pgcdemux and create your DVD author with a program type DVDLAB or other.

Or use the manomo guide.
    Quote Quote