VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good Afternoon-

I am in the process of converting some home movies to VHS-C and I am getting some blinking footage, it blinks to a black screen and then comes back to normal and it does this quite frequently and does it fast, its rather annoying, the audio is perfect and thats not being affected. (Please note), I an put in another tape and it will play fine, i'll put in the next tape and i get the blinking issue again there's no rhyme or reason. I'm using a VHS-C Camcorder hooked up to my pc and i've tried tracking and that only helps so much and then it comes back a bit later. I've also used a VHS-C adapter and put it into a VCR and it does the same thing. Any advice you could give would be great. Id upload a video sample, but i don't have it in any website to attach a link.

Thanks for looking and helping in advance

Sincerely- Douglas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are triggering some kind of Macrovision protection.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that something I have a control over, or can fix ?? (I've never heard of that before(LOL))

Thanks- Douglas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe you can give more detail on your setup and why you are transferring stuff to VHS-C, which is not a great destination for anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I’m taking it from VHS-C to digital, in not putting things onto a VHS-C tape. I’m using an ion VHS2PC unit and I’m using a JVC GR-AXM80U camcorder to transfer from. The tapes I’m transferring were not recorded from this exact camcorder as well, if that means anything, what’s funny about all this, is that some of the tapes play perfectly, and some are very blinky, I just can’t figure it out and how to correct it. Thanks much 👍👍

Douglas
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dward1222 View Post
    I've also used a VHS-C adapter and put it into a VCR and it does the same thing.
    This suggests that either the blinks are recorded that way or there are glitches that your ION converter treats the same no matter where you play back from. Does manually adjusting the tracking make a difference?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ION converter = yuck.

Probably a standard "lack of TBC" problem here.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply, I know the ION converter isn’t the best, I get it, but it’s all I have as well, what would you suggest as an alternate ??? And what’s a “lack of TBC” ????
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dward1222 View Post
    And what’s a “lack of TBC” ????
    Search the Capturing section for "TBC" and you will find enough information to make your head spin.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe post a short clip of the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info, I’ll do a search for the issue and see what I can figure out, I’ll also try to get a small clip together, I just wish I could upload it right from my pc instead of posting it to the web and then sharing it, that seams a bit silly.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Don't post it to the web. We don't want it re-processed by some website anyway. You can post an unaltered cut here in the forum. Haven't you noticed the icon under the reply window that says "Upload files/.Manage Attachments"? If you don't see it, use Advanced mode in the reply window. What format are you capturing to?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you LMotow, I’ll look for that, the only thing I saw was a film strip icon and that said to upload a url web address, I’ll look for the “upload file/manage attachments” link. I’m capturing to MP4, but I convert it to anything else in premiere pro.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi There- Here is a small clip of some of the worst footage, while i was recording, i di go through the "Tracking" features and that why you'll see the "SNOW" kind of move on the screen, but as you can see,,,it never got good or better,,,just not sure what's going on. Thanks for taking a look and offering any advise or solutions to this issue

Sincerely- Douglas
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Certainly stopped cutting out so much when you were messing with the tracking and the screen turns to snow. It also does not look like this video was recorded with flickering in it, but just the ION device is cutting out.

Do these tapes play fine on a CRT or LCD TV?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there, and no, it does not play well on the camcorders crt, it doesn’t Flickr, but does have snow and the picture “rolls” on the screen, so even if the blinking is not on the crt, it has its own set of issues (lol)
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    Possibly dropouts. Stop the cassette, pull it out, open the door, and inspect the physical condition of the tape. Is it creased? Crinkled? Flaking? These all cause loss of signal.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, the tape is perfectly flat with no creases or anything, it’s got a smooth clean surface as well.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    So the problem is with the recording or maybe the tape has degraded in a not-so-visible way (like shrinking). You will need a better A/D converter and/or a conditioning device like a DVD recorder (q.v. in the Capturing section).
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tips and advice, I really appriciate it ������
    Quote Quote