VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. There is not much I can say about it, I process the footage in avisynth, do a proper deinterlacing and use Davinci to do the rest. You can download and use the free version of Davinci to do white balance, color grading, basic text and text effects.

Look for these terms over YouTube to find tons of tutorials about it.

That's it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know this is an older thread, but let me ask anyway.

I hooked up my TRV820E camcorder via firewire and was able to use WinDV just fine. I believe this was with the "normal" IEEE1394 driver that comes with Windows 10. However, after having "issues" with vdub2 because I wasn't seeing any codecs, I installed the IEEE1394 legacy driver. It turns out that I am not able to see the codecs because DV is a "fixed" format and it had nothing to do with the firewire driver. Well, too late now! I tried everything from installing drivers, Windows 7, uninstalling drivers, switching back to Windows 10 and so on, that I got to the point where my camera is recognized by windows 10, vdub2, screnalyzer and Windows Movie Maker but not by WinDV!?

I read that you are not supposed to "hot plug" the firewire cable, which I was doing all day long, so I thought I ruined my connection. But that cannot be true if I can still see the camera in other apps, right?

So the question is: Why can I not see it in WinDV?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If SClive works use it, It is better anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    If SClive works use it, It is better anyway.
    My laptop was running Windows 7 at some point. Then, before I upgraded to Windows 10, I made an "image" [of Windows 7] using Macrium Reflect and then installed Windows 10. I always do that in case I do not like the new OS. I did like Windows 10 but had a few issues running capture software and getting firewire to work. I read that a lot of people were saying this might be due to Windows 10. Well, I just brought back the image I made of Windwos 7 and guess what, WinDV is not working with no issues.

That said, I tried SClive but it looks waayyyy more complext than WinDV. So let me ask you this: What is "better" about SClive?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just did a google search and found my answer.
    Last edited by plehoediv; 10th Apr 2023 at 18:21.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It looks more complicated, but as soon as you figure out each setting and what it does, it becomes as easy as WinDV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like the options and quality of Scenalyzer Live, but I also wonder how many people have gotten WinDV to work on Windows 10, and how?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    I like the options and quality of Scenalyzer Live, but I also wonder how many people have gotten WinDV to work on Windows 10, and how?
    try reading this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/VHS/comments/iz5qhl/help_digitalizing_mini_dv_in_windows_10/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    They both work on Windows 10 and even 11 as long as drivers are working, However Sclive is more forgiving when it comes to signal drop outs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drivers or codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Firewire drivers. No codec needed unless you want to convert the DV files to something else, or convert other files to DV for print to tape.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right; DV file "capture" is nothing more than a file transfer. Still, does Windows 10 natively have the DV codecs? That appears to be the problem plehoediv experienced.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    WinDV has nothing to do with codecs, He might think he has codec problems but that's not the case.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It looks more complicated, but as soon as you figure out each setting and what it does, it becomes as easy as WinDV.
    Probably.

Any idea on how to get rid of the "film strip" while capturing? I would prefer if I don't see that. Other than that, I already used it a few times and its not too bad anymore.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    I am in the middle of finding out what those options are and how I will benefit from them. I still have a hard time understanding, why a software would make a difference, when it comes to simply moving files from one "side" to another!?

In regard to Windows 10: I forgot if I got WinDV to work on mine or not, ha ha. I jump back and forth between OS', threads, forums and what not. I will be able to tell you once I run Win10 again... which should be in 20min.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    try reading this reddit thread - https://www.reddit.com/r/VHS/comments/iz5qhl/help_digitalizing_mini_dv_in_windows_10/
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    However Sclive is more forgiving when it comes to signal drop outs.
    See, this is the info I am look for. This might be a reason to use one app over the other...

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    I use Vegas to copy miniDV tapes from my camcorder. Works without a problem (Vegas 18 and 19, version 20 I did not check).
    (You need to enable this in Options under the Deprecated Features tab.)
    Quote Quote  
  18. I just brought back a Windows 10 Image (Macrium Reflect) and fair enough, WinDV does NOT work! I really do not mind, because:

A. I have Windows 7 installed as well.

B. I am still not 100% sure I should even use WinDV

C. Who cares. LOL

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    NLE software such as Premiere and Vegas have the capture as an option, not the main function, They are not suitable for the mojority of people because they are expensive, installation is long, complicated settings. Sclive, WinDV and HDVsplit for HDV are lightwight, simple and single function apps, and can be used by anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I hope this is not too off topic, but this is what I would do, if I wanted to use WinDV, but it does not run on my current Windows 10 PC.

A. Buy Windows 7. I have seen them as cheap as 4 bucks online. Everage price on eBay is like 15 bucks or so. Install Win 7 as a Dualboot. Really easy to do and I would think that anyone "messing" around with this video stuff is knowledgeable enough to do this. Here is a link on how to do it. (Don't know the guy. First video that came up on YT.) Now, there are risks at doing this, so maybe look at this article.

B. Do what I do. Make an image of your current Windows 10 machine and then install Windows 7 as a fresh install. Then make an image of that. Now you can bring back the image of the version of Windows you would like to use. The downside is that it takes longer to restore images, but who doesn't have 10 minutes. BTW, that is how long it takes on my 10-year-old Laptop. On a modern PC it might take only minutes. Besides, I am a fan of making images anyway, every time I "mess" with my OS. I used Acronis before and now use Macrium.

C. I guess you could also run Windows 7 from a USB stick. Why not, right?

D. Buy a cheap PC/Laptop only to run Windows 7. Make sure it has a Firewire card.

E. Don't try to make WinDV work, ha ha.

Honestly, I feel stupid telling you guys this because A. You guys already know all of this and B. I remember this morning show where this guy was supposed to give "lifehack" tips and one of them was, how to keep white shoes clean... JUST BLACK ONES! Seriously, you should have seen the face of the host... LOL.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd still like to hear from people running WinDV on Windows10.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by p_l View Post
    Sure, why not...

I thought of one more "trick". What if I have Windows 7 installed and then upgrade to Windows 10? I have no idea how OS work when it comes to that kind of stuff, but maybe there are some "leftovers" from Win 7 that will make WinDV work?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by p_l
    I am. Recently, I could only get Scenalyzer to transfer; WinDV wouldn't recognise my camera. At around the same time, I was experimenting with analogue to DV conversion and then transfer to PC via Firewire using a Pinnacle 710-USB. That worked at treat.

I have just tried again; the 710-USB method still worked, but neither WinDV or Scenalyzer would work and my camera wasn't showing up in Imaging Devices in Device Manager.

So I went through this procedure again (I had done it last year):

https://www.startech.com/en-us/faq/firewire-cards-windows-legacy-driver-swap

Now, everything works as it should.

From that, I surmise that a recent Windows update has messed up the Firewire drivers and they needed re-doing.

So, if your Firewire port seems dead, do the above.
    Quote Quote  
  24. [QUOTE=Alwyn;2686779]
    Originally Posted by p_l
    So, if your Firewire port seems dead, do the above.
    Here is what I don't get. If apps such as ScenalyzerLive and Windows Movie Maker are able to see my camera via firewire, doesn't that mean my firewire port is working? If that assumption is correct, wouldn't that mean that it is an issue with WinDV? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by plehoediv View Post
    Here is what I don't get. If apps such as ScenalyzerLive and Windows Movie Maker are able to see my camera via firewire, doesn't that mean my firewire port is working? If that assumption is correct, wouldn't that mean that it is an issue with WinDV? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.
    WinDV does not reliably work for me lately. On the same machine with the same camcorder it may recognize it one time, and not recognize it another time. ScenalyzerLive seems to be more reliable. Not sure why. Maybe there is an issue with WinDV.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Bwaak View Post
    Originally Posted by plehoediv View Post

Thanks.
    WinDV does not reliably work for me lately. On the same machine with the same camcorder it may recognize it one time, and not recognize it another time. ScenalyzerLive seems to be more reliable. Not sure why. Maybe there is an issue with WinDV.
    Exactly.
    Quote Quote