VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This works:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.6 - 64 bits\avidemux.exe" file.avi
    This one will open Avidemux, but without loading the movie (i.e. it's like I ran Avidemux on it own, with no arguments):

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Avidemux 2.6 - 64 bits\avidemux.exe" --no-audio file.avi
    I've tried many different versions, like putting the flag at the end, or putting it in quotes, or putting everything in quotes-- basically I rearranged it in every way I can think of, but nothing works.

I have to strip the audio from the vast majority of files I work with, so I'm trying to find a way to load them without audio automatically.
    Last edited by countytime; 6th Apr 2018 at 14:56. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  2. What about --load file.avi
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by andkar View Post
    What about --load file.avi
    Nope, same thing-- Avidemux starts, but without loading a file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surely the command-line version is avidemux_cli.exe although that, I guess, just works on the command line.

But if you just want to strip out the audio it is surely quicker to load in the program as normal and just save the video - no rencoding is done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But if you just want to strip out the audio it is surely quicker to load in the program as normal and just save the video - no rencoding is done.
    Huh? How would doing it manually (which is what I'm doing now) be faster than having it done automatically with a command line argument?

And no recoding of the video is done if I select "copy", which I may or may not do, but that's not related to the audio track either way.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The time saved is marginal since copy will work in the same way - command line or program - as would a re-encode.

So does the avidemux_cli.exe work ? That is the crux of my reply.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If anyone could help with this it'd be much appreciated, someone who knows how the command line arguments work on Windows.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have rubbished my earlier reply. I hardly care if you wish to rubbish this reply.

I have an earlier version of avidemux on my system due to an XP/Win7 dual-boot. That version is 2.5 and there is only one executable viz Avidemux2.

In Win7-64 there are 3 executables - Avidemux, Avidemux_cli and Avidemux_jobs. I suspect that the 'cli' only works in the command. I do not know if the first accepts any parameters. But I would suspect that if it does it would still load the GUi. That being so one could easily, and quickly, as in your example, load the video and go to the Audio menu to dis-engage the audio track without resort to any parameters.

The CLI exists to process the video without the GUi. Your example does not do anything other than, theoretically, load the video even without audio.

Maybe the real fault lies with the docs that do not appear to have kept pace with the version updates.

My last contribution here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I usually just drag and drop my file into the AviDemux desktop icon. Unlike many people, I'm certain that going backward in time and technology by using command line antics will NOT increase my penis size.....or impress my friends.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I usually just drag and drop my file into the AviDemux desktop icon. Unlike many people, I'm certain that going backward in time and technology by using command line antics will NOT increase my penis size.....or impress my friends.
    What the **** does that mean?

Are you literally retarded or do you just play a retarded person on the internet?

Adding a flag to the command that opens Avidemux would save me a ton of time and has nothing to do with "impressing my friends" or "penis size".

Does this forum have a single helpful person on it or is it all idiots just talking to hear themselves talk?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TBH the time saved is minimal when you also consider the time/effort in placing the video in the correct path/directory.

But you could always address your issue to the official avidemux forum.

http://avidemux.org/admForum/

BTW You do, for a newbie, have a bad - I am in the right - attitude. You do need to chill.
    Quote Quote  
  12. What are you talking about? You're spamming this thread with garbage and I have a bad attitude for getting annoyed? If you want to hear yourself talk go write in your diary.

There are 7 billion people in the world who don't know the answer; I don't need to hear from them. I need to hear from the ones that do know. You haven't contributed a single thing, all you've done is make sure that this thread is unusable. Apparently just because you like to hear yourself talk.

You're wasting my time and wasting the time of every single person who might find this thread by searching for this problem. Go away.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Are you actually using avidemux for other things ? Or just to strip the audio ?

One way is to batch strip the audio of all the files with something like ffmpeg first . (actually it's copying the video into a new container without the audio) .

A batch file to process all the "AVI" files in a directory would look something like this . The no audio files will have "_noaudio" appended to the name. Original files will not be overwritten, but it's usually faster and safer to specify different source and destination drives for read/write

Code:
    for %%a in ("*.avi") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -c:v copy -an "%%~na_noaudio.avi"
    pause
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 8th Apr 2018 at 11:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Rube-Goldberg.exe
    Quote Quote