VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have the Magewell Pro Capture HDMI.
    https://www.amazon.com/Magewell-Capture-HDMI-Video-Card/dp/B019M5IB2C/ref=redir_mobile...f_=ya_aw_od_pi

I'm testing it through VLC. If I plug in my Nintendo Switch for HDMI, it works just fine. But when I try to use the DB9 adapter they sent with it, I get a black and white picture flickering with "No Signal"

the cable is a "DB9 to YC + Composite + Analog Audio + Component breakout " it doesn't have a yellow composite cable. It has this weird one that is a YC, and the green component. I have read that you can plug yellow composite into green component on other devices. but generally, you have to go into the settings and tell the TV or whatever, that you have done this.

I think the lack of a yellow composite, and trying to plug it into the green is a big part (or the only part) of my issues. If so, what can I do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    According to the Magewell site, the breakout is supposed to look like this. Did you get the wrong part?

[Attachment 45104 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    According to the Magewell site, the breakout is supposed to look like this. Did you get the wrong part?

That's what I got. It's hard to see (at least for me), but the yellow isn't actually "composite yellow" not without a special adapter than some have purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK8IEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's actually YC
    Which is like the female version of this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41bNmyEMf9L._SY355_.jpg

but I was hoping there was a way through software. But maybe there isn't.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Based on the connection diagram at Magewell's product page for the Pro Capture HDMI, the yellow connector is composite. The black connector on the breakout cable is Y/C, also known as S-video. The Monoprice adapter you linked to is used to connect an RCA cable to a BNC port. BNC connectors are not unusual on professional video devices. Note that the pictured Monoprice BNC to RCA adapter won't change a video signal from Y/C to composite.

The green component video port is for luma, which often results in black and white video when a composite video source is connected to it. The blue component port doubles as a composite port for some devices, but I have no idea if that is true for the the Pro Capture HDMI.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Based on the connection diagram at Magewell's product page for the Pro Capture HDMI, the yellow connector is composite.
    But according to the Picture and written description, it is Y/C. or whatever you call it on the other end of the S-video cables.
    The black connector on the breakout cable is Y/C, also known as S-video. The Monoprice adapter you linked to is used to connect an RCA cable to a BNC port. BNC connectors are not unusual on professional video devices. Note that the pictured Monoprice BNC to RCA adapter won't change a video signal from Y/C to composite.
    yeah the black one is S-Video. As for the adapter. I don't know. I just saw a youtube video and a comment in the amazon section that it was a solution that worked for someone. if the yellow one is composite and not Y/C BNC then the adapter should work. does the video signal even have to change? I have RCA to S-Video adapters. and there isn't a converter in between. ???

The green component video port is for luma, which often results in black and white video when a composite video source is connected to it. The blue component port doubles as a composite port for some devices, but I have no idea if that is true for the the Pro Capture HDMI.
    I tried the blue. and got nothing. let me give it another go.

their diagram misled me too. but it doesn't match what is pictured, written in the description, and what I received. the yellow cable is Y/C BNC

blue didn't work. I tried red to be sure. the only one that gives a picture is the green.

edit: i have a component to svideo cable. not an rca to s-video. i'm kind of wondering if I can just cut out the prongs I don't need in that s-video cable and convert it to an rca-s-video. of course it probably would never be so simple.
    Last edited by Grandpa2390; 4th Apr 2018 at 00:02.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @usually_quiet
    Y is the luma signal, which carries the luminance – or black-and-white – of the picture, including synchronization pulses.
    ok that makes sense. well in this case it is the green of course. but that's what I'm seeing. the black and white. what is the synchronization pulses. I'm googling it, but maybe that's the pulsing video signal I'm getting.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Grandpa2390 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Based on the connection diagram at Magewell's product page for the Pro Capture HDMI, the yellow connector is composite.
    But according to the Picture and written description, it is Y/C. or whatever you call it on the other end of the S-video cables.
    The black connector on the breakout cable is Y/C, also known as S-video. The Monoprice adapter you linked to is used to connect an RCA cable to a BNC port. BNC connectors are not unusual on professional video devices. Note that the pictured Monoprice BNC to RCA adapter won't change a video signal from Y/C to composite.
    yeah the black one is S-Video. As for the adapter. I don't know. I just saw a youtube video and a comment in the amazon section that it was a solution that worked for someone. if the yellow one is composite and not Y/C BNC then the adapter should work. does the video signal even have to change? I have RCA to S-Video adapters. and there isn't a converter in between. ???

their diagram misled me too. but it doesn't match what is pictured, written in the description, and what I received. the yellow cable is Y/C BNC

blue didn't work. I tried red to be sure. the only one that gives a picture is the green.

edit: i have a component to svideo cable. not an rca to s-video. i'm kind of wondering if I can just cut out the prongs I don't need in that s-video cable and convert it to an rca-s-video. of course it probably would never be so simple.
    You are confused. S-Video is a type of Y/C connector with 4 pins. One pin carries luminance (Y), one pin carries chrominance (C), and the other 2 pins are electrical grounds. Some pro equipment provides Y and C via separate BNC connectors instead of via an S-Video connection. The Y/C to S-Video adapter allows hooking that kind of gear to the S-Video connection on the Pro Capture HDMI DB9 breakout cable.

Don't cut up the Y/C to S-Video adapter. You should keep that intact in case you want to sell the Capture Pro HDMI someday. You need a BNC male to RCA female adapter from Monoprice (or somone else) in order to connect a regular composite video cable to the yellow connector on the DB-9 break-out cable below.

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45104
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

You are confused. S-Video is a type of Y/C connector with 4 pins. One pin carries luminance (Y), one pin carries chrominance (C), and the other 2 pins are electrical grounds. Some pro equipment provides Y and C via separate BNC connectors instead of via an S-Video connection. The Y/C to S-Video adapter allows hooking that kind of gear to the S-Video connection on the Pro Capture HDMI DB9 breakout cable.

Don't cut up the Y/C to S-Video adapter. You should keep that intact in case you want to sell the Capture Pro HDMI someday. You need a BNC male to RCA female adapter from Monoprice (or somone else) in order to connect a regular composite video cable to the yellow connector on the DB-9 break-out cable below.

https://forum.videohelp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=45104
    you are confused.I wasn't speaking about cutting anything up. the cable that came with the device is a 4 pin. I have a 7 pin / component adapter for God knows why. I've had it for years. I said I was tempted to try pulling out the three pins but I knew it wouldn't work because why should it be that simple. everything else you said, I said.

I don't know what I need. I just know many others had success with that adapter. I don't know why or how. But I'm going to try it. the fact that such a product exists makes the think that it will work. otherwise, there wouldn't be adapters, there would be some sort of converter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post

That's what I got. It's hard to see (at least for me), but the yellow isn't actually "composite yellow" not without a special adapter than some have purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006VK8IEI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's actually YC
    Which is like the female version of this https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41bNmyEMf9L._SY355_.jpg

but I was hoping there was a way through software. But maybe there isn't.
    Ah, thanks for setting that straight. The advice you have received above is correct. The yellow connector type is called BNC and it carries a composite video signal. You simply need an adapter to mate it to the more common RCA plug.

Y/C is not a connector type but a signal format. JVC marketed it as s-video using a mini-DIN connector. That's what the large black connector is for.
    Quote Quote  
  10. S-video uses two signal pins, one for luma (greyscale picture) and one for chroma (colors). Composite video carries luma and chroma on a single signal pin. When devices have both composite and s-video inputs on a multi-pin DIN connector the composite signal is usually on the same input as the s-video luma signal internally (even though they are on separate inputs externally). This reduces the number of pins needed on the connector.

Code:
                           inside
                           adapter
                      +--------------+
                      |              |
    s-video chroma ------------      |
                      |              |
    s-video luma ---------\          |
                      |    +---      |
    composite ------------/          |
                      |              |
                      +--------------+
    Inside the capture devices includes inside the pigtail adapter.

This means you have to tell the driver whether you are capturing s-video composite. If you plug a composite video signal into such a device and don't tell it the source is composite -- you will get a greyscale picture.

But this is separate from the flickering problem you are having. That is more likely a problem with the source. Many game consoles don't output perfect analog video signals. That's usually not a problem for televisions which are very flexible and forgiving. But capture devices usually don't respond well. They may flicker, roll, or show a "no signal" error.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But this is separate from the flickering problem you are having. That is more likely a problem with the source. Many game consoles don't output perfect analog video signals. That's usually not a problem for televisions which are very flexible and forgiving. But capture devices usually don't respond well. They may flicker, roll, or show a "no signal" error.
    I know my Sega Genesis will basically have a different hue (like 90-180 degrees off) every time I turn it on and capture with my card, which I just did for experimenting. But it acts normal on a CRT.
    Quote Quote