VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Having tried Cinema Mode, I find in very bright situations I sometimes get banding in clear blue sky, much like when I tried Cinestyle on my EOS 60D. In the case of the 60D I just accepted that I was pushing the codec a bit too far with the add-on profile and stopped using it, but this is a built-in effect and it is essentially the same camera as the professional XA 10!

I used Cinema Mode Standard with Contrast at -2, Colour Depth -1, Key M, Softening Filter off and manual exposure set to just remove 100% zebras in the brightest highlights. I use a Hoya ND8 over the lens, but it does not cause the problem in Manual Mode, so I have to assume it is not the problem (!). The banding is definitely baked into the camera output. As much as I'd like to, I cannot get back to the location to test adjustments for a year or two, so I ask if anyone else has had this and can either tell me whether this is a common problem, or suggest what CM settings I may need to change.

I've never had this happen in Manual Mode and this is how I am now shooting. If you can help, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    shooting outdoors you might be better off using cinama mode AV rather than full manual and locking the white balance. too much chance of a major change in light that you can't control.

p.s. did you use the proper color correction LUT during post when using cinestyle? it's all i shoot with using my 80d, 70d, and 60d. never had anything but the results i was looking for outdoors or inside.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting, although I don't see how using auto exposure will make any positive difference. I use the custom dial as iris control and tweak it for each shot, unless things are changing so quickly I don't get the time. I forgot to mention that when travelling I tend to use WB presets, so it would have been set to the sunny position.

Cinestyle: I was using Sony Vegas and it would not accept LUTs at the time, some kind person gave the coordinates so we could make our own.
    Quote Quote