VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Finally time after several years of cartoon VHS collecting to actually transfer everything from VHS->DVD and then from VIDEO_TS to something that is easily moved eg. .MP4 (h264)

I downloaded Handbrake awhile ago since everyone was making such good commments about it. Easy GUI but just too many different settings to play with. All my files are VOB files/video_ts and 720x576 25fps.

Should i pick "Fast 576 25FPS" and just let audio "AAC" 160 be as it is. Or will this decrease audio quality alot if, lets say i have a tape recorded with Hi-fi track compared to a mono track.

Ive seen alot of torrent packs containing TV/Cartoon episodes with average size of 175MB with Codec information:

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc1)
    Type: Video
    Video resolution: 640x480
    Frame rate: 25
    decoded format: blank
    orientation: top left
    chroma location: Left

MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
    Stereo
    Sample rate: 44100Hz
    Bits per sample: 32

And the output is actually very good. So im just curious before i start putting down hours of hours of conversion work that i actually get the best result taking care of both quality/and compression size.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming after you transfer the VHS tapes to your PC you could always use MakeMKV to create a MKV file. Nothing to adjust or set really. It doesn't shrink the file so file size in = file size out. If you need to shrink you could use Vidcoder which is based on Handbrake but has an easier interface
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  3. Open the VOB files with Mpg2Cut2. Mark-in, mark-out, Save Clip As... for each episode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Open the VOB files with Mpg2Cut2. Mark-in, mark-out, Save Clip As... for each episode.
    Originally Posted by netmask56 View Post
    Assuming after you transfer the VHS tapes to your PC you could always use MakeMKV to create a MKV file. Nothing to adjust or set really. It doesn't shrink the file so file size in = file size out. If you need to shrink you could use Vidcoder which is based on Handbrake but has an easier interface
    Thanks guys, i combined your programs and got great results so far. So im gonna stick with this setup.
    DVD/VHS Recorder -> DVD (Video_TS) and transferr DVD to my PC
    video_ts -> Mpg2Cut2
    output -> VidCoder-2.63-x64

Some images of the results before/after. Just using these quick freeware programs. And bare in mind that all my VHS tapes are old tv-recordings from late 80s.

Before

After
    Quote Quote  
  5. You did more than just cut/paste and reencode. It's hard to judge from just one frame, but the before clip looks a little over bright and over saturated. But the after clip looks too dark and maybe still over saturated.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    You did more than just cut/paste and reencode. It's hard to judge from just one frame, but the before clip looks a little over bright and over saturated. But the after clip looks too dark and maybe still over saturated.
    No sir only did those steps described. Mark start mark ending and split the file and then VidCoder normal profile.
    The before clip has color bleed due to VHS tape aging since the analog tape is 30 years old.

But since i always watch my videos with calibrated displays it's alot better in my oppinon to keep the video as normal as possible not trying to do magic with layers and color filters. Since you can always just turn your monitor profile gamma up abit and use Nvidia Digital vibrance
    Quote Quote  
  7. Cut/paste and reencode would never cause levels and color changes like that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Cut/paste and reencode would never cause levels and color changes like that.
    Well either the normal filter in beta version changed something. Or VLC just plays the container like that. The process is video_ts/DVD folder to .MPG and then to MP4 h264.
    Quote Quote