VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Computer. i7 4470k (3.5GHz), 8 GB RAM, Win7 64 bit
    Input: HDMI

My cable provider is a small company in northern Canada (Northwestel) that buys their service from one of the larger providers in Canada. I can't remember who, but it's not Rogers/Bell (at least not under that name) - maybe under a division of Shaw? I can't remember, but would likely recognize it if I heard it (I happen to work for Northwestel).

I purchased the Hauppauge Colossus 2 in order to copy off a couple shows from my cable DVR box - specifically a couple Stanley Cup Finals games where my team won. However I'm struggling to get a picture so that I can even see anything. Right now the pass through doesn't work, and the WinTV v8.5 only shows me a blank screen. I don't want to use the software to change the channel or anything - I can use the remote to the set top box to do all of that... I just want to be able to display my shows from my DVR to my computer so that I can copy them.

So anyway. I opened the box (it's been sitting on the shelf for the last few months waiting for me to dig into my computer - it's in an awkward spot under my desk and I've been procrastinating), and there's no CD with the paperwork. Not really a surprise after reading the reviews, but annoying now that it's not working.

Driver: hdpvr2_driver_1.6.34217
    Software: WinTV v8.5 AND Hauppauge Capture 1.1.35054

Both sets of software only show a blank screen. Thoughts/idea's? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit.
    - It doesn't look like I have any channels setup. I downloaded NextPVR and was looking in that, and it says 0 channels.
    - Tried setting up a channel (748 - HGTV), and the screen went from a dark grey to pitch black.
    - As I open different software (Hauppauge Capture and WinTV) I get a half second flash of a picture and sound on my TV (I've hooked up the cables for the pass through). But it quickly goes away once the software is loaded. At no point have I had sound or picture on any of the software.

- And after I added that last edit... I get sound on my TV (although it's slightly distorted, with a couple of clips - like what happens when a video pixilates). But no picture. The sound I get on the computer (using Hauppauge Capture) is static-y, although I'm not sure if that's my headphones or source as I've had issues from time to time with my headphones.

- My remote for the DVR no longer seems to be affecting what sound I'm hearing on the TV/computer.
    - If I close Hauppauge Capture, the sound (TV/comp) go away and I haven't been able to get them back.
    Last edited by Riptide14; 29th Mar 2018 at 13:18. Reason: Added edit.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDCP prevents recording from a cable DVR's HDMI out. If you have the cable DVR connected to the Colossus 2 via HDMI, try connecting the DVR and the Colossus 2 with component video instead.

Also, there are these suggestions from the manual:

No video on my TV set:
    Open Hauppauge Capture and verify the correct Video input is selected. Video and audio input must be set initially for passthrough to work.

No video on my TV set but I can see video in the Capture tab
    Check that the HDMI cable from the Colossus 2 (HDMI out) is connected to your TV monitor and the TV is set to the correct HDMI port if multiple are available on yourTV.

NextPVR will only be better than your other software if you plan to use an IR blaster to control the cable DVR and do scheduled recordings of live TV.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. I will try that - now to find my old component video cables I know I have around here somewhere. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks. Component worked... just at a lower quality (480i) then HDMI, which is rather annoying. Not sure if I can change that - will mess around with it, but that is what my settop box is telling me. Going to see if I can try to adjust that. But at the bare minimum this will allow me to get the hockey games into a digital format along with all the handshakes and interviews and whatnot after the game that I want. Another annoying thing I noticed is how slow going through the menu is when watching on Hauppauge Capture. Going through the setting menu is going to be a royal pain.

Figured out the quality setting issue. One of the benefits of using component, is that I can still use HDMI to the TV, and thus can bypass completely the need to use the pass through. HDMI to the TV, component to the capture card.

Thanks for your help UQ.
    Last edited by Riptide14; 29th Mar 2018 at 17:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Riptide14 View Post
    Thanks. Component worked... just at a lower quality (480i) then HDMI, which is rather annoying. Not sure if I can change that - will mess around with it, but that is what my settop box is telling me. Going to see if I can try to adjust that. But at the bare minimum this will allow me to get the hockey games into a digital format along with all the handshakes and interviews and whatnot after the game that I want. Another annoying thing I noticed is how slow going through the menu is when watching on Hauppauge Capture. Going through the setting menu is going to be a royal pain.

Figured out the quality setting issue. One of the benefits of using component, is that I can still use HDMI to the TV, and thus can bypass completely the need to use the pass through. HDMI to the TV, component to the capture card.

Thanks for your help UQ.
    Glad you figured out how to set up the component connection for high definition.

Sometimes having component video connected for capturing with HDMI connected to the TV at the same time causes problems. I did that when I used the original Colossus to record the output from my cable box, and an error message from the cable box would appear in my recordings if I turned off the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  6. So I resolved my issue and everything was great... until I realized that the new cable box I received when I moved only has HDMI or RCA out.... And apparently HDMI as an output/input into my Colossus2 card won't give me a usable picture to copy. Copying in standard def isn't an acceptable option. There has to be another way.

So now what are my options? Could I get a converter or something that goes from HDMI to component, and then component into my Colossus2 card?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Get an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP. They run about US$20. You generally won't see them advertised as such because bypassing HDCP is illegal in many countries.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/334145-HDCP-strippers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I resolved my issue and everything was great... until I realized that the new cable box I received when I moved only has HDMI or RCA out.... And apparently HDMI as an output/input into my Colossus2 card won't give me a usable picture to copy. Copying in standard def isn't an acceptable option. There has to be another way.

So now what are my options? Could I get a converter or something that goes from HDMI to component, and then component into my Colossus2 card?
    There were several HDMI splitters which removed HDCP as a side effect but many of them have updated their design and no longer work, including the model I bought in 2014. I don't know which, if any, HDMI splitters still remove HDCP.

I have no idea whether or not there is a Canadian source this HDMI to Component converter, but it is supposed to be a good one (ignores HDCP): https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Premium-Quality-Component-Converter/dp/B017LVMAWG/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Apr 2018 at 22:36.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    So I resolved my issue and everything was great... until I realized that the new cable box I received when I moved only has HDMI or RCA out.... And apparently HDMI as an output/input into my Colossus2 card won't give me a usable picture to copy. Copying in standard def isn't an acceptable option. There has to be another way.

There were several HDMI splitters which removed HDCP as a side effect but many of them have updated their design and no longer work, including the model I bought in 2014. I don't know which, if any, HDMI splitters still remove HDCP.

I have no idea whether or not there is a Canadian source this HDMI to Component converter, but it is supposed to be a good one (ignores HDCP): https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Premium-Quality-Component-Converter/dp/B017LVMAWG/
    Fantastic!! And they ship to Canada. Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't know if the Colossus responds to it, or if the linked HDCP->Component converter applies it, but it's possible for component video to carry the CGMS-A flag that indicates the signal should not be recorded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CGMS-A
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know if the Colossus responds to it, or if the linked HDCP->Component converter applies it, but it's possible for component video to carry the CGMS-A flag that indicates the signal should not be recorded.

You mean because the flag would be there coming from the initial HDMI feed? I guess since I've already placed the order, we'll have to wait and find out if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Riptide14 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I don't know if the Colossus responds to it, or if the linked HDCP->Component converter applies it, but it's possible for component video to carry the CGMS-A flag that indicates the signal should not be recorded.

You mean because the flag would be there coming from the initial HDMI feed? I guess since I've already placed the order, we'll have to wait and find out if it works.
    Because the HDMI source is HDCP encrypted. The converter is supposed to add the CGMS-A flag with encrypted sources. The only devices I've heard of that output CGMS-A are Blu-ray players (back when they were still allowed to output analog video). But it's something to keep in mind.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post

I looked the product reviews on Amazon and some do say that the converter box works with the original HD-PVR. There is no mention of the HD-PVR 2 or the Colossus 2 in any review. Unfortunately, the original HD-PVR ignores the CGMS-A anti-copy flag but the HD-PVR 2 and Colossus 2 obey it.

Since there are no helpful reviews, the only way to know for certain what the HDMI to component converter box does is to try it. However, given that HDMI to component converters which ignore HDCP are frowned upon by HDMI, I think chances are good that this device doesn't insert the analog anti-copy flag.
    Quote Quote