+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MY SET-UP
    --------------------
    My PC: Zotac ZBOX-IQ01-U
    My Monitor: Dell UP3017
    Dell Dock connected to PC: D3100 (Has own power adapter)
    4 bay hard drive external dock connected to Dell Dock. (Has own power adapter)
    Sentey USB hub connected to Dell Dock: LS6140 (Has own power adapter)
    3 other WD portable passports plugged into the Sentey hub.
    El Gato HD60s is a nomad, has connected everywhere.

Hey Guys,

Before I take back my WD My Book back to best buy, I wanna see if maybe someone can help. I have two issues...

First, whenever MY BOOK is connected during a restart or shutting down/turning on, my PC will not start, it just hangs. On the lower right corner of the monitor, I normally see codes like 99, B4, AC, D7.. then I'm in my Desktop. But if MY BOOK is connected, it will hang at B4, never go to A2, and never start. Some troubleshooting I've done:
    • Tried different usb ports to no avail.
    • Connected it to my Monitor, didn't help, but learned about a new quirk (Second issue below).
    • Connected it to my sentey usb hub, didn't help. However, my sentey usb hub has individual power buttons for the usb ports. If I leave it connected to the Sentey, but power off that specific usb port, my PC will start without issue. So why is it hanging when it's connected?

Secondly, in troubleshooting this issue, I realize that my Monitor's built in USB hub must use a lot of resources. I have 4 ports and 2 upstream ports. I've never used any of them until today when I was troubleshooting the WD My Book. I connected an upstream cable to my PC so the usb ports would work. What I realize is that connecting this upstream link has hogged up a lot of USB controller resources. I can no longer mult-task with some of the devices. I would get the "not enough usb controller resources" message. Either HD60 capture card wouldn't work, or if it did work, then My Book wouldn't work, etc. At first I thought My Book was the issue, but when I unplugged it, I was still getting the message, so I realize it was the Monitor's usb hub. Once I unplugged the upstream link, all my devices function as normal. I purposely powered on My Book, the HD60 capture card, the 4 bay HD dock, the Sentey hub and all it's wd passports were good. So does this sound normal to you guys? To use the usb port on my Dell UP3017, I have to cut back on other usb devices?

Well, those are my two issues.
    1. How can I get my pc to NOT hang on start-up or restart with My Book powered on?
    2. And is it normal that my monitor is hogging up so much usb controller resources? Is there anything I can do?
    Last edited by siratfus; 22nd Mar 2018 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the monitor, I do feel something is not quite right. I mean how is it that I could use endless amounts of USB devcies on my pc, but the moment I connect the upstream cable to link the monitor's usb hub, I now run out of resources? Just weird.

Hope someone can chime in.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First question: most likely your pc is trying to boot from your western digital external drive.. So disable usb boot in the bios/uefi
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    MY SET-UP

Secondly, in troubleshooting this issue, I realize that my Monitor's built in USB hub must use a lot of resources. I have 4 ports and 2 upstream ports. I've never used any of them until today when I was troubleshooting the WD My Book. I connected an upstream cable to my PC so the usb ports would work. What I realize is that connecting this upstream link has hogged up a lot of USB controller resources. I can no longer mult-task with some of the devices. I would get the "not enough usb controller resources" message. Either HD60 capture card wouldn't work, or if it did work, then My Book wouldn't work, etc. At first I thought My Book was the issue, but when I unplugged it, I was still getting the message, so I realize it was the Monitor's usb hub. Once I unplugged the upstream link, all my devices function as normal. I purposely powered on My Book, the HD60 capture card, the 4 bay HD dock, the Sentey hub and all it's wd passports were good. So does this sound normal to you guys? To use the usb port on my Dell UP3017, I have to cut back on other usb devices?
    "not enough usb controller resources" is usually caused by not enough power for your USB device(s). The USB ports on your monitor are unpowered and are meant for low power devices such as keyboards and mice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Originally Posted by siratfus View Post
    MY SET-UP

"not enough usb controller resources" is usually caused by not enough power for your USB device(s). The USB ports on your monitor are unpowered and are meant for low power devices such as keyboards and mice.
    Hi, but what I'm trying to say is that it's causing this issue by simply having the uplink plugged in. Even without anything connected to the monitor's usb ports, and only the uplink connected to my PC, it is causing this issue. Once I unplug the uplink, I can use as many usb devices I want. My pc goes back to being normal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jan5678 View Post
    First question: most likely your pc is trying to boot from your western digital external drive.. So disable usb boot in the bios/uefi
    Thank you! You pointed me to the right direction. I've been googling things like, "USB CONTROLLER NOT ENOUGH RESOURCES," and there is really nothing. But after your suggestion, I googled, "How to change WD My Book boot options," and I'm brought to WD's own site... THEIR SOLUTION is simply to format to NTFS if you don't want to go into the bios.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As for the second issue... I think I've solved the problem guys. I simply plugged the uplink into a hub instead of directly into the PC. It works when I plug in both the Sentey, which is a hub connected to the Dell dock, or if I plug it directly into the Dell dock.

For my educational purposes, if anyone know why this is the case, please give me your thoughts. Thank you.
    Quote Quote