VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have 2 different video sources and the one I wish to use has something I would like to adjust to be more like the other.

The source I am using which is on the right seems to be too bright or have too much white tint over it. Blacks don't look dark enough and the overall image looks better to me in the left source with the blacks.

Here is a side by side comparison for you to look at.

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/3QMzvD7.png

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/bEruaTO.png

I have tried lowering brightness and contrast but they just don't do well enough and the image begins to look too dark when I get the blacks closer to how I like them.

Can you help me adjust this white or overall lightness to be closer to the source on the left? I would like the blacks to be darker without the overall image getting too dark. Maybe even a middle/medium between the left and the right would be good as well.
    Quote Quote  
  2. it's a classic luma levels mismatch (0-255 vs 16-235) so try this with avisynth:
    ylevels(15,1.000,235,0,255)
    tweak(sat=1.1,coring=false)
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or with the original YUV video:
    Code:
    ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC")
    That should work perfectly but it leaves the Y values a little too low. So follow up with:
    Code:
    ColorYUV(off_y=2)
    You may have other issues to deal with: the framing isn't the same, chroma is shifted, etc.

Scope view before adjustments:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	44988

After adjustments:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	44989
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Mar 2018 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    it's a classic luma levels mismatch (0-255 vs 16-235) so try this with avisynth:
    ylevels(15,1.000,235,0,255)
    tweak(sat=1.1,coring=false)
    That actually made it look worse to me. It looks desaturated and or like it has too much contrast now.

That idea did however point me the right direction by giving me something to play around with.

I got the results I was hoping for using this

YLevels(3,1.0,255,0,255)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Or with the original YUV video:
    Code:
    ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC")
    That should work perfectly but it leaves the Y values a little too low. So follow up with:
    Code:
    ColorYUV(off_y=2)
    You may have other issues to deal with: the framing isn't the same, chroma is shifted, etc.
    Wow that's even better looking to me than what I was trying until I tried this just now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I added some sample images to my previous post. Colors are still a little off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No worries, I was not after a perfect comparison to the left side. I just wanted the right one to look better and have less white tint over the blacks.

YLevels(3,1.0,255,0,255) made it look better to me.

ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC") made it look even better to me and got rid of the grey.

The ColorYUV appears to be increasing contrast quite a bit to my eyes. Is there an adjustment to make it increase it just a bit less?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks alot for the information you have given me so far. It's been a big help!

Here are the results I got. I like how the middle one looks, and I like how the bottom one looks even more, I just think its making it a little too dark looking maybe? There are some already dark things that are not visible in the left image and that are starting to get alot less visible in the right image, the more I get the blacks to darken. I am trying to find a good medium.

Colors arent such a big deal to me on this one if they are slightly off or different from the left side, as long as they stay more like the source they came from and get altered little, I approve. I was more concerned about the white tint over the image making blacks look too light.

ORIGINAL COLORS

smoothtweak(saturation=1.05, dither=-1, interp=0, limiter=true).tweak(bright=-0.51, coring=false).YLevels(3,1.0,255,0,255)

smoothtweak(saturation=1.05, dither=-1, interp=0, limiter=true).tweak(bright=-0.51, coring=false).ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC").ColorYUV(off_y=1)

Middle was giving me very acceptable results. I just happen to like the bottom more because all they gray tint seems to be gone and the blacks looks black. The only thing I dislike about the bottom is it seems a tad too dark or as if the contrast is too much. Maybe it's just my eyes. The colors look very strong in comparison to the top and middle.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're going to use SmoothTweak why don't you just do the levels adjustment there? SmoothTweak(brightness=-14, contrast=1.16, saturation=1.14) is pretty much the same as ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC").
    Quote Quote