VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Does anyone have a program that can convert a .264 file I got from my swann cctv device to .mp4 ?

The program that is supposed to transcode it is built in to the main program but that part doesnt work (a window shows up with no buttons on! smh).

So I'm trying to figure out a way to transcode them without using the main program.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    You do not "transcode" it at all, the format is probably just fine.

While the filename extension .264 is a hint that it may be a raw H.264/AVC video stream, MP4 is a container format which may contain H.264/AVC video streams.

To wrap raw video into a container, you "multiplex" it; for the MP4 container, the most common multiplexers are MP4Box or L-SMASH, but both are command line tools. For MP4Box, there are several GUI's, YAMB is only one of them.

To know with less doubt, always analyze unknown media files with MediaInfo.
    Last edited by LigH.de; 16th Mar 2018 at 08:47.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried YAMB which I think has MP4Box as part of it but it didn't work.

I said transcode because thats the name of the button on the Swannview Link program. It worked once on my pc then when I loaded the software up later the buttons had disappeared.

I'll download MediaInfo later when I get home from work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    When it "didn't work", it's always good to know as exactly as possible which error messages appeared, if any.

MeGUI also supports MP4Box in its MP4 Multiplexer (Tools menu). It will log the output of command line tools verbosely, good to report.

There was a purpose that I said, "the filename extension .264 is a hint". It is not mandatory to be correctly used in any "common way". It would be useful, of course; but some applications were programmed with a not very comprehensible logic. Thus, a *.264 file may contain raw AVC video. Or not, maybe it is already in another container. Hopefully MediaInfo will detect that.
    Quote Quote