VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

Can somebody give me some suggestion on a good software that will let me insert a DVD or BluRay into my drive and then the program will scan the disc and display technical information about the disc's content, such as
    -Region code of the disc
    -What kind of audio the various video streams on the disc have (stereo, mono, DTS, etc.)
    -Aspect ratio of the various video streams
    -and so on...

Please note, I am not looking for a software that will have me put in UPC codes or try to automatically identify the movie on the disc and then display information gathered from some database online where users have submitted disc information, I am looking for a software that really scans the disc inserted and recognizes and displays actual information about the video content, not rely on user submitted specs from an online source.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do not know about Blu-ray but surely ifoedit gives all the required info for a dvd.

open video_ts.ifo >> VMGM_MAT
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Do not know about Blu-ray but surely ifoedit gives all the required info for a dvd.
    open video_ts.ifo >> VMGM_MAT
    Thank you for the suggestion, but is there something a bit more user friendly and for the specific purpose I requested?

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Blu-ray: BDInfo
    Thank you for BDInfo, just what I needed. Is there anything similar but for DVDs as well?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just how 'specific' do you want ?. It may not be user-friendly inasmuch that you need to select a file but it gives the required info.

Now I tried BDInfo and I put in 3 disks. All three failed to scan with reports of either protection or damage (some were zone-locked and some were multi-zone). All three play just fine. And the reports I did get did not quote the Zone of the disk which I thought was one of the features you wanted. At least ifoedit does report that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Just how 'specific' do you want ?. It may not be user-friendly inasmuch that you need to select a file but it gives the required info.

Now I tried BDInfo and I put in 3 disks. All three failed to scan with reports of either protection or damage (some were zone-locked and some were multi-zone). All three play just fine. And the reports I did get did not quote the Zone of the disk which I thought was one of the features you wanted. At least ifoedit does report that.
    Yes, after further inspection it turns out BDInfo sucks. I had the same issues you described (some discs won't read), furthermore it appears to be trying to "identify" the disc and then display info from a database provided by users, which is not what I want.
    Can ifoedit also display information about the sound and aspect ratio? I have previously used DVD Decrypter which displays some of this information but it appears to get the information wrong a lot of the time. For example, it will erroneously claim 1.85:1 is 16:9 aspect ratio, that mono channels are stereo, and more.

PS: I tried something called DVDInfo by Mediadoggs but it wouldn't even work, said disc cannot be read.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AFAIK dvdinfo is designed to determine the manufacturer of blank media (which is typically not what it says on the 'tin')

ifoedit does show information about sound and aspect ratio. But you may have to open the other ifo file for this. Unfortunately, there is no easy lunch to get this info.

Other than that good 'ol mediainfo will retrieve most of the info for dvd-video. But not Region Code if this really is important for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @guy24s Commercially produced DVD and Blu-ray discs use encryption to discourage copying. For original DVDs or Blu-ray discs, it may be necessary to have decryption software like DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD running in the background for some audio and video information to be discoverable. I have not run into any software which can generate reports containing everything that is desired.

Technically, the specs require all DVD or Blu-ray video to be either 4:3 or 16:9 display aspect ratio. You'd have figure out the aspect ratio manually if the video itself includes letterboxing or pillarboxing, or obtain that information from a database.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Mar 2018 at 11:48.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    @guy24s Commercially produced DVD and Blu-ray discs use encryption to discourage copying. For original DVDs or Blu-ray discs, it may be necessary to have decryption software like DVDFab Passkey or AnyDVD running in the background for some audio and video information to be discoverable. I have not run into any software which can generate reports containing everything that is desired.

Technically, the specs require all DVD or Blu-ray video to be either 4:3 or 16:9 display aspect ratio. You'd have figure out the aspect ratio manually if the video itself includes letterboxing or pillarboxing, or obtain that information from a database.
    I see, I understand then. Thank you for explaining!
    Quote Quote