VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys, I hope you can help me this time once more.
    Now I've got Sony, or better yet, Magix Vegas 15.
    I was watching a video tutorial (Youtube) yesterday on how to frameserve Vegas timeline to HandBrake.
    Obviously I know the space color conversions, etc, that would hurt video, BUT, HandBrake does an amazing job for fixing variable to constant framerate for all video recorded with smartphones not to mention the quality of the render itself.
    Of course MEGUI would be another option but that goes through a time consuming process such as rendering as MPEG2 Blu Ray, then AC-3 then encoding the final file using X264, muxing audio + video etc.
    Please note that for the tutorial they use other software: 1. DebugMode Frame Server; 2. AviSynth; 3. Pismo File Mount Audit Package and a series of scripts.
    I wonder if any of you can help me to make it work with Vegas 15. Thanks in advance.

Youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64HvW0RsE0o
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Cunhambebe View Post
    Obviously I know the space color conversions, etc, that would hurt video, BUT, HandBrake does an amazing job for fixing variable to constant framerate for all video recorded with smartphones not to mention the quality of the render itself.
    Don't you usually want to convert VFR to CFR before sending it to a software like Vegas because a lot of editors cannot handle VFR? So what good would frameserving from Vegas to HandBrake do you?
    Quote Quote  
  3. You install Debugmode's frameserver, and then you frameserve. Have you tried that, and if it isn't working, what exactly is the problem? Why don't you post this in the Vegas forum? You will be much more likely to get an answer there.

And, sneaker is right: VFR in Vegas is likely to not work well, so you need to take care of that, if possible, before you drop the video onto the Vegas timeline.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if i were having problems with a vfr file i'd convert it to a lossless yuv cfr before using in an editor.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    You install Debugmode's frameserver, and then you frameserve. Have you tried that, and if it isn't working, what exactly is the problem?
    I think Handbrake does not load frame server avi , if things did not changed, so the way they do it is to create another virtual AVI that is accepted.

But as was said, if served from Vegas, it is already altered to CFR, whatever way Vegas uses to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi and thanks for taking time to respond;
    sneaker - "Don't you usually want to convert VFR to CFR before sending it to a software like Vegas because a lot of editors cannot handle VFR? So what good would frameserving from Vegas to HandBrake do you? "

Yeah, first I DO this conversion using HandBrake. The horrible VFR goes to CFR PERFECTLY.

Johnmeyer: I do agree with you but things in Sony Vegas Forum seem to be a bit more confusing - sometimes lol

Aedipuss: the goal here is not the FR conversion but exporting the timeline. The conversion can be done in a previous step.

_AL_: Vegas does not fix anything, since selecting force resample, smart resample or even configuring each file to play in the correct CFR is time consuming and counterproductive. I do insist that the purpose of this topic is how to correctly export the timeline from Vegas 15 and encoding using HandBrake.

Thanks
    Last edited by Cunhambebe; 13th Mar 2018 at 16:18. Reason: grammar :-)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So I assume there's no possible solution...
    Quote Quote  
  8. You can force resample clips at once, select just videos ,Edit/switches/Force resample ...
    but not sure if this helps, because videos have different audio lengths interpreted and that is not fixed.

So what are you actually doing if not treating it to CFR in Handbrake beforehand? Btw. you loose a quality depending what settings you encode.
    So do you adjust all audios to end of video clips so there are no glitches? This sort of things export would not fix. Within Vegas or debugmode frame server as well. And be careful dmfs exports project properties parameters, not clip's.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Even if you have an illegal version of Vegas, and therefore cannot post in the Vegas forum, you can still search there. Why aren't you doing that??

I suggest starting with this thread, which took me less than five seconds to find:

vegas2handbrake not working, handbrake doesn't work

[edit]Another basic answer to your question:

VEGAS PRO 15 and Frameserver.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to all who took time to respond.
    _Al_
    First of all, I have already used HandBrake to fix VFR to CFR. It seems that all (or most) smartphones record that way. Ugh... And HandBrake does an amazing job. What a wonderfull piece of software. Anyway there are still some people who call it AviSynth for dummies.

(johmeyer)
    Please, with all due respect, I hope you understand that the discussion here is not my version of Vegas. I can assure you my version 15 is not illegal. I used to post on Sony's Forum a long time ago, but I can't even remember the registered e-mail (I've been around here for 14 years, ohhh boy).

Furthermore, I've already read most threads, but still haven't found a single mention to Vegas 15 (I guess modifying the script for Vegas 14 would fix that for 15 too, because they have removed the name "Sony".

On the other hand, using DebugMode Frameserver and MEGUI might do the trick too. Using HandBrake would be just another option, as rendering an intermediate file using Huffyuv so that you can open it in HandBrake (I really didn't like the results here).

Well, finally I would like to thank you, johmeyer, for your support and taking time to search and paste both links here on this subject.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have to ask, do you understand that frame serving would not fix your problem? Frame serving to Handbrake would not help.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cunhambebe View Post
    Thanks to all who took time to respond.
    _Al_
    First of all, I have already used HandBrake to fix VFR to CFR. It seems that all (or most) smartphones record that way. Ugh... And HandBrake does an amazing job. What a wonderfull piece of software. Anyway there are still some people who call it AviSynth for dummies.

(johmeyer)
    Please, with all due respect, I hope you understand that the discussion here is not my version of Vegas. I can assure you my version 15 is not illegal. I used to post on Sony's Forum a long time ago, but I can't even remember the registered e-mail (I've been around here for 14 years, ohhh boy).

Furthermore, I've already read most threads, but still haven't found a single mention to Vegas 15 (I guess modifying the script for Vegas 14 would fix that for 15 too, because they have removed the name "Sony".

On the other hand, using DebugMode Frameserver and MEGUI might do the trick too. Using HandBrake would be just another option, as rendering an intermediate file using Huffyuv so that you can open it in HandBrake (I really didn't like the results here).

Well, finally I would like to thank you, johmeyer, for your support and taking time to search and paste both links here on this subject.
    Thanks again,
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Very frustrating trying to help you. The second of the two links was specifically for Vegas 15, and it says so right in the link name I provided. Please click, read, and follow the directions.

The first link answers the specific question about using Handbrake with Debugmode frameserver, and if you read that thread you will see that you may need to add one small piece of software to get it to work. You also need to serve out using the correct colorspace.

That's the last time I try to help, however. This is a perfect example of the ancient saying: "you can lead a horse to water ..."
    Quote Quote