VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ive been restoring some of my dads 8mm and super 8 I was experimenting with freds 8mm restoration the results were pleasing but then I thought I would try
    john meyers script there were a few improvements from freds script.

here are few comparison still shots one you can see is very faded and no colour depth plus the vertical lines to one side of the frame
    bear in mind the frames where unaligned at the top so I have redone them with the film scanner and it is now corrected
    how can I improve on colour and background noise and to repair or at least reduce the vertical lines?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	clip A.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	994.1 KB
ID:	44905  

Click image for larger version

Name:	clip B.jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	715.5 KB
ID:	44906  

Quote Quote  
  2. 1. Consider doing gamma and color correction in your NLE, before serving to the script.

2. Scratches (your vertical lines) are difficult to remove in software because they persist from frame to frame. If you read some of what VideoFred has written about his overall transfer process (i.e., not just his amazing scripts), you'll find that he does his transfers using a "wet gate." This is the only way I know to remove scratches: you put a lubricant on the film prior to transfer and it fills in the scratches and makes them invisible to the transfer equipment.

Hollywood restoration (i.e., the companies that do this for a living) can remove scratches but I'm pretty sure it involves identifying each scratch manually, something that is very labor intensive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    1. Consider doing gamma and color correction in your NLE, before serving to the script.

2. Scratches (your vertical lines) are difficult to remove in software because they persist from frame to frame. If you read some of what VideoFred has written about his overall transfer process (i.e., not just his amazing scripts), you'll find that he does his transfers using a "wet gate." This is the only way I know to remove scratches: you put a lubricant on the film prior to transfer and it fills in the scratches and makes them invisible to the transfer equipment.

Hollywood restoration (i.e., the companies that do this for a living) can remove scratches but I'm pretty sure it involves identifying each scratch manually, something that is very labor intensive.
    Yes im using adobe premiere so i could experiment with colour correction in there.

Yes im have been lubricating each film with film guard it certainly does help but some films still have moderate vertical lines.

What is the procedure with wet gating is that the process of making an image sequence and correcting each frame or frames with the defects?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    What is the procedure with wet gating
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-transfer_film_gate
    Quote Quote  
  5. *update* i have lubricated the film and adding more of the film guard when cleaning and it has made a difference with the vertical line scratches its filled then in alot more

Another question when coming out of virtual filter dub im using the gopro cineform free codec now what should i be selecting
    Rgb12 8 , 10 or 16
    Rgba 12 bit
    Or yuv 4:2:2 10 bit?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Gent, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Universe
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    What is the procedure with wet gating
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-transfer_film_gate
    Also here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsk4Eb1Lzq4&t=9s

Fred.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

Another question when coming out of virtual filter dub im using the gopro cineform free codec now what should i be selecting
    Rgb12 8 , 10 or 16
    Rgba 12 bit
    Depends on what you're doing or using before coming out of vdub. You want to stay in the same color space, or minimize the number of colorspace conversions. Avoidable quality loss.

Some filters work in RGB (e.g. deshaker) . Some in YUV .
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

Rgb12 8 , 10 or 16
    Rgba 12 bit
    Depends on what you're doing or using before coming out of vdub. You want to stay in the same color space, or minimize the number of colorspace conversions. Avoidable quality loss.

Some filters work in RGB (e.g. deshaker) . Some in YUV .
    Ok the source is YUV420 what cinform output setting should i use?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

Ok the source is YUV420 what cinform output setting should i use?
    YUV 10bit 4:2:2 , Usually.

(Unless you had some RGB steps in between and you are doing other stuff - then it depends on what you are doing before/after, which filters etc... .)
    Quote Quote  
  10. VirtualDub can show you what colorspace each filter is working in. On the Filters dialog enable Show Image Format.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    VirtualDub can show you what colorspace each filter is working in. On the Filters dialog enable Show Image Format.
    Where do i select it cant find it?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Video -> Filters...

Click image for larger version

Name:	filters.png
Views:	1194
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	44964
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Ok thanks for that will give that a go
    Quote Quote