VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I decided to put Windows 7 on a M.2 NVM2 drive. Works perfectly.

The drive is an ADATA 256GB SX7000 m.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4

The mother board is an ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO Whestone

All is good, except that no temperatures are reported. I have drive HWINFO64 and CPUID's HWMONITOR. No temps. Even the ADATA SSD Toolbox does not get a temperature and even seem confused saying it was not one of their drives.

I have the latest BIOS. Am I missing something with a BIOS setting? As I said, boot and everything else is great.

Any thoughts?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do any temps show in BIOS for the ADATA M.2 drive?

I have a ADATA 128GB SX7000 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 in a Asrock MB and the temps show in BIOS and with HWINFO64.
    Maybe not a huge problem as the HWINFO64 software may have not have been updated for your MB or your MB isn't set up to read them.

My temps on a AMD A320M-HDV MB are 27C to 30C. So no problems. I'm using HWINFO 5.74 -3383. M.2 modules generally run cooler than HDDs.

If your MB and CPU temps are OK, then the M.2 temps are likely OK.

Maybe ask Asus.
    Last edited by redwudz; 11th Mar 2018 at 22:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No temps show up in the bios for this m.2 unit. Very odd. Guess I will email Asus. Nice boot times though.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like a very nice MB.

I had BIOS problems with my A320M-HDV MB in that the M.2 module wasn't recognized at all.I couldn't boot from it. A few days later Asrock updated the BIOS and everything works fine now.
    Some MB manufactures are a bit slow on BIOS updates.

I also have a non-contact infrared thermometer I use for my PCs. It also showed about 30C for my M.2.
    They are very handy and you can get one at Amazon or other on-line stores for $10 - $20 US.
    I also use it for checking air conditioning and heating systems, automotive systems and kitchen use.

My 'old' method was to put my finger tip on the device. 5 seconds is running cool. 3 seconds or less, too hot.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I recently discovered I could put Crucial MX300 275GB M.2 into motherboard of a pretty cheap Acer notebook.
    In BIOS I had to change UEFI boot to Legacy so that drive was recognized.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are several versions of M.2 modules. Not all are compatible with all M.2 motherboards. You always need to check with the MB manufacturer before purchasing. Same with RAM modules. My A320M-HDV MB can use either SATA or PCI M.2 modules. (After the new BIOS was installed.) It wasn't available when I ordered the MB, but Asrock claimed then a M.2 would work. Not so. The new BIOS has only been out a week or so.

I also picked up a M.2 to PCI slot adapter, but I haven't tried it yet. Might give a nice boost to some motherboards if you aren't using a PCI slot.
    Generally the M.2s are faster than SATA HDDs.

In my present laptop, a Asus ROG GL752VW-DH71 with W10, I installed a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 25OGB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x 4 M.2 module
    for a boot drive. Easy to install with Samsung software. Now it boots from off to the homescreen faster than my old laptop booted from sleep mode.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes they are great, fast. I think makers do not even want folks to know that some motherboards have a slots for those M.2s (those cheap laptops ,it is not advertised I think). It helped me to sort out dual boot problem (Windows -Linux).

I was so surprised it worked, I posted it on a store review page, but it was censored out.
    Quote Quote