VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm new to video editing. I have used GoPro Studio in the past but was at the end looking for a more advanced and better software so I bought Vegas Pro 15 Suite.

I have spent some time looking for tutorials on the internet explaining some of the fundamental stuff of editing, I even went to the library searching for books - but what I have found is either too simple or not relevant.

So I hope some kind people will take the time to explain some of the questions I have and get me started.

One of the first things I'm having a hard time to figure out is which project and render settings I should use.

At the moment I'm working on a video shot in 50fps.
    So which Project Settings should I use?

[Attachment 44882 - Click to enlarge]

I assume the upper field settings is used only for the preview (but I'm not sure).
    But I would like to know which settings I should use and why for the following fields and which one that affects the rendering: 'Pixel Format', 'Full-Resolution Rendering Quality' , 'Motion blue type' etc. etc...

Furtermore, I'm quite confused about which render settings I should use.
    Shall I consider my render settings regarding which media the video is meant to be shown on, and what if I don't?
    Can I render a video shot in 50fps in 50fps as well when it is meant to be shown on a regular TV? - I read some place that televisions work with 24fps.

[Attachment 44883 - Click to enlarge]

I have a lot of different templates to choose from when I have to render my video. Which one should I use - I have realised there is a huge different in output size.
    From the past I have always been told to use H.264 - GoPro Studio had it but it doesn't seem like Vegas has?

Hope someone can help me get started with video editing.
    More questions will probably follow

Best Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Vegas Pro has all the features you need. You just need to dig through everything and figure it out. No pain, no gain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am sure there will be a manual for this program that should answer any basic questions you have. Except that such a program is usually targeted to people who do know the basics.

As for project settings you typically set those to match your source material.

h.264 = AVC

And, yes, TV's can only play video that conforms to basic standards. Your tv manual will tell you what it supports.

We can help but we are not really here to hold your hand throughout. You best learn by trying things out. Get it wrong then try something else or then ask.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some free info on the net, there is a video series on Creative Cow for "Sony Vegas Basics"

https://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=sony+vegas+basics+%22Tutorial%22
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should try end-directed and start-directed workflows.

With end-directed, you figure out what/where/how you want things to end up, and you conform everything to get to that point, as smoothly and directly as possible.

With start-directed, you figure out what kind(s) of starting assets you have, and you do what you need to do with them, while keeping them as identical (or at least similar and lossless) as possible for as long as possible until the very end when you convert them to what their final version(s) need to be.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You should try end-directed and start-directed workflows.Scott
    That's exactly how Vegas is structured. Including middle directed. You can go at it however you want. That's the beauty of Vegas. It's really a very eloquent editor.

Try using "Match Settings" in "Properties".

[Attachment 44886 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by budwzr; 10th Mar 2018 at 21:20.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Thank you for all your replies.
    I did some different rendering testing today.

I rendered my 50fps footage as 1080p12, 1080p24, 1080p25, 1080p50, 1080i25, 1080i50 and did a comparison between those.
    Here are the results.

1080p12
    No motion blur, I can press pause at any time and the footage look sharp.
    It has a stop-motion feel to it.

[Attachment 44889 - Click to enlarge]

1080p24
    The playback has slowmotion feeling to it.
    A lot of motion blur, unsharp every time I press pause.

[Attachment 44890 - Click to enlarge]

1080p25
    Less motion blur compared to 1080p24.

[Attachment 44891 - Click to enlarge]

1080p50
    Pretty sharp. No motion blur. This setting corresponds to the raw material.

[Attachment 44893 - Click to enlarge]

1080i25
    Quite the same as 1080p50. Maybe a little bit less sharp.

[Attachment 44894 - Click to enlarge]

1080i50
    Not sure if I could use the 50fps interlaced on 50fps footage, but I could render it.
    Looks quite the same as 25fos interlaced.
    Maybe a little bit sharper.

[Attachment 44895 - Click to enlarge]

So what should the conclusion be?
    I guess the framerate should match the raw material if it were meant for playback on a computer - correct me if I'm wrong.
    But for DVDs which I have never tried making before, what should I use? Is it correct DVDs can't handle 50fps material?

And what would a 50fps video look like on a TV? Just curious...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing we do not know, apart from it being 50fps, is whether your original footage is interlaced or progressive.

Render interlaced as progressive and you are discarding quality straight away. Do the maths. 25fps will always be smoother than 24fps unless Vegas has appropriate filters which I am sure it has for blu ray creation. I do not have Vegas so can not help you there. The manual can.

DVD's are 25 fps (interlaced but can be progressive). Blu ray is normally 24 fps but can be 25 fps. Again. Read the tv manual to determine if and how you can play 50 fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Is your video 1920x1080 50p?
    Then set project the same way, as you have set your project properties already and render the same for output. There is nothing to discover, just keep the same specs all the way.

Project properties are bypassed (resolution, frame rate, those values on the top of project properties window) if you render to different specs, only some values from project properties (situated more to the bottom) like method of creating new frame, colors are used, but if your output is the same as original clips nothing needs to be reconstructed.

If you'd use frame server , then project settings are very important, because those are the specs that are being exported. But not f you export thru Vegas expert templates, Render As ...., as you do now.

So you look for whatever output template that uses 1920x1080, 50p. That resolution and frame rate is what you keep. You have a choice to select H.264 codec (MainConcept avc or Sony avc) or mpeg2 codec - less efficient then H.264 (MainConcept again), always make sure that audio stream is selected so you get sound as well.

Also, those template values/ parameters could be mere suggestion, you can change those values in them and save them under different name, if using often. Some values cannot be changed, or are dependent on the other values, for example I remember not being able to change resolution to higher resolution, for Sony avc I think, but those values were suddenly possible to select after I changed profile to High.

Forget interlace 50i, forget 25p, 24p -nonsense for you, if your video is 50p.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Keep in mind that 1080p50 is not compatible with Blu-ray. And many other devices (mostly older ones) will have problems with it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I find it strange that there is an option for 25i and 50i, since they OUGHT to be the same thing - Interlace was needed to fit bandwidth with 25Fps (large f = Frames) with motion resolution of 50fps (small f = fields). It is not needed for higher, as technology has moved well beyond. It was never needed for lower, as technology was already capable of that level.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I find it strange that there is an option for 25i and 50i, since they OUGHT to be the same thing
    I suspect what they call 25i is 25p (decimated from 50p in this case) encoded interlaced, whereas 50i is real interlaced (fields pulled down from 50p in this case) and encoded interlaced.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Not sure how latest Vegas, but Vegas I use does not use terms like 25i, 50i, just frame rate and you select field order (none, upper, lower). Maybe it is possible to select 50fps and select field order as well, same as with 25fps. It is a PRO version some knowledge is expected. Vegas is more custom setting friendly. Hence the original question basically if starting editing video.

So maybe frame rate was set to 25 and 50 and both interlaced, not sure. But as I said That field order should be set to None (progressive) and that's it - IF his source is 50p. As was also mentioned, if in doubt what video I have use match source for project properties and just read those values or use standalone application mediainfo.
    Last edited by _Al_; 11th Mar 2018 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all and thanks for the replies,

These might be some stupid questions, but they might help me to understand. I have a handfull of questions - so bear with me.

From what I could conclude from the comparisions I did - 50fps looked best in a 50fps playback and that of course make sense.
    25fps rendering looked blurry, is that because the 50fps footage had been compressed into showing 2frames at the same time?

Those videos I called interlaced in the above post was rendered by changing the Field Order' to 'Upper Field First' - I assmue this will make them interlaced?

Maybe I'm wrong on this, and if so please correct me - but isn't 50i equals 25fps?
    By selecting properties on the 50i video it tells me it's 50fps?

[Attachment 44958 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, 50i should be 25 frames per second. When you made that interlaced video, did you actually had 25 frames per second set for export? Again, not sure why you'd need interlaced video.

This thread is here couple of days I do not know what your original video clip is and what are you trying to do basically.
    Quote Quote