VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone,
    I have questions about HandBrake.

1.Is there any way to remove black bar from video without reduce the bitrate? (It's never exceed 20mbps for untouched bluray.)
    2.Is there any way to possible remove black bar from lossy video without any compression?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The short answer is no, the black bar is part of the video image and must be cropped to be removed, whether you use Handbrake or not.

The best you can do is re-encode the video at high quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sagor View Post
    1.Is there any way to remove black bar from video without reduce the bitrate? (It's never exceed 20mbps for untouched bluray.)
    Sure, specify the same bitrate as your source when you re-encode.

Originally Posted by sagor View Post
    2.Is there any way to possible remove black bar from lossy video without any compression?
    You mean without any re-compression? No. To remove the black bars the video has to be decompressed, the black bars removed, then re-compressed. If you specify the same bitrate as the source you will get a file of the same size. If you use RF based encoding you will get a file of unknown size, ranging from much smaller than your source to much bigger than your source depending on the RF setting.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Though you could use a different tool like Avisynth or FFmpeg to crop the video and save uncompresssed or with lossless compression.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Though you could use a different tool like Avisynth or FFmpeg to crop the video and save uncompresssed or with lossless compression.
    How?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sagor View Post
    How?
    You don't want to know, as the lossless filesize will be many times greater than that of the source video. 10 times greater or more. Are you prepared for that? No, I didn't think so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    How?
    By reading the fine manuals.
    If you want a GUI, VirtualDub can do it, too.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    How?
    You don't want to know, as the lossless filesize will be many times greater than that of the source video. 10 times greater or more. Are you prepared for that? No, I didn't think so.
    Yes, uncompressed 1920x800 (a 2.4:1 movie) YV12 runs about 250 Mb/s -- 10 times bigger than a typical Blu-ray source. Lossless compression will reduce that to about 100 Mb/s.

Handbrake can do this -- just use x264 and select RF=0.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    How?
    Yes, uncompressed 1920x800 (a 2.4:1 movie) YV12 runs about 250 Mb/s -- 10 times bigger than a typical Blu-ray source. Lossless compression will reduce that to about 100 Mb/s.

Handbrake can do this -- just use x264 and select RF=0.
    I use legacy profile & RF=0.
    This settings
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by blud7 View Post
    The short answer is no, the black bar is part of the video image and must be cropped to be removed, whether you use Handbrake or not.

The best you can do is re-encode the video at high quality.
    But i did a test, taking a screenshot of the video and crop the black bar & size is remain same.
    I don't know it's valid test or not.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How?
    By reading the fine manuals.
    If you want a GUI, VirtualDub can do it, too.
    I will give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Yes, uncompressed 1920x800 (a 2.4:1 movie) YV12 runs about 250 Mb/s
    More like 440 Mbps. (1920*800*12*24)

But seriously, stop mentioning "lossless" compression to newbies ... That's not what they want.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by sagor View Post
    But i did a test, taking a screenshot of the video and crop the black bar & size is remain same.
    Of course. The player sees that your video isn't 16:9 and adds black bars to fill out your screen's 16:9 aspect ratio. In other words, that's the way the video is supposed to be displayed.
    Quote Quote