VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anon45
    I'm using a Dazzle Video Capture device to convert Hi8 tapes to Digital... with Pinnacle Studio and it makes a weird almost screeching sound sometimes. At first I thought it was the camera, but than I tried VLC Player, and there was no (weird) sound. I also tried Debut Video Capture, which also makes the weird sound. My question is, how can I stop the sound, obviously, OR, what is a good alternative to Pinnacle Studio and Debut. Thanks!

Edit: Here is a sample video of what I captured with CaptureFlux; the weird noise is at 26 seconds.

https://youtu.be/XX4Fl1c9P-M

If all else fails, I will try cleaning the camcorder heads (when I order a cleaning tape).
    Last edited by Anon45; 12th Mar 2018 at 09:45.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Anon45
    So I tried PowerDirector, and there is no weird sound... but now I'm having audio sync problems. The audio is off even in the preview.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Sounds like a dodgy device driver. Do you have the latest drivers for the Dazzle?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anon45
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Sounds like a dodgy device driver. Do you have the latest drivers for the Dazzle?
    Yes I do. But now the sound is back for all programs..............................

I don't know if it's the camera (it's old; and I just bought it) ..................
    I'm going to try it on the TV and see if there's any problems. The quality is way better anyway haha
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anon45
    Here is a sample video of what I captured with CaptureFlux; the weird sound is at 26 seconds.

https://youtu.be/XX4Fl1c9P-M

If all else fails, I will try cleaning the camcorder heads (when I order a cleaning tape).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anon45
    As far as I know there is no sound when I connect it to the TV... it's hard to say because it comes and goes.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LifeDream777 View Post
    Here is a sample video of what I captured with CaptureFlux; the weird sound is at 26 seconds.
    I recognize that distortion from bad DAT cassettes, which also record helical tracks on metal tape. My opinion is that it stems from deterioration of the magnetic layer or possibly deformation (stretching/shrinking). It varies a bit from play to play, but recurs around the same parts of the recording.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Anon45
    I recognize that distortion from bad DAT cassettes, which also record helical tracks on metal tape. My opinion is that it stems from deterioration of the magnetic layer or possibly deformation (stretching/shrinking). It varies a bit from play to play, but recurs around the same parts of the recording.
    I disagree with your negative opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anon45
    Is there any program that could scan the audio track of a file to detect this soundwave or any distortion... so I could go back and edit/recapture that part?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Is there any program that could scan the audio track of a file to detect this soundwave or any distortion... so I could go back and edit/recapture that part?
    Love to help, but I don't want to burden you with any more negative opinions.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by LifeDream777 View Post
    Is there any program that could scan the audio track of a file to detect this soundwave or any distortion...
    You can look at a spectrogram view of the audio. The problem area stands out very clearly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spec.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	44904
    Quote Quote  
  12. Anon45
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Is there any program that could scan the audio track of a file to detect this soundwave or any distortion...
    You can look at a spectrogram view of the audio. The problem area stands out very clearly:

[Attachment 44904 - Click to enlarge]
    Thank you!! What program is this?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by LifeDream777 View Post

I used Audacity (with the ffmpeg source plugin). You can also use Spek. Most audio editors will have a spectogram view.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Anon45

I used Audacity (with the ffmpeg source plugin). You can also use Spek. Most audio editors will have a spectogram view.
    Ok Thank you! I found it! Thank you so much!
    Have a good night!
    Quote Quote