VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So a little update to my predicament. I've changed my mind on how I want to rip my box sets. Because I would like them in individual episodes. VOB2MPG is good for for splitting up the ISO or mounted DVD into individual episodes.

I've noticed something weird though. I'm using the Dragon Ball Z boxsets. When I convert with VOB2MPG the .mpg comes out with Japanese title cards? It's the only movie editing program out of the 6 I've tested so far to do that. I was curious so I figured out how you even get Japanese title cards in the first place. When you start the DVD and your in the DVD setup menu, if you set the audio language to Japanese then it will replace all the title cards in the video with Japanese ones when you play it. However leave it on either of the two English settings the it has English title cards as expected. The interesting thing is I'm only picking one audio stream and its one on the English ones, though I've tried both, either way it always ends up with Japanese title cards.

The other thing I've noticed, which seems to be more common as I've read about it before, is incorrect times displayed in the player. But using one of those stream fix deals seems to iron that out.

Still I don't know why the other programs I've used to accomplish the same things in my testing don't have either of these problems. I'm even using the pro version. I like VOB2MPG the best because of its simplicity and easy to use UI. I would like to continue using it if I can get it working right. Anyone have any ideas on these problems or a suggestion on how to do what I want?

Thanks,
    Derek R.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Never use a tool which does not care about IFO files when processing DVD Video media.

You say that depending on menu choices, there is different video content? Then your DVD might have "multi angle" features. Then you really need a tool which is able to handle parallel video streams according to information stored in IFO files as well as DVD Video specific data in the VOBs.

I heavily doubt that VOB2MPG is suitable for this task. Instead, use a real DVD ripper – or at least PGCDemux or vStrip (after storing the whole content on harddisk) – to extract a PGC VOB with only one episode's Program Chain and only one video angle.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @DWreck1995 VOB2MPG has an IFO mode. If you aren't using it, you should. That being said, I mostly use VOB2MPG on discs produced by my DVD recorders. I have never tried VOB2MPG on DVDs with multiple angles or DVDs which use obfuscation techniques as a form of copy protection to confuse DVD ripping software. I don't doubt that there are some DVDs which require other software or a DVD ripper.

You might also try MakeMKV. I think it can copy the audio and video from individual episodes on DVD to individual MKV files. The only problem I have found so far is that MakeMKV strips N. American closed caption data, which doesn't matter if a DVD originates outside of N. America.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Mar 2018 at 11:59.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Never use a tool which does not care about IFO files when processing DVD Video media.

You say that depending on menu choices, there is different video content? Then your DVD might have "multi angle" features. Then you really need a tool which is able to handle parallel video streams according to information stored in IFO files as well as DVD Video specific data in the VOBs.

I heavily doubt that VOB2MPG is suitable for this task. Instead, use a real DVD ripper – or at least PGCDemux or vStrip (after storing the whole content on harddisk) – to extract a PGC VOB with only one episode's Program Chain and only one video angle.
    That's the funny thing is I've loaded these into 6 video editing programs that don't allow angle control and they've all come out okay. But you are right I just looked it and they do have two angles. VOB2MPG must be defaulting to the angle I don't want. To bad its the only one that does that...

I've already ripped my DVDs to ISO, I'm just trying to get the individual episodes out. But I need to do it via chapter select because its the only way to have the timing correct. That's what I was doing with VOB2MPG, selecting the chapters for each episode, combining and extracting those chapters into one .mpg. I don't see those options with the programs you listed?

Originally Posted by usually_quiet
    @DWreck1995 VOB2MPG has an IFO mode. If you aren't using it, you should. That being said, I mostly use VOB2MPG on discs produced by my DVD recorders. I have never tried VOB2MPG on DVDs with multiple angles or DVDs which use obfuscation techniques as a form of copy protection to confuse DVD ripping software. I don't doubt that there are some DVDs which require other software or a DVD ripper.

You might also try MakeMKV. I think it can copy the audio and video from individual episodes on DVD to individual MKV files. The only problem I have found so far is that MakeMKV strips N. American closed caption data, which doesn't matter if a DVD originates outside of N. America.
    Yes I was using IFO mode. Which is how I was about to select the chapters I needed. But it seems to default to the wrong angle. The encryption is gone as I've already ripped to ISO. I just need a program to read it and separate the episodes.

I've used MakeMKV but that's just it, it makes an .mkv and I need an .mpg so I can watch it with my media player. I want to avoid encoding because it would take forever and a half to complete the collection doing that and there would be quality loss.

VideoReDo does not support multiangles but it will produce the right one when I use it. However I can't figure out have to use it for my purpose of getting each episode out?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DWreck1995 View Post

I've used MakeMKV but that's just it, it makes an .mkv and I need an .mpg so I can watch it with my media player. I want to avoid encoding because it would take forever and a half to complete the collection doing that and there would be quality loss.

VideoReDo does not support multiangles but it will produce the right one when I use it. However I can't figure out have to use it for my purpose of getting each episode out?
    MakeMKV doesn't re-encode DVD video and audio when it creates the MKV. (Unfortunately, it is possible to strip closed captioning data and all other MPEG-2 user data without re-encoding.) I don't have VideoRedo Plus installed, so I cannot test it with an MKV file. If you import the MKV file from MakeMKV into VideoReDo TV Suite V 5, it can be used to quickly export the video and audio as an mpg without editing or re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

MakeMKV doesn't re-encode DVD video and audio when it creates the MKV. (Unfortunately, it is possible to strip closed captioning data and all other MPEG-2 user data without re-encoding.) I don't have VideoRedo Plus installed, so I cannot test it with an MKV file. If you import the MKV file from MakeMKV into VideoReDo TV Suite V 5, it can be used to quickly export the video and audio as an mpg without editing or re-encoding.
    Hm... That is an interesting idea. That most likely will work because the .mkv container can hold MPEG-2 data so it would just be a swap to .mpg then. Any ideas on a programs that can edit the chapters and output to .mpg?

I'm actually quite new at converting optical media to digital but I'm surprised a program doesn't exist for doing things like this in more of an all-in-one fashion. Well there are programs that will, but they all re-encode none mux that I know of. Handbrake would be perfect if it could mux...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hm... That is an interesting idea. That most likely will work because the .mkv container can hold MPEG-2 data so it would just be a swap to .mpg then. Any ideas on a programs that can edit the chapters and output to .mpg?

I'm actually quite new at converting optical media to digital but I'm surprised a program doesn't exist for doing things like this in more of an all-in-one fashion. Well there are programs that will, but they all re-encode none mux that I know of. Handbrake would be perfect if it could mux...
    I don't know of any software which automatically separates chapters from each episode into individual mpg files. I have never had to deal with your particular problem.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM

I don't know of any software which automatically separates chapters from each episode into individual mpg files. I have never had to deal with your particular problem.
    Well that's what VOB2MPG does. You just check the chapters you want in the .mpg and it creates it. MakeMKV does the same then but it makes an .mkv obviously. There are a couple of other programs that do this as well but not as effectively e.g. no batch support...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that's what VOB2MPG does. You just check the chapters you want in the .mpg and it creates it. MakeMKV does the same then but it makes an .mkv obviously. There are a couple of other programs that do this as well but not as effectively e.g. no batch support...
    Sorry, I forgot for a moment that sometimes multiple episodes are authored in one titleset as chapters. When I author a DVD, I'm in the habit of putting each episode its own titleset and use chapters as navigational markers for specific scenes or create chapters at 5-minute intervals to make it easy to skip backwards or forwards through the episode.

...but I don't know of other programs that do what you want, beyond those already mentioned.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Mar 2018 at 18:14.
    Quote Quote