VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. The only thing that made Freemake worth keeping was the ability to burn 40 hours of video to a single DVD. Recent changes turned it into complete garbage. I'm not sure if it's a recent change or not, but watermarks or the ads used to be relatively unobtrusive, being simply very short clips added to the ends of each title. Now, it's a longer one at the start and a huge watermark in the middle of every conversion for the entire conversion. They also changed something that was free about the acceleration along with splitting many gold features into separate 'packs' while seemingly also breaking minute-long or longer video conversions for Intel CPUs or QSYNC, which I think it doesn't even support, perhaps since most of my conversions crash randomly during the conversion or just never get past 0%.

Ending the perhaps unappealing rant, is there any converter that will allow 40-hour DVD authoring other than this trash? DVDflick only allows 20 hours AFAIK and limits the amount of titles one can add significantly. DVDstyler won't let me get to these 20 hours, with it not letting me set the bitrate lower than 500 kb/s, as is asked of the user per the error, and turning down the resolution had no effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're crazy. Even if you could get 40 hours on to a single dvd -assume you do actually mean a dvd-video which you can play in a stand-alone unit and not just a PC and not a disk with just clips on it - the quality will be incredibly poor.

Even at 500 kbps the visual quality will be terrible. VCD was not that low. VCD quality on dvd-video squeezes 10-12 hours on to a disk and probably double for a dual-layer one so that 20 hours does mean something.

And a dvd is limited to 99 titles. Try to find a commercial disk that even gets close to that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe just use the older version of freemake that was less bad.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KarMa View Post
    Maybe just use the older version of freemake that was less bad.
    +1. Freemake is rubbish ... it's the Internet Explorer of video encoders from my experience. And yes, putting 40 hours of video on a DVD is ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
  5. LISPList: DVD menu and navigation are nice to have. However I very rarely go to all that trouble these days. I would suggest getting yourself some thumb drives and putting those files on there and any computer will probably play your original files. You could also get an LG Blu Ray player put the files on a data disc assuming they are a format that it can handle. Also maybe the video to video converter can do what Freemake was able to do for you without a watermark and such. It has tons of options to explore and it is free and to my knowledge spyware free.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Video-to-Video-Converter
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just checked video to video converter and it has an option for creating DVD compliant files. You then take these files to a DVD Authoring Program and make a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Simply using an older version was something that didn't cross my mind at all. After looking, the latest version that is clean enough that according to memory lacks these issues is 4.1.5. This one only needed some scrubbing of OpenCandy, which my antivirus did automatically, and didn't depend on it to actually work. However, this was not an offline installer, so it just installed the latest version anyways. I have not found any offline installer.

For what it's worth, these 40 hour DVDs actually played on every player I tried.

With respect to Video-to-video converter, I don't think that will let me create such DVDs. But I will try to see if it does.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Video To Video Converter is a useful program so if it doesn't help with this task it will probably help with another.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Video-to-video wouldn't let me go lower than 2 mb on the bitrate. This is all I can extract from the format that Freemake used.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	freemake video framerate dvd.png
Views:	143
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	44841  

Click image for larger version

Name:	freemake video framerate dvd 2.png
Views:	77
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	44842  

Quote Quote  
  10. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Lowest I do is vcd resolution and even then its 7 hrs single layer 12 hrs dual layer 2 pass with hcenc. Anything lower and you not going to have a viewable product.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's actually not DVD-compliant. Spec allows for no lower limit on bitrate, but 1/4D1 material MUST be mpeg1, and MUST be 4:3. You are lucky it plays on the players you have.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. LISPList: What size screen do you watch your DVDs on? It is hard to imagine that these videos would look good on anything bigger than a 7 inch TV. I am sorry that the video to video converter couldn't achieve the results you wanted.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I know 16:9 ain't compliant ( my players dont care) but 240p is part of the spec for 4:3 stuff
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    Even in avs2dvd and tmpeg its offered as a resolution
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote