VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best overall video format and Codec for smallest size video and best video quality??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    This question again?
    They just keep coming, don't they?

I'll summarize the several hundred other posts that have already appeared for this question during the past 10 years or more: No such thing as "best". Use what you like.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Last edited by jagabo; 2nd Mar 2018 at 23:21.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mkv with H264 codec,avi is outdated.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right now...

- MPEG-2 (15mpbs+ and 4:2:2 if possible)
    - H.264 in either MP4 or MKV container, CRF encoding

Again ... right now.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 3rd Mar 2018 at 12:03.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Best" must always be predicated by some criteria, priorities, application, audience.

My opinion is that the best is HFR (120/240fps), Stereoscopic, RAW 32bpp linear HDR float, 8k, rec2020/ACES, for video. And audio is 22.2ch+Atmos (or Binaural, Soundfield), LPCM, 32bit, 384kHz.
    Obviously, that prioritizes quality over cost, bitrate/space requirements, playability, commonality.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd Mar 2018 at 00:28.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG-2 died like 10 years ago,i would never use that for any reason.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    MPEG-2 died like 10 years ago,i would never use that for any reason.
    LOL! And here's that one again! DVD still outsells BluRay and is a staple in broadcasting. Anyway a/v streaming is taking over, a favorite of users with dysfunctional eyesight and tin ears, who don't mind paying good money for digital leftovers of better quality material.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd agree with the above posters who said MKV H264.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    H.265/hevc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Mkv with H264 codec,avi is outdated.
    jagabo was talking about AV1, the soon to be released standard from AOMedia (Google/Netflix/Mozilla/so on), not the old .AVI the container.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    "Best" must always be predicated by some criteria, priorities, application, audience.
    The OP specified:

Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
    smallest size video and best video quality??
    I took it to mean the best quality at the smallest file size. But I suppose you could guess that was two separate questions: what gives the best quality, and what gives the smallest file size.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    LPCM, 32bit, 384kHz
    But why (i know We can but...)? You triggered my curiosity...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's not always about "just good enough". Better to have a cushion, wiggle-room.

And, contrary to what has been promoted here and elsewhere, I have been able to tell - with surprising consistency* - the difference between 44/48k sampling and 88/96k sampling, and to a lesser extent between that and 176/192k. Because as I have said before, it is not just judgement of traditional criteria of audio but also of things such as impulse response slew, and interchannel timing differences affecting imaging (where higher samplerates can make a difference). Surely you remember I'm all about the stereo3d/holographic video and the binaural/soundfield/3d audio.

And this also goes to technical ear training. Partly why I take some of those past studies with a huge grain of salt, because they only approach the A/B testing from a certain traditional perspective.

Scott

*not so much now that I'm older, but still better than most.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Right now...

- MPEG-2 (15mpbs+ and 4:2:2 if possible)
    - H.264 in either MP4 or MKV container, CRF encoding

Again ... right now.

the king has spoken .... take note
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It's not always about "just good enough". Better to have a cushion, wiggle-room.

And, contrary to what has been promoted here and elsewhere, I have been able to tell - with surprising consistency* - the difference between 44/48k sampling and 88/96k sampling, and to a lesser extent between that and 176/192k. Because as I have said before, it is not just judgement of traditional criteria of audio but also of things such as impulse response slew, and interchannel timing differences affecting imaging (where higher samplerates can make a difference). Surely you remember I'm all about the stereo3d/holographic video and the binaural/soundfield/3d audio.

And this also goes to technical ear training. Partly why I take some of those past studies with a huge grain of salt, because they only approach the A/B testing from a certain traditional perspective.

Scott

*not so much now that I'm older, but still better than most.
    384kHz@32 bits? IMHO even 16 bit with sufficient noise shaping will deliver more than 32 bits dynamics (theoretical), i doubt that without few tens of kV you will be able to push noise floor bellow -130dB. I mean those numbers looks good but for LPCM more than 24 bits is impractical from technology perspective... Especially that slew rate for Delta Sigma is rather slow when compared to pure monolithic DAC... but anyway thanks for an answer - was just curious.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    May not be necessary for end user, but for a producer it can be vital.

The OP wanted a superlative, I gave him/her a superlative. Is it practical? Not really. More my wish.
    You don't have to approve - I understand.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    May not be necessary for end user, but for a producer it can be vital.

You don't have to approve - I understand.
    For work-flow may be not enough (considering existence of DSD512).
    Not a manager, not my role and have no intention to be. You just triggered curiosity, that's all.
    Thx!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you really need to ask the OP's question then I think the best one would be the one he or she can figure out how to use.
    Quote Quote  
  20. There is no perfect codec but for quality and file-size

H264 is the King at the moment in mp4 or mkv container
    H265 is better in some instances than h264 at similar bit-rates / file-size
    AV1 will probably be better than everything else but it's not currently playable by all devices
    Quote Quote  
  21. there is no "one-size-fits-all." too many variables affect what is best. most people would probably say h264-encoded video inside mp4/m4v or mkv container with aac 2.0 and/or ac3 5.1 audio. h265 will save some space at the cost of longer encoding times and less compatibility.
    Last edited by stonesfan99; 11th Mar 2018 at 14:07.
    Quote Quote