VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    It was working fine until my computer suddenly crashed and playback no longer went beyond 10:30 of almost an hour-and-a-half of footage.

I've tried various things I could find on the subject of repairing it, from using various different recovery software like Recuva, to attempting to inject metadata, and nothing seems to be able to get a proper read on it before an error occurs.

"Recovering" it only results in the video being partially salvaged, stopping each time at around ~200mb of over 2gb and that same 10:30 of uncorrupted data.

Running it through FLVMDI only results in the program being unable to open the file due to an error with no other activity to speak of.

I have no previous version of it saved anywhere, and no matter what player I use, it just won't play beyond that 10:30 mark.

I've checked for errors in the HDD where the file is stored and had several bad clusters in the drive fixed, but the bad clusters in this file don't get the same treatment, even when they show.

Is there any way for me to restore it without taking out my wallet?
    Last edited by Llewen; 2nd Mar 2018 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. have you tried to convert it with vlc ?
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    have you tried to convert it with vlc ?
    Yup. Tried converting it with other programs as well, and it always stops at the 10:30 mark.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try opening it in a Hex editor. Try VirtualDub FilterMod. It seems to open .flv files.
    The Hex editor is in 'Tools'. If you see lots of zeros, probably no data there past the 10:30 point.
    You could try other recovery programs, but if the data is badly damaged or just missing, not a lot of hope.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    You could try opening it in a Hex editor. Try VirtualDub FilterMod. It seems to open .flv files.
    The Hex editor is in 'Tools'. If you see lots of zeros, probably no data there past the 10:30 point.
    You could try other recovery programs, but if the data is badly damaged or just missing, not a lot of hope.
    Yeah...The majority is just a bunch of 0's. I'm guessing that means the data's just missing?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Sorry.

Normally you would see columns of alphanumeric characters with some short breaks/pauses in the video showing as zeros.
    You can take a look at a non-corrupted video to see the differences.
    Quote Quote