VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi!,

Does anyone know of a Blu-Ray Player supporting BDXL Discs and preferrable having DTS-X & Dolby ATMOS Supoort? I have been going through the User Manuals of Many of them and they have like lists DISCS NOT SUPPORTED: BDXL. I am hoping there is one but haven't had any luck. Any help would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably not many set-top players can handle BDXL discs. They are not that common and fairly new. I've used a few for data discs.
    Verbatim is the only brand BDXL I would recommend at present.

DTS-X & Dolby ATMOS support suggest commercial BD rips or conversions.
    Most commercial BDs seem to be less than 50GB, much less if you leave out the 'extras', so not sure why you need 100GB BDs.
    Maybe for 4K commercial BDs? I have no idea of their sizes.

Hopefully other members will have suggestions for set-top players that can handle BDXL discs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think you will find any Blu-ray players with BDXL support now. Even UHD Blu-ray players either specifically say BDXL is not supported, or don't mention BDXL in the list of supported disc formats in their manual. The Blu-ray Disc Association is working on a spec for UHD Blu-ray on burned media, so it is possible that someday you'll find a UHD Blu-ray player that reads them, but it will probably take at least a couple of years for the feature to become available.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi.

The Panasonic UB900 can play BDXL discs, can do the same the new Panasonic models???

Regards.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zizux View Post
    Hi.

The Panasonic UB900 can play BDXL discs, can do the same the new Panasonic models???

Regards.
    Do you own a Panasonic UB900? If not, where did you see that the Panasonic UB900 can play BDXL discs? I downloaded the Panasonic UB900's owner's manual from their US website. The "Playable media" chart on page 6 lists BD-R and BD-RE as playable. BDXL is not mentioned at all in the manual.

Jake802 is in the USA. As far as I can tell the only Panasonic US-model Blu-ray players available here now are older than the Panasonic UB900 and do not list BDXL as playable.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by zizux View Post
    Hi.

Regards.
    Do you own a Panasonic UB900? If not, where did you see that the Panasonic UB900 can play BDXL discs? I downloaded the Panasonic UB900's owner's manual from their US website. The "Playable media" chart on page 6 lists BD-R and BD-RE as playable. BDXL is not mentioned at all in the manual.

Jake802 is in the USA. As far as I can tell the only Panasonic US-model Blu-ray players available here now are older than the Panasonic UB900 and do not list BDXL as playable.

I can confirm that the UB900(Europe Version) reads BDXL, despite how you say in the manual does not mention it.

Regards
    Quote Quote  
  7. The Sony UBP-X700 will play BDXL-R disks providing that the content does not exceed ~66GB of data (i.e. data written only to the first 2 layers). Initially I burned an .iso image of Blade Runner 2049 4K (over 70GB) to a blank Verbatim BDXL-R disc but the X700 refused to read the disc. Recently, I read on another forum that only writing data to the first 2 layers will likely allow a UHD standalone blu-ray player to read these type of discs. Tried that theory by writing an iso image of Star Trek Into Darkness 4K (approx 60GB) to a Verbatim BDXL-R disc and can confirm that the Sony UBP-X700 will play this disc without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Hey Oakeyt,

Can you please advise which burner you use and what software you use to burn star trek.

I use dvdfab to rip them to an iso file then use either nero or dvd fab.

I have tried 5 times to burn disc and my oppo can't read the disc or my friends oppo gets to the layer change and the movie freezes.

It would be great if the sony ubp-x700 worked. I'm in australia and this machine is available locally.

Also too are you using the 100gb verbatim bdxl-r discs.

thanks

Oakeyt
    Re: BluRay Player with BDXL Support

The Sony UBP-X700 will play BDXL-R disks providing that the content does not exceed ~66GB of data (i.e. data written only to the first 2 layers). Initially I burned an .iso image of Blade Runner 2049 4K (over 70GB) to a blank Verbatim BDXL-R disc but the X700 refused to read the disc. Recently, I read on another forum that only writing data to the first 2 layers will likely allow a UHD standalone blu-ray player to read these type of discs. Tried that theory by writing an iso image of Star Trek Into Darkness 4K (approx 60GB) to a Verbatim BDXL-R disc and can confirm that the Sony UBP-X700 will play this disc without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi kadu7475,

I use Imgburn (free) to burn all my discs without any problems (I would recommend using the slowest speed - I use 2x - and don't run any other programs while the burn is taking place.

My burner is an external Samsung SE-506BB

The Sony UBP-X700 (UK model) will only read the Verbatim BDXL-R 100GB discs if data is only written to the first two layers i.e. no more than 66GB. If you write to the 3rd layer the Sony won't play the disc - the manual actually states that BDXL discs are incompatible, which is true if the written data exceeds 66GB. In fact, it won't even read an empty BDXL disc, presumably because it sees all 3 layers, whereas writing to only the first 2 layers and finalising the disc (Imgburn does that automatically) obviously 'fools' the Sony into allowing the disc to be read.

By the way the Sony UDP-X700 performs v.well. although I doubt it's a match for an Oppo!

Good luck!

Oakeyt
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Hey Oakeyt,

so with image burn you burn the iso file to disc.

do you do it as a data file.

just asking as i haven't used imageburn in a long time.

can you use any program to convert the file to ISO first.

i have the asus burner and will use dvdfab to convert to ISO then use imageburn to copy

lastly do you burn the whole disc or just the movie.

cheers

kadu7475
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted as I was talking about a Blu-ray drive and not a Blu-ray player which OP is after.
    Last edited by KarMa; 7th Jun 2018 at 03:37.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Kadu7475,

Yes, I use Imgburn to burn the .iso to a blank verbatim bdxl-r 100gb disc

An .iso is a file. Imgburn has many options, one of which is to burn an .iso file to disc

Use dvdfab to convert the movie (full disc) to an .iso

Burn the .iso that is an exact copy of the original movie including menus, extras etc. to the blank disc, remembering that if the .iso file is larger than ~66gb you won't be able to play it on the Sony ubp-x700

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just to be clear on how much data you can write to these Verbatim BDXL-R 100GB discs before the Sony UBP-X700 refuses to read them: although the discs are stated as being 100GB, their actually data capacity is 93.2GB. Therefore, based on an assumption that each of the 3 layers are the same size, the maximum amount of data that the combined first 2 layers will hold is 62.13GB

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Hey Oakeyt,

which one do you use on imageburn to copy

[Attachment 45847 - Click to enlarge]

hope that worked
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oakeyt View Post
    although the discs are stated as being 100GB, their actually data capacity is 93.2GB.
    It's a decimal vs binary data sizes thing. The disc manufactures are technically correct but everyone else uses binary data sizes but labels them with decimal units. GB (decimal) GiB (binary). It did not really matter much back when we only dealt with KBs and MBs but now the difference is getting out of hand.

https://www.google.com/search?q=100+gigabytes+to+gigibytes&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hello ,
    I confirm sony x700 does not read;

SONY BD-RE XL discs

Disc ID: SONY-ET2-002 / ok or on this you can burn up to 2x layer +/- 61gb? What settings for imgburn. thx
    Quote Quote  
  17. Don't have any of these Sony discs so can't confirm whether playback will work if only the first 2 layers are written. As they are rewriteable discs, whh not try it and see?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The actual size of the data storage space on optical discs is shown to the upper left on this page in 'WHAT IS' Blu-ray and DVD.
    I still recommend only Verbatim BDXL discs and ImgBurn to burn those discs, Other brands may vary. You will also need a compatible BDXL optical writer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. what settings for udf / mode? imgburn
    Quote Quote  
  20. What do you mean by "UDF / Mode"?

UDF is universal disk format, "a disc imaging format used for storing files on optical media"

What exactly are you trying to do? e.g. burn an iso image to a blank blu-ray disc.

You need to provide as much detail as possible if you want to receive the right/best advice
    Quote Quote  
  21. set udf 2.5 or 2.6 ? mode1/2048? thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Just go with UDF 2.60 (shouldn't matter between this and 2.5 when you're creating a single session, disc-at-one burn, but just to be safe), mode1/2048 (only mode possible with DVDs and BDs).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oakeyt View Post
    In fact, it won't even read an empty BDXL disc, presumably because it sees all 3 layers, whereas writing to only the first 2 layers and finalising the disc (Imgburn does that automatically) obviously 'fools' the Sony into allowing the disc to be read.
    Maybe Blu-ray player/recorders can read an unfinalized BD, assuming the player created the disc, but I expect that all burned BD media requires finalization to be readable by a regular stand-alone player.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    I can confirm the sony 4k uhd player won't play bdxl disc, tried burning 5 movies under 60gb using image burn and each time the machine didn't read them.

I am not waiting to see if the new pioneer 4k player which is due out later this year will have bdxl support.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The sony udp-x700 uk model will play verbatim bdxl-r discs with files burned to disc using Imgburn so long as the files dk not extend onto the 3rd layer.
    Only yesterday I successfully burned 'LUCY' uhd to a verbatim disc and played it back successfully on the sony.
    Quote Quote  
  26. So it is believed I can use Verbatim BDXL's, the Sony UDP-X700, and keep the files under 60 GB's for UHD?It appears here in the states it is a Sony UBP-X700.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does somebody has tried to read BD-R XL video with the new Panasonic DP-UB820 (Europe name) ? This reader is new dynamic HDR "standards" most "open" : HDR10, HLG, HDR10+, Dolby Vision and I believe a future "Technicolor" spec...
    But today, nobody has been able to confirm for me that DP-UB820 could read correctly video BD-R XL burned with imgburn like its old brother Panasonic DMP-UB900 do (I own one, but no hope it will one day support HDR10+ and Dolby Vision for hardware carence reason)...

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  28. My typo, I meant UBP-X700. Yes, it will play Verbatim BDXL discs burned using ImgBurn, but only with files totalling no more than ~66GB.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    [Attachment 46009 - Click to enlarge]

this is what i got from my burn anyone help. please

dave
    Quote Quote