VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 18
FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 535
Thread
  1. That is a million dollar question. Somehow the UHD players are recognizing the burnt bd-xl discs and not playing even if they are decrypted. But the commercial discs are BD100. There is something with the burning process or decryption or the discs itself. So if you lose one of the UHD movies, you won't be able to play the copy burnt in bdxl unless you have UB450 or you copy it to usb and play it in a media player.
    Check the previous posts in this thread. Few did some tests and found a way to burn bdxl in a proper way that few players can read.
    You can try getting few Verbatim M discs (highest quality) and burn with pioneer or lg external usb burner and test it out.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    That is a million dollar question. Somehow the UHD players are recognizing the burnt bd-xl discs and not playing even if they are decrypted. But the commercial discs are BD100. There is something with the burning process or decryption or the discs itself. So if you lose one of the UHD movies, you won't be able to play the copy burnt in bdxl unless you have UB450 or you copy it to usb and play it in a media player.
    Check the previous posts in this thread. Few did some tests and found a way to burn bdxl in a proper way that few players can read.
    You can try getting few Verbatim M discs (highest quality) and burn with pioneer or lg external usb burner and test it out.
    Yes, you are right, this is the issue that we cannot fix within our capability because the cost is too high for either buy another BD-Player such UB450 or buy Verbatim M DISC BDXL 100GB which costs $231 for the twenty-five discs pack. I will either buy UHD movies from Amazon or just watch the BD original copies with Nvidia Shield. But I will still try Verbatim M DISC BDXL 100GB with a BD-100 movie to see if it works, I have tried SONY BD-RE XL 100GB for a BD-100 movie in which the BD-Player cannot play SONY BD-RE XL 100G disc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    If you are ripping UHD to m2ts or mkv files, it is not worth to burn it to optical discs. M2ts can't have subtitles, multiple audio or chapters. Use makemkv to make a copy to your hard drive and use Nvidia shield, bd player or zidoo to play it back. Reading mkv/m2ts from usb will be smoother than from optical discs.
    This -- and Post #478 below -- were pretty much what I was thinking on this subject. That is, so long as MakeMKV has no upper size limit for the video files it makes, and there is no degradation in quality. (The largest ripped .MKV file I've seen, at least among those offered for download, was around 24 GB. Can't recall ripping any myself that were much larger than that.)

    I have Nvidia Shield, so this would be a very available option.

    Still never got any answer as to whether these BR decks are still being sold NEW . . . ?
    Last edited by Seeker47; 27th Oct 2023 at 16:56.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thus I have for many years no problem with 100th Verbatim from ebay whom I play on my Panasonic UB 900 easily and burn with an Asus BW-16 D1HT.
    Last edited by wolflop; 29th Oct 2023 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    Yes, you are right, this is the issue that we cannot fix within our capability because the cost is too high for either buy another BD-Player such UB450 or buy Verbatim M DISC BDXL 100GB which costs $231 for the twenty-five discs pack. I will either buy UHD movies from Amazon or just watch the BD original copies with Nvidia Shield. But I will still try Verbatim M DISC BDXL 100GB with a BD-100 movie to see if it works, I have tried SONY BD-RE XL 100GB for a BD-100 movie in which the BD-Player cannot play SONY BD-RE XL 100G disc.
    You don't need M disc. Just Verbatim 100gb discs (costs about $5 each if you buy a 20 pack) should work fine. I have burned them in 4x speed and watched in UB450 with no skips. In the latest firmware, it also attempts to read movies written only in two layers (size < 66gb), HDR kicks in and the movie plays with audio for few seconds and freezes. If the burn size > 66gb, it plays without a hiccup.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Not a perfect solution, but….
    Dvdfab will copy a 4K blu ray to BD50 with menus and DV/HDR intact (plus you can jettison extraneous audio you don’t need).
    With 4K discs that are BD66 - the loss is negligible.
    You’ll take a bigger bitrate hit if you copy BD100 —> BD50.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Not a perfect solution, but….
    Dvdfab will copy a 4K blu ray to BD50 with menus and DV/HDR intact (plus you can jettison extraneous audio you don’t need).
    With 4K discs that are BD66 - the loss is negligible.
    You’ll take a bigger bitrate hit if you copy BD100 —> BD50.
    Unless you have a player like mine that really does not support BD66. [Retail discs work just fine]
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    Not a perfect solution, but….
    Dvdfab will copy a 4K blu ray to BD50 with menus and DV/HDR intact (plus you can jettison extraneous audio you don’t need).
    With 4K discs that are BD66 - the loss is negligible.
    You’ll take a bigger bitrate hit if you copy BD100 —> BD50.
    Unless you have a player like mine that really does not support BD66. [Retail discs work just fine]
    You misunderstand- it will shrink BD100 retail discs and BD66 retail discs to BD-R 50GB. Store-bought reatail 4K movies are always on BD66 or BD100 discs.
    (There are no consumer BD-66 blank discs)

    I highly doubt your player cannot play retail BD-66 4K discs- a large percentage of retail 4K discs are on BD-66.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Do you have an Intel PC or AMD?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    Do you have an Intel PC or AMD?
    Both.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bon Javi View Post
    Hello.

    Write to see if anyone has been able to verify the following:

    When I bought my DP-UB450 a few months ago, I did not connect it to the Internet under any circumstances to prevent any updates. This fact is due to the fear that a new update will spoil the reading of BDXL Discs.

    I just checked that this year 2023 they released a new update. The version is 1.21. Has anyone been able to verify if with this version there are no changes when playing BDXL Disc?


    All the best.
    Just an observation I spotted on another site. Firmware Updates can be worrying things:

    11/15/23
    "My Panasonic UB820 wouldn’t play this until I updated the firmware. If you’re having playback issues a firmware update might be needed.
    ---End Quote---
    I've seen several people claim that after the latest Panasonic 820 update (1.76?), the Top Menu trick no longer works for playing region-locked discs. I left my 820's internet connection off for fear of that very possibility (even though I thought it might be paranoid of me)."
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    I've seen several people claim that after the latest Panasonic 820 update (1.76?), the Top Menu trick no longer works for playing region-locked discs. I left my 820's internet connection off for fear of that very possibility (even though I thought it might be paranoid of me)."
    Not unreasonable -- this sort of thing has been known to happen. I have an Oppo BR deck that can play a lot of ISO files. (Not a feature I use much, but I resent it when things are arbitrarily taken away. Not sure if that's limited to DVD ISOs, or whether it included BR ISOs -- which would be rare birds, in any case.) Firmware updates were reported to have withdrawn that functionality, so I kept the deck as is, and unconnected to the internet, just in case. What was I possibly giving up by so doing ? The built-in gateway apps to Netflix and other streaming options. But I had all that covered elsewhere, such as via the Nvidia Shield. Those streaming apps tend to go out of date over time anyway, and appliances like the Shield that can update them seem to be in the minority. I have Netflix, MLB, and other apps on some other devices, which either no longer work at all or barely work, with clunky, rather limited operability.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
    I've seen several people claim that after the latest Panasonic 820 update (1.76?), the Top Menu trick no longer works for playing region-locked discs. I left my 820's internet connection off for fear of that very possibility (even though I thought it might be paranoid of me)."
    Not unreasonable -- this sort of thing has been known to happen. I have an Oppo BR deck that can play a lot of ISO files. (Not a feature I use much, but I resent it when things are arbitrarily taken away. Not sure if that's limited to DVD ISOs, or whether it included BR ISOs -- which would be rare birds, in any case.) Firmware updates were reported to have withdrawn that functionality, so I kept the deck as is, and unconnected to the internet, just in case. What was I possibly giving up by so doing ? The built-in gateway apps to Netflix and other streaming options. But I had all that covered elsewhere, such as via the Nvidia Shield. Those streaming apps tend to go out of date over time anyway, and appliances like the Shield that can update them seem to be in the minority. I have Netflix, MLB, and other apps on some other devices, which either no longer work at all or barely work, with clunky, rather limited operability.
    Yup. Always good to not be connected. Anyone who remembers Cinavia knows. Lol.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I always bring up the BDA not creating a detailed spec of BDXL creation? Without this, how can you design a standalone player that deal with "hiccups"?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    I always bring up the BDA not creating a detailed spec of BDXL creation? Without this, how can you design a standalone player that deal with "hiccups"?


    https://blu-raydisc.info/format-spec/r3-spec.php

    already done

    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback .
    what does the manual say about bdxl support? what version number? was the disc used for recording video from the hard drive? did you try try the disc on another player?

    The ZR1 added “1.3x recording” to the compressed 4K mode. This is a mode designed for “perfect dubbing of 4K programs within 2 hours” onto a 25 GB BD-R.
    try recording to a regular bd-r then tell if you see the same issue
    Last edited by 4kblurayguru; 29th Nov 2023 at 07:59.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    The specifications of DMR-ZR1 for the rewritable Blu-ray discs are

    These specifications are from Japanese Panasonic website
    https://panasonic.jp/diga/p-db/DMR-ZR1_spec.html?_gl=1*1obggng*_ga*Njk3ODY0NzM3LjE2OTk...737.1699309818

    BD-RE ○(片面1層/2層/3層、25GB~100GB)
    BD-R ○(片面1層/2層/3層/4層、25GB~128GB

    So, it supports 100GB BD-RE XL and 128GB BD-R

    I also read the reviews from Japanese website for the DMR-ZR1, it outperforms the UB-9000 for sure.
    Here is the translation of the interview for the Kazuhiko Kono and Shingo Miyamoto from the Hardware Design Department, Visual Sound BU Technology Center, Panasonic Entertainment & Communication Co., Ltd.
    The link is here, you can use google translation to read in English https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17560173
    https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17560173
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Panasonic's "DMR-ZR1" has truly stress-free picture and sound. It is truly a “premium” item that will completely change the way you enjoy content (previous) [Close to featured products 02]

    2022-08-02
    Koji Yamamoto
    newsreviewAV/home theaterPANASONICBD/HDD recorder4K22.2chdolby atmos
     Panasonic's 4K Blu-ray disc recorder "DMR-ZR1". As a DIGA premium model, it has attracted attention for achieving image and sound quality that meets the expectations of audiovisual fans, and has become so popular that there was a temporary backorder since its release in January of this year.

     The DMR-ZR1 was finally delivered to Koji Yamamoto's theater, and he says he is enjoying its high quality every day. Therefore, this time, we invited Kazuhiko Kono and Shingo Miyamoto of Panasonic Entertainment & Communication Co., Ltd., the developers of the DMR-ZR1, for a round-table discussion while experiencing the performance of the DMR-ZR1 at the Yamamoto Theater. (StereoSoundONLINE Editorial Department)

    ●4K BD/HDD recorder
    Panasonic DMR-ZR1 Estimated market price around 360,000 yen (tax included)

    Image 1: Panasonic's "DMR-ZR1" has a truly stress-free picture and sound. It is truly a “premium” item that will completely change the way you enjoy content (previous) [Close to featured products 02]
    ●Built-in HDD capacity: 6 TB
    ●Number of built-in tuners: 3 (terrestrial digital/BS/BS4K/CS/CS110 degree 4K shared)
    ●Playable media: BD-RE (single-sided 1 layer/2 layers/3 layers, 25 GB ~ 100 GB), BD-R (single-sided 1 layer/2 layers/3 layers/4 layers, 25 GB to 128 GB), BD-Video, Ultra HD Blu-ray, DVD-RAM (compatible with DVD-VR standard), DVD -R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-VIDEO, CD-DA, CD-R/RW
    ●Connection terminals: HDMI output x 2, optical digital audio output x 2 (optical, coaxial), USB terminal x 2 (USB2.0 1 system, USB3.0 1 system), LAN terminal, etc.
    Power consumption: Approximately 30W (standby approximately 0.9W/quick start off, time display off)
    Dimensions/mass: W430 x H87 x D300mm (not including protrusions)/13.6kg
    Image 2: Panasonic's "DMR-ZR1" has truly stress-free picture and sound. It is truly a “premium” item that will completely change the way you enjoy content (previous) [Close to featured products 02]
    Yamamoto : Welcome to our theater today. The other day, the ``DMR-ZR1'' finally arrived, and as I compare it to the UHD Blu-ray disc player ``DP-UB9000,'' which was my main playback device up until then, I am constantly impressed and surprised by its performance.

     I had to wait a long time after ordering, but does this mean that there were more orders than expected?

    Kono : Yes, thanks to you. The initial number of orders was very unpredictable.

    Yamamoto DMR-ZR1 is Diga's flagship model, but when did it become a premium recorder model?

    KonoIt 's been since "DMR-UBZ1" in 2015. However, as a recorder, the DMR-UBZ1 was compatible with 2K broadcasting and was also equipped with a UHD Blu-ray playback function.

    Yamamoto : That's right. The DMR-ZR1 is the first premium model as a 4K recorder. It's natural that we put a lot of effort into development.

    KonoWhen we thought about creating a premium 4K recorder, we wanted to achieve a quality that exceeds the DP-UB9000 as a player as well.

    Yamamoto : It has to be that way. The image quality of the DMR-ZR1 as a player is also far superior to that of the DP-UB9000.

    Image: In Mr. Yamamoto's theater room, he uses the DMR-ZR1 (top row of photos) and DP-UB9000 (second row) as appropriate to check the characteristics of each image. The bottom row is the surround AV center, Denon AVC-A110
    In Mr. Yamamoto's theater room, he uses the DMR-ZR1 (top row of photos) and DP-UB9000 (second row) as appropriate to check the characteristics of each image. The bottom row is the surround AV center, Denon AVC-A110

    Kono : I'm glad to hear you say that. I thought that he would probably be a product that would have mixed reviews.

    Yamamoto : What do you mean by that?

    Kono : If it was a product of this grade, I'm sure there would be opinions such as wishing it had analog audio output, or wishing it was a player anyway. On the other hand, there are also people who want a premium 4K recorder, and we will have to meet those expectations.

    Yamamoto :Certainly, since this is a product for enthusiasts, there will be a variety of requests. Several of my friends also purchased the DMR-ZR1, and they all use it as a player. I myself interpret this product as a top-of-the-line UHD player that can also be used as a 4K recorder.

    Kono : It is inevitable that a variety of opinions will emerge, but we cannot respond to all of them. What we thought was that the quality of the HDMI output image and sound quality had to be the best, and that it had to at least surpass the DP-UB9000. I thought that the lifeline of the DMR-ZR1 was whether or not we could make this a reality.

    Yamamoto : However, I think he did a great job in this era when it was difficult to come up with product plans for highly hobbyist, high-end models. I would also like to pay tribute to the project manager who gave the green light to this project.

    Kono : Originally, it was from the technical side that we said we wanted to create a premium model of 4K recorder. Since we haven't made a top-of-the-line DIGA model since the DMR-UBZ1, we wanted to create the top-of-the-line 4K recorder.

    Yamamoto :Certainly, recent digital cameras have focused on functionality, such as large capacity and the ability to record all channels.

    Image: FIBBR's new 8K compatible HDMI cable is being tested. Directly connected to the projector and AV center using separate HDMI outputs
    Regarding HDMI cables, FIBBR is currently testing a new 8K compatible product. Directly connected to the projector and AV center using separate HDMI outputs

    It is true that the Kono Premium Model takes time to develop, so it is difficult to get the project through. This time, I made a proposal from the technical side, and I was really happy when the business manager approved it, saying, ``It's Diga's responsibility to release a top-end model at the right time.''

    Yamamoto : That's a good story.

    Kono: The reason we are able to create such an environment is because of Diga's history. I've been in charge of the first Blu-ray DIGA model, the DMR-BW200, and since then I've worked hard with various manufacturers to develop it. I believe that receiving high praise from HiVi Best Buy and the Grand Prix led to a common understanding within the company that Diga must pursue quality.

    Yamamoto : Gaining recognition through media such as HiVi is also an important mission.

    Since I'm Kono , I always feel a lot of pressure if the critics don't give me any good reviews at all (lol). I started with the feeling that if I failed, there would be no next time, but fortunately I have been able to make great achievements so far, which is why I was able to develop the DMR-ZR1.

    Yamamoto : By the way, I believe that manufacturing sites are currently experiencing a difficult situation due to the tight supply of electronic components, but did you have any difficulties in making the DMR-ZR1?

    Miyamoto : Of course, there was also a problem with parts supply for the DMR-ZR1. Fortunately, I think we were able to proceed somewhat smoothly without making everyone wait too long.

    Yamamoto : There are some special parts that are used only in the DMR-ZR1, right?

    Image: A power conditioner circuit has been added around the USB and HDMI to suppress noise. The red part in the photo is a part using ruby ​​mica.
    A power conditioner circuit has been added around the USB and HDMI to suppress noise. The red part in the photo is a part using ruby ​​mica.

    MiyamotoThere are several electronic parts, and many of the parts for the housing are only used in the DMR-ZR1 and DP-UB9000. In particular, ruby ​​mica, which is used in the USB power conditioner around the power supply, is produced only in the Bihar region of India, so it is a component that is in short supply to begin with.

     Did they even specify the place of origin in Yamamoto ?

    Miyamoto : That's right. We are still trying to get some supplies in, but the lead time is extremely long, so we placed the order early to secure it.

    With the Kono DMR-ZR1, getting parts wasn't such a big problem, but it was largely because we had taken countermeasures early on.

     This is because since the start of the coronavirus outbreak, there has been a tremendous increase in the number of stories about parts for various models not being available or production of certain parts being discontinued.

     If it is a regular model, you can replace it with a substitute if the specs and quality are the same, but this is not the case with a premium model like the DMR-ZR1. This is because unless you actually test it, you can't decide whether it's usable in terms of quality or not. Miyamoto has been continuing this type of research for the past several years.

    Miyamoto : That's right. For the past two years, we have been conducting such preliminary research. Using a prototype machine based on the DP-UB9000, we are conducting a very detailed examination of what can be replaced if a certain part no longer fits, and if there is a way to improve the quality if it is to be replaced.

    Kono :It is precisely because we did this kind of work that we were able to produce the DMR-ZR1 relatively stably.

    Image: Mr. Kazuhiko Kono (left) and Mr. Shingo Miyamoto (right) from the Hardware Design Department, Visual Sound BU Technology Center, Panasonic Entertainment & Communication Co., Ltd., who responded to our interview.
    Kazuhiko Kono (left) and Shingo Miyamoto (right) from the Hardware Design Department, Visual Sound BU Technology Center, Panasonic Entertainment & Communication Co., Ltd., who responded to our interview.

    Yamamoto : I see. This is the result of steady efforts. Have the main parts changed considerably from the DP-UB9000?

    Miyamoto : Yes, we have changed a lot of parts related to the core parts. This is because, in many cases, supply of general-purpose parts was more difficult than that of audio parts. However, even with such general-purpose parts, the sound changes when you replace them, so it took some time to find parts with good sound.

    Yamamoto: The DMR-ZR1 is a dedicated digital output device for both video and sound, but how did you decide to remove the analog audio output?

     I considered installing a Kono analog audio output, but I thought it would be a bit unreasonable to put an HDD and tuner into the DP-UB9000's housing.

    After much discussion with Miyamoto Kono, we came to the conclusion that it would be better to specialize in digital audio output. I think that the quality of the digital output will be better and that it will be possible to achieve a quality that exceeds that of the DP-UB9000.

    KonoWhen asked if it would be possible to improve the digital audio and image quality by removing the analog audio circuit rather than installing an analog audio output halfway, Miyamoto answered that there is a way. This led to the DMR-ZR1.

    Yamamoto :The important point is that you didn't just remove the analog, but raised the quality of the digital one notch as a result.

    Image: The DMR-ZR1's power supply is separated into two parts on the board: one for the digital line and one for the drive (optical disk/HDD). This seems to have had a big impact on the quality of digital output.
    The DMR-ZR1's power supply is separated on the board into two parts: one for the digital line and one for the drive (optical disk/HDD). This seems to have had a big impact on the quality of digital output.

    MiyamotoAt first, I thought that if I installed two power supplies and used the extra power, the sound of the digital output would definitely improve. When I tried it on the DP-UB9000, the results exceeded my expectations. Moreover, the image quality had improved, so I immediately informed Kono.

    Miyamoto
    Kono is in charge of sound quality, so he doesn't usually say much about picture quality, but this time he said, "I think the picture has improved, so what do you think?" My impression at that time was very good, so we decided on the direction of development for the DMR-ZR1.

    YamamotoAs a UHD Blu-ray player, I thought that the Pioneer "UDP-LX800" had better not only analog audio but also HDMI output sound than the DP-UB9000, but the DMR-ZR1's HDMI output sound was better than the UDP-LX800. It exceeded LX800.

     Thank you Kono . After the release of the DP-UB9000, several critics, including Mr. Yamamoto, pointed out this point. If they were to release the DMR-ZR1 at this time, the DP-UB9000 would be a given, but I personally wanted it to be a product that could even surpass the sound quality of the UDP-LX800, so I'm very happy.

    YamamotoI had no idea there were so many benefits to separating switching power supplies from the beginning.

     Now, it is also a hot topic that the DMR-ZR1 is equipped with a function to convert the 22.2ch audio used in BS 8K/4K to Dolby Atmos. Please tell me again how it works.

    MiyamotoThis time, we decoded 22.2ch AAC and sent it to the AV center in a format called Dolby MAT (Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission). Dolby MAT is installed in all AV centers that support Dolby Atmos, so if you are using a compatible device, you can play it as is.

    Image: The DMR-ZR1 also has a function to convert and output BS4K/8K 22.2ch broadcasts to Dolby Atmos signals inside the DMR-ZR1. I'm glad that the AV center used can be used with any generation as long as it supports Dolby Atmos.
    It also has the ability to convert and output BS4K/8K 22.2ch broadcasts to Dolby Atmos signals inside the DMR-ZR1. I'm glad that the AV center used can be used with any generation as long as it supports Dolby Atmos.

    Even the Kono DP-UB9000 internally supported full 22.2ch decoding. But at that time there was no way to output it. However, I was able to output from the HDMI terminal by using Dolby MAT, so I gave it a try.

    YamamotoWhen did you realize that you could convert 22.2ch to Dolby Atmos?

     We had been considering the possibility of using Kono technology for quite some time, but at the time we thought it would be impossible due to the capabilities of the chips. For that reason, we had given up, but once the design of the DMR-ZR1 had progressed to a certain extent, we thought we might be able to do something about it again, so we held discussions with Dolby and other chip manufacturers. Then, we started talking about whether it might be possible.

     There aren't many opportunities to develop a premium model, so if there was a possibility, we decided to make it happen, so we headed straight for installing it.

    Yamamoto : Technically speaking, the decoded 22.2ch linear PCM is transferred to Dolby MAT. Does that mean the task is difficult?

    Miyamoto : The Dolby MAT standard specifies how to store 22.2ch linear PCM. However, since 22.2ch is channel-based, there is no metadata. Therefore, it is necessary to attach metadata to each signal and allocate the signals according to the standard.

    Yamamoto : I see, you're doing something quite complicated.

    Once this processing is done on the Miyamoto DMR-ZR1 side, the AV center will process it as a static object Dolby Atmos.

    Yamamoto :In any case, the DMR-ZR1 is truly a perfect product.

     I believe that the Kono DMR-ZR1 is the culmination of 16 years of Blu-ray DIGA. It may be a bit presumptuous to say this, but I believe that this is the result of friendly competition among Japanese audiovisual manufacturers.

    Yamamoto : That's a nice thing to say (lol). But next time, I'll be in trouble unless they make a product that surpasses the DMR-ZR1. There are still many requests from users, such as HDMI 2.1 compatibility and the ability to record 8K broadcasts, so I would like to see such developments.

    Kono : Yes, there are still things I need to think about, so I will continue to do my best.

    *Continue next time (scheduled to be released on August 9th)

    Image: We carefully listened to the UHD Blu-ray and recorded content recommended by Mr. Yamamoto. I'll share that impression next time!
    We listened carefully to the UHD Blu-ray and recorded content recommended by Mr. Yamamoto. I'll share that impression next time!

    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________

    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    I always bring up the BDA not creating a detailed spec of BDXL creation? Without this, how can you design a standalone player that deal with "hiccups"?


    https://blu-raydisc.info/format-spec/r3-spec.php

    already done

    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback .
    what does the manual say about bdxl support? what version number? was the disc used for recording video from the hard drive? did you try try the disc on another player?

    The ZR1 added “1.3x recording” to the compressed 4K mode. This is a mode designed for “perfect dubbing of 4K programs within 2 hours” onto a 25 GB BD-R.
    try recording to a regular bd-r then tell if you see the same issue
    Last edited by lxy172733823; 29th Nov 2023 at 17:54.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Can someone "dumb" the last post so it can be understand by those of us that don't have degrees in Engineering?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    Yes, you are absolutely correct. The Verbatim BD-RE DL 50GB which I used to burn for the 1080p BD folders plays very smoothly without any hiccups. Yes, I use Nero software and Pioneer blu-ray drive to burn the disc.

    I will definitely buy the Verbatim BD-RE XL 100GB and try it to see the difference. Thank you for letting me know this, otherwise I would think it could be the issue of DMR-ZR1 itself.

    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    Do you know any reliable brands for BD-RE XL 100GB, because it's rewritable, that's the reason why I use BD-RE disc to burn 4k BD folders, because one disc can be used to play multiple times of 4k UHD Blu-ray movies.

    But I don't see BD-RE XL 100GB from verbatim. Only the brands like Panasonic, Sony have BDXL 100GB for sale, not verbatim. Is Panasonic better than Sony, I may try Panasonic.


    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    Do you know any reliable brands for BD-RE XL 100GB, because it's rewritable, that's the reason why I use BD-RE disc to burn 4k BD folders, because one disc can be used to play multiple times of 4k UHD Blu-ray movies.

    But I don't see BD-RE XL 100GB from verbatim. Only the brands like Panasonic, Sony have BDXL 100GB for sale, not verbatim. Is Panasonic better than Sony, I may try Panasonic.


    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    I would stay away from BD-RE XL if you wish to test the new player. Though they should work per the specs, it is better to use BD-R similar to commercial discs. Yes, you will lose a disc if it didn't work. BD-R generally costs lesser than BD-RE also.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    For the BD-RE DL 50GB, there's no problem for the player to play smoothly, I just cannot figure out why it is happening on the BD-RE XL 100GB, I will buy one Panasonic BD-RE XL 100GB for testing to see if this issue still exists, if it is then it could be the problem of the player itself.

    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    Do you know any reliable brands for BD-RE XL 100GB, because it's rewritable, that's the reason why I use BD-RE disc to burn 4k BD folders, because one disc can be used to play multiple times of 4k UHD Blu-ray movies.

    But I don't see BD-RE XL 100GB from verbatim. Only the brands like Panasonic, Sony have BDXL 100GB for sale, not verbatim. Is Panasonic better than Sony, I may try Panasonic.


    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    I would stay away from BD-RE XL if you wish to test the new player. Though they should work per the specs, it is better to use BD-R similar to commercial discs. Yes, you will lose a disc if it didn't work. BD-R generally costs lesser than BD-RE also.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member Seeker47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Must this be run on a converter, or does it work from U.S. current ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    I added a 120V to 100V step down transformer for the DMR-ZR1, and I only use it to play Blu-ray discs. Yes, the picture quality is superb better than UB9000, as it is mentioned before.

    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    I just bought Panasonic DMR-ZR1 from Japan. it costed me $250 shipping from Japan to US. It is worth it because the picture quality is better than UB9000. For the BDXL playback, DMR-ZR1 supports BDXL playback but its audio and video always hiccups, the sound is intermittent, and picture is not consistent. Can anyone explain why this happens? thank you. The BDXL disc I used is SONY BD-RE XL 100GB.
    Must this be run on a converter, or does it work from U.S. current ?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    I just ordered 20 discs reel of Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB and another Verbatim M-DISC BD-R XL 100GB 10 discs pack from Japan, and I will see if they work, if they do resolve the issue, then it must be the problem of SONY discs, we will see.

    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Originally Posted by lxy172733823 View Post
    Do you know any reliable brands for BD-RE XL 100GB, because it's rewritable, that's the reason why I use BD-RE disc to burn 4k BD folders, because one disc can be used to play multiple times of 4k UHD Blu-ray movies.

    But I don't see BD-RE XL 100GB from verbatim. Only the brands like Panasonic, Sony have BDXL 100GB for sale, not verbatim. Is Panasonic better than Sony, I may try Panasonic.


    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Don't use Sony discs - they are reported to be unreliable. Try Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB discs.
    Are you using an external usb burner?
    Did you use imgburn and verified it after burning?
    I would stay away from BD-RE XL if you wish to test the new player. Though they should work per the specs, it is better to use BD-R similar to commercial discs. Yes, you will lose a disc if it didn't work. BD-R generally costs lesser than BD-RE also.
    Quote Quote  
  27. There were reports that UB9000 Japan version plays BD-XL but nobody has tested DMR-ZR1. If it works, that'd be great.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    I have DMR-ZR1 which is the upgraded version of UB9000 as the article translated in English I previously mentioned. DMR-ZR1 can play BDXL disc but with some issues which I don't if they are related with the DMR-ZR1 itself or the SONY disc I used to burn. I just bought Verbatim BD-R XL 100GB from Japan and I will try this disc in next week when I receive.

    But for sure, the DMR-ZR1 has better picture quality and sound quality than UB9000 because of the redesign of the digital power supply. here is the quote from the designer of the DMR-ZR1: https://online.stereosound.co.jp/_ct/17539566

    "The timing for this endeavor was truly appropriate. Mr. Kono said, ``The basic performance of digital signal processing has reached a level where the UB9000 has reached its limits.'' In other words, by providing a high-quality power source in an extremely high-quality environment, we were able to see a surprising improvement in image and sound quality. If it weren't for that level of digital quality, the benefits wouldn't have been so noticeable. The engineers' surprise was directly connected to my surprise at Seiko Matsuda's air check BD-R at the beginning. It certainly exceeded UB9000 by a wide margin. To use rhetoric, we have removed analog and enhanced digital video and audio to resemble analog."

    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    There were reports that UB9000 Japan version plays BD-XL but nobody has tested DMR-ZR1. If it works, that'd be great.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    There were reports that UB9000 Japan version plays BD-XL but nobody has tested DMR-ZR1. If it works, that'd be great.
    I have received the Verbatim BD-R XL today, and I burt one 4k UHD folders with capacity of 90GB, and tested playback on my DMR-ZR1, there's no intermittent issues for sound and picture anymore, it's like playing commercial disc, no any issues at all and the picture quality is superb. The issue is on the SONY BD-RE XL 100GB disc I used.

    I would say that if you are looking for the best picture and sound quality 4k Blu-ray player, then DMR-ZR1 is the best choice, forget about the Magnetar UDP-900 which is the most expensive 4k player in the market. UDP-900's picture quality is not comparable with the DMR-ZR1. DMR-ZR1 costs almost $2800 USD if you include the shipping cost.
    I also called Panasonic customer service headquarter in Japan. They said that DMR-ZR1 is only for the domestic market, not for the countries outside the Japan. So, If you want to buy DMR-ZR1, buy it from Japan and ship to your country.
    Quote Quote  
  30. That’s good news. How about a movie that is less than 66gb in size? Will that play? UB450 can’t do that.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!