VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18
FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by truelies View Post
    Curious why the 4k UHD disc iso write to bdxl doesn't work on 4k player? Is that due to the 4k UHD disc format different to BDXL, or the encryption?
    Different formats which is why the players don't have the bdxl logo. It's for big data recording, "movie players" assume you'll either play UHD disc or stream netflix/youtube.
    Last edited by 4kblurayguru; 23rd Jul 2022 at 21:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Corvius View Post
    I would *love* a BDXL player. I know everyone uses external hard drives now, but those can fail, where if an optical disc is stored properly, it will be fine extremely long term as it's non mechanical!

So I'm looking at the Panasonic DP-UB9000, but I understand while some say this will work on three layer BDXL, others say it may work sometimes, and other times not.

Playing back a burned copy would also need Cinavia detection disabled, and I have 4K discs from other countries, so I would need it to be region free as well. The only site I could find offers anything like this for the DP-UB9000 via custom firmware: RegionFreedom.com. Anyone have any experience with this? To get the firmware they ask for a "monetary contribution" and it's completely blank as to how much you should "contribute". This is actually looking scary to me because it looks and feels very much like the old "soup nazi" site firmwareinfo.com. The person that ran that was crazy and treated anyone wanting a custom firmware like garbage. For example you had to jump through a million hoops and if you did the slightest thing wrong he would ban you from the site. If you asked for firmware for more than one player it would be an instant ban; he didn't seem to care in the slightest about making any money. So I think it's probably a no go!

Anyways, it would be really nice to have a BDXL / UltraHD solution... I think we were spoiled since BD-ROM and BD-R/BD-R DL just worked on any player (until Cinavia anyways).

Has anyone tried to connect a BDXL drive via USB to an M9205? If the drive appears to the M9205 as an external drive with a UHD folder structure, what's the difference between that and an external HD with a UHD folder structure? It should work, no?
    Studios mostly gave up using Cinavia. It is rare to come across it these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just successfully burned and played a BDXL 100.
    Burner: LG WH16NS60 Mdisc connected by USB 2.0
    Ripped 90GB movie with MakeMKV backup.
    Burned with IMGburn 2x UDP 2.60 with verification.
    Disc: VERBATIM Mdisc 100GB BDXL (5 pack jewel case box)
    No pauses, stutters or freezes in playback. Perfect 1:1 copy played on Oppo 203.
    I'm going to try burning the same film again with
    1) Verbatim non-Mdisc 100GB BDXL
    2) Non- Verbatim (cheaper off brand) 100GB BDXL
    ...to see if I get the same results.
    Super excited this worked without a hitch.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I substitute Anydvd for MakeMKV, this should work as well?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    If I substitute Anydvd for MakeMKV, this should work as well?
    I've never used anyDVD - So I could not say if that would be successful.
    MakeMKV is freely available- I would just use that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both MakeMKV and AnyDVD have the ability to rip a UHD Blu-ray as files and folders, so it should work, assuming AnyDVD is able to decrypt the UHD Blu-ray disc. (Sometimes the decryption keys aren't available for a particular movie.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O.K. - I just did an identical burn, this time using a Verbatim 100GB BDXL that is NOT an Mdisc.
    It did not load into Oppo 203 on the first try. I ejected it and put it back in- and it loaded and worked perfectly on the second try.
    After watching the film - I ejected and reloaded. It loaded again no problem (although it takes about 20-30 seconds to load).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ...assuming AnyDVD is able to decrypt the UHD Blu-ray disc. (Sometimes the decryption keys aren't available for a particular movie.)
    Not sure if that could be a future issue with different films. I also have DVDFAB standing by if MakeMKV has any issues.
    (I can't verify this myself, but have heard some people say they had some issues with MakeMKV not always ripping the DV portion- so they went to DVDFAB to do the rip/clone/copy).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by NUJazz View Post
    Hi,

Anyone have tried BD-R XL 100GB discs in a Sony UBP-X800 North American model?
    If I burn only 2 layers (66.6gb max), X800 plays the movie fine. If third layer has data, the player won't read. I have burnt verbatim non-mdisc 100gb discs using imgburn at 8x speeds and have no issues watching the movie.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I just burned a BDXL 100.
    Writer: Internal Pioneer BDR-213U
    Burned movies to folders with IMGburn 2x UDP 2.60 with verification.
    Disc: VERBATIM 100GB BDXL (Bell)
    No pausing, or freezes during playback when picking it up. played on Pioneered UBP-X800M2 firmware M45.R.0058
    the problem that out of 10 attempts he takes it 1 or 2 times for this I don't understand what it depends on
    does anyone have any idea?
    Last edited by Mikele74; 14th Dec 2022 at 07:19.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    I used to have a Pioneer BDR-UD03B for burning BDXL discs. I used to play them on my stand-alone Sony X700 player, but it always skipped some info when the layer change came. Sometimes just a few seconds, but some other even minutes. That driver is now dead, and now I have an internal LG BU40 and an external Pioneer BDR-XS07TS. I can't even remember it that used to happen with my old Pioneer drive, but when burning the discs with ImgBurn, neither with both the new drivers, it doesn't say anything about layer change when burning. When I use BD-50 discs, it always says when the layer change is made, but not with BD100. Is that normal?

Also, I have tried burning two different discs, and they don't load at all. With my old burner, they used to load without any problem.

Any hint about both problems? Thanks in advance!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Mikele74 View Post
    I just burned a BDXL 100.
    Writer: Internal Pioneer BDR-213U
    Burned movies to folders with IMGburn 2x UDP 2.60 with verification.
    Disc: VERBATIM 100GB BDXL (Bell)
    No pausing, or freezes during playback when picking it up. played on Pioneered UBP-X800M2 firmware M45.R.0058
    the problem that out of 10 attempts he takes it 1 or 2 times for this I don't understand what it depends on
    does anyone have any idea?
    Can you please confirm the Sony UBP-X800M2 plays BDXL with all three layers burnt without any issues? Is it with the latest official firmware or with any unofficial one?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    yes I confirm with the latest official firmware but it doesn't always read them so I think I'll make other attempts with different supports, do you know if there are unofficial firmwares for this reader?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Mikele74 View Post
    yes I confirm with the latest official firmware but it doesn't always read them so I think I'll make other attempts with different supports, do you know if there are unofficial firmwares for this reader?
    hey thanks for your experiments, do you have any update on this?
    it would be nice to know
    • how many discs you burned and tried
    • what kind of discs you tried (MDISC/BDXL/etc..)
    • if both disks with two and three layers are correctly played

thanks
    blurays are evil
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have x800m2 with latest firmware installed. The successful bdxl with maximum size is 60gb.
    Last edited by sam298; 23rd Jan 2023 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    I have x800m2 with latest firmware installed. The successful bdxl with maximum size is 60gb. Though sony can handle first two layers in bdxl, for some reason 65gb size won't play. If you burn all 3 layers in bdxl (> 66gb) it won't read at all. The only ones that play 3 layers are - panasonic ub900, panasonic japan limited edition ub9000 and oppo 203 (not 100% sure).
    The UHD Blu-ray spec doesn't include burned media, so UHD Blu-ray players are not required to support 100 GB BD-XL media. Plus, the types of burned media that do appear in the supported list are also more popular with consumers than BD-XL. The 2-layer limit on BD-XL media for most UHD Blu-ray players probably has something to do with all of the types of burned media included in the supported list only having 1 or 2 layers.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Yes, this restriction[?] in the UHD Blu-Ray spec is trouble. What I have seen is many folks "shrinking" UHD to 50GB dual-layer Blu-Ray discs. Although, I don't know if you can distinguish the difference?
    Quote Quote  
  18. If the player isn't spec'd to play the format/disc then it will not play. Please read the Blu-ray white paper, speak to the manufacturer of your device and stop wasting your money burning coasters.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    I have purchased a brand new X800M2 player, and it does not play burned BDXL, neither two or three layers. I have another SOny X700 player reading two layers discs with no issue, but for some reason, the X800M2 was only capable of reading one disc of 6 or 7. Do I have a faulty player or it's normal? The firmware is the latest available...
    Quote Quote  
  20. I am using Panasonic UB 900 and EG 154 panasonic. Both are working for Verbatim 100 GB
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by wolflop View Post
    I am using Panasonic UB 900 and EG 154 panasonic. Both are working for Verbatim 100 GB
    How did you master the Verbatim 100GB?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by wolflop View Post
    I am using Panasonic UB 900 and EG 154 panasonic. Both are working for Verbatim 100 GB
    Which one is the EG154? I never heard of that one. I just seem to find the 150EG.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Sorry not eg its dp ub 154 Panasonic
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry not eg its dp ub 154 Panasonic
    And does it play both BD XL 66Gb and 100GB? Burnt, I mean. With no issues?
    Quote Quote  
  25. i have testet 3 burned 74-93 gb discs.
    all are played without problems. sometimes problem starting the discs but after a while the discs start playing dtsx and atmos movies and upscaled UHDs
    Last edited by wolflop; 8th Jan 2023 at 12:23.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    How did you master the Verbatim 100GB?
    i mastered with scenerist Dolby Vision movies and sometimes with tsmuxer.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    I'm sorry to say it, but I'm going to start thinking the information provided here is not accurate, or even false. I purchased the Sony X800M2, which was said to play all the BD-R XL disc up to 66GB, and mine didn't play anything, just one of six or seven. I returned it to Amazon, and I ordered the Panasonic EG150, exactly the same player than the EG154 mentioned above. It didn't play anything at all. And you might say, the problem was the discs. They are the same ones I played, watched and enjoyed on my Sony X700 without any problem, so the problem is not there. So, how can I believe anything I read from here?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ernnnn View Post
    I'm sorry to say it, but I'm going to start thinking the information provided here is not accurate, or even false. I purchased the Sony X800M2, which was said to play all the BD-R XL disc up to 66GB, and mine didn't play anything, just one of six or seven. I returned it to Amazon, and I ordered the Panasonic EG150, exactly the same player than the EG154 mentioned above. It didn't play anything at all. And you might say, the problem was the discs. They are the same ones I played, watched and enjoyed on my Sony X700 without any problem, so the problem is not there. So, how can I believe anything I read from here?
    Given all the failures reported by various people in this thread, I agree it isn't logical for anyone to believe that BD-XL playback will work reliably on any machine where BD-XL isn't on the list of supported disk formats.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by ernnnn View Post
    I have the Sony x800m2 latest firmware. I burnt using imgburn DAO burn type, UDF 2.60, burn speed 4x - Verbatim bd-xl 100gb discs. I used both internal LG sata burner and a LG usb burner. I burned three discs with size < 65gb (uhd with full menu) and all work fine in the sony player. Rest 7 discs I burnt > 66gb and sony can't read those.
    I recently bought ritek 100gb discs and it won't read even 50gb (2 layer) movies. I contacted the seller and they are refunding me back.

I use zidoo z9x and connect the usb bd-xl LG drive and can watch movies (3 layers burnt) without any issue.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sam298 View Post
    Originally Posted by ernnnn View Post
    I have the Sony x800m2 latest firmware. I burnt using imgburn DAO burn type, UDF 2.60, burn speed 4x - Verbatim bd-xl 100gb discs. I used both internal LG sata burner and a LG usb burner. I burned three discs with size < 65gb (uhd with full menu) and all work fine in the sony player. Rest 7 discs I burnt > 66gb and sony can't read those.
    I recently bought ritek 100gb discs and it won't read even 50gb (2 layer) movies. I contacted the seller and they are refunding me back.

I use zidoo z9x and connect the usb bd-xl LG drive and can watch movies (3 layers burnt) without any issue.
    I had the Sony X800m2 for a couple of days with latest firmware. I burnt using imgburn DAO burn type, UDF 2.60, burn speed 2x (even better than 4x), Verbatim BD-XL 100GB discs. I used both my UHD friendly LG sata burner, and two UHD friendly Pioneer USB burners. I burned like 40 discs with size <65GB (uhd with full menu) and all, except one (Avengers Assemble) didn't work at all in the Sony player. I haven't burnt discs using more than those 65GB as I know they will not play at all.

And, as I said before, my Sony X700 used to play all of them until the player died and it is not capable of reading even original discs without skipping some seconds or even minutes on layer change.

So, who is right here? As we did exactly the same thing with very different results...
    Last edited by ernnnn; 5th Feb 2023 at 07:43.
    Quote Quote