VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13
FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by truelies View Post
    Curious why the 4k UHD disc iso write to bdxl doesn't work on 4k player? Is that due to the 4k UHD disc format different to BDXL, or the encryption?
    Different formats which is why the players don't have the bdxl logo. It's for big data recording, "movie players" assume you'll either play UHD disc or stream netflix/youtube.
    Last edited by 4kblurayguru; 23rd Jul 2022 at 21:49.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Corvius View Post
    I would *love* a BDXL player. I know everyone uses external hard drives now, but those can fail, where if an optical disc is stored properly, it will be fine extremely long term as it's non mechanical!

So I'm looking at the Panasonic DP-UB9000, but I understand while some say this will work on three layer BDXL, others say it may work sometimes, and other times not.

Playing back a burned copy would also need Cinavia detection disabled, and I have 4K discs from other countries, so I would need it to be region free as well. The only site I could find offers anything like this for the DP-UB9000 via custom firmware: RegionFreedom.com. Anyone have any experience with this? To get the firmware they ask for a "monetary contribution" and it's completely blank as to how much you should "contribute". This is actually looking scary to me because it looks and feels very much like the old "soup nazi" site firmwareinfo.com. The person that ran that was crazy and treated anyone wanting a custom firmware like garbage. For example you had to jump through a million hoops and if you did the slightest thing wrong he would ban you from the site. If you asked for firmware for more than one player it would be an instant ban; he didn't seem to care in the slightest about making any money. So I think it's probably a no go!

Anyways, it would be really nice to have a BDXL / UltraHD solution... I think we were spoiled since BD-ROM and BD-R/BD-R DL just worked on any player (until Cinavia anyways).

Has anyone tried to connect a BDXL drive via USB to an M9205? If the drive appears to the M9205 as an external drive with a UHD folder structure, what's the difference between that and an external HD with a UHD folder structure? It should work, no?
    Studios mostly gave up using Cinavia. It is rare to come across it these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just successfully burned and played a BDXL 100.
    Burner: LG WH16NS60 Mdisc connected by USB 2.0
    Ripped 90GB movie with MakeMKV backup.
    Burned with IMGburn 2x UDP 2.60 with verification.
    Disc: VERBATIM Mdisc 100GB BDXL (5 pack jewel case box)
    No pauses, stutters or freezes in playback. Perfect 1:1 copy played on Oppo 203.
    I'm going to try burning the same film again with
    1) Verbatim non-Mdisc 100GB BDXL
    2) Non- Verbatim (cheaper off brand) 100GB BDXL
    ...to see if I get the same results.
    Super excited this worked without a hitch.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I substitute Anydvd for MakeMKV, this should work as well?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheEmpathicEar View Post
    If I substitute Anydvd for MakeMKV, this should work as well?
    I've never used anyDVD - So I could not say if that would be successful.
    MakeMKV is freely available- I would just use that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both MakeMKV and AnyDVD have the ability to rip a UHD Blu-ray as files and folders, so it should work, assuming AnyDVD is able to decrypt the UHD Blu-ray disc. (Sometimes the decryption keys aren't available for a particular movie.)
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    O.K. - I just did an identical burn, this time using a Verbatim 100GB BDXL that is NOT an Mdisc.
    It did not load into Oppo 203 on the first try. I ejected it and put it back in- and it loaded and worked perfectly on the second try.
    After watching the film - I ejected and reloaded. It loaded again no problem (although it takes about 20-30 seconds to load).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ...assuming AnyDVD is able to decrypt the UHD Blu-ray disc. (Sometimes the decryption keys aren't available for a particular movie.)
    Not sure if that could be a future issue with different films. I also have DVDFAB standing by if MakeMKV has any issues.
    (I can't verify this myself, but have heard some people say they had some issues with MakeMKV not always ripping the DV portion- so they went to DVDFAB to do the rip/clone/copy).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by NUJazz View Post
    Hi,

Anyone have tried BD-R XL 100GB discs in a Sony UBP-X800 North American model?
    If I burn only 2 layers (66.6gb max), X800 plays the movie fine. If third layer has data, the player won't read. I have burnt verbatim non-mdisc 100gb discs using imgburn at 8x speeds and have no issues watching the movie.
    Quote Quote