VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18
FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so I'm still presuming my old Samsung BD writer won't cut it so I bought the ASUS BW-16D1HT and the OWC enclosure today - when they come I'll check the makemkv forum for the firmware instructions, it appears there's a 3.10 firmware fix now so I'll get that done in Parallels and then look to start burning a disc. Next pay day it'll be time to buy a UHD player that reads the discs I'm about to write! I'm presuming when people refer to the UB450 that this is the same as Panasonic DP-UB450EB-K - I don't know what the DP or EB-K stand for or if that makes them different players somehow?

If anyone has any tips on how to set up the files for Imgburn then that would be pretty handy. The MKV I want to burn as video is 4K HEVC - I can use tsMuxer to create AVCHD folders (BDMV and CERT) so presuming this is what I need to do. it's hard to know the right way to go about these things and there's no tutorials out there.
    Last edited by michaelsft; 10th Mar 2021 at 06:46.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Last edited by Bouchnouk; 26th Jun 2021 at 19:29.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    tsmuxer bug has been solved long time ago and now fully supports HEVC. the developing has been acquired by a team in GitHub and you can download nightly builds from there for free
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Last edited by Bouchnouk; 26th Jun 2021 at 19:30.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All very valuable advice. I have tsMuxer version git-a50c2c5 (Mac) which I got from the downloads page on this site (listed under nightly builds) so unless I made a mess somewhere, the ISO I just created should be all I need to do to get it compliant and ready for burning. I think one of the confusing things is understanding that I should be treating this just like a regular blu-ray in tsMuxer and ImgBurn. In my head the fact that it's 4k just feels like it should be created differently but I guess apart from the higher resolution, everything else should be treated the same.

All the hardware I need is on route to my place now so I'll run ImgBurn in Parallels and burn the ISO to a BDXL and then I guess we'll see if it worked or not! Wish me luck!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bouchnouk View Post
    Originally Posted by rick090 View Post
    tsmuxer bug has been solved long time ago and now fully supports HEVC. the developing has been acquired by a team in GitHub and you can download nightly builds from there for free
    Sorry, but the bug is still opened (See bug #367 and 368). The problem is related with 4K files only, not 1080p. And as stated by one of the developer (jcdr428), See #168 : the enhancement for tsMuxer to add the AUD nal units to HEVC streams will be implemented once version 2.7 has been released. The latest version of Tsmuxer (February 13th 2021) is not version 2.7.
    Hmm, I guess I'm not ready yet then. I haven't used ffmpeg before but from the post that was linked, I feel like I just drop it into terminal, run the script and then I get a complaint video as output.ts - I have done this and it wiped all the other data like subs and audio and maybe even chapters (not sure on that last one) but I can remus in tsMuxer with the original file and just swap out the video for the new one. Will that solve the problem for me and add the AUD nal units to HEVC stream while preserving the old audio, subs and chapters?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I guess I can create two versions, one ISO with the mkv as it was originally and another with the video from the ts mix via ffmpeg to see if it was missing the AUD units and needing them adding back in. I don't imagine there's an easy way to check if the original mkv was in fact missing the AUD units or indeed if my combination of both original audio/sub and ffmpeg video will work unless I try. Anyway, huge thanks again - can't wait to get everything and see what's what!

I think if the AUD units are pivotal then finding a way to see if they are in the stream already would be very handy for newbies keen not to make coasters of £20 discs This file is 55gb so it's BDXL all the way!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. I'll report back when I tried burning the discs in a couple of weeks (when everything arrives!)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so everything came earlier than expected and I've had a busy couple of days with mixed results. This is my set up:

MKV ran through ffmpeg (in case of AUD issue) and then with tsMuxer added back in audio/subs and created an ISO. Burn (via Parallels as I'm on a Mac) with ImgBurn using my new ASUS-BW-16D1HT with amended firmware 3.10MK (as per MakeMKV forums). 2x with Verbatim BDXL disc and verified in ImgBurn.

I have also received the Panasonic UB450 (firmware 1.15) so excitadly put the disc in and... it started playing without issue but then sadly started skipping every 20-30 seconds or so until it eventually froze 3 minutes into the film. Interesting I ripped this BDXL in MakeMKV and the resulting file plays just fine on in VLC with no skips at all. I presume this means the disc is in fact fine and the problem lies in the UB450 though why it doesn't just reject the disc but instead skips a bit is something I can't figure out. The MKV video is 3840*2160 at 23.976 fps - HEVC Main 10@L5@main according to MediaInfo so shouldn't cause any issues should it?

Any thoughts? I only have one more disc at the minute and they are not cheap so I figure I two options. One is to rip a UHD I own and burn that to see if it works, the other is to create a new disc of my MKV without running it through ffmpeg first.

I have to use tsMuxer to create an ISO either way as I don't have a copy of DVDFab to create an ISO directly from the disc.
    Last edited by michaelsft; 12th Mar 2021 at 10:08.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Is the mkv file was encoded according to UHD specs?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just had a scary moment when I tried to check a few UHD discs in that I own, MakeMKV and the drive was reading them fine but then the last one I looked at the drive went a bit mad and my iMac just turned itself off. Had to do a PRAM reset to get back in. Seems fine now but I think the Sleep Bug from the modified firmware was causing some real problems there. Anyway according to MediaInfo...

My MKV File
    3840*2160 @23.976 24000/1001 FPS, MpegH HEVC Main10@L5@Main

UHD Disc that I own:
    3840*2160 @23.976 24000/1001 FPS, MpegH HEVC Main10@L5.1@High, HDR10

So perhaps because my file isn't L5.1@High and is just L5 might be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    the file should be encoded according to UHD specs. 5.1High is required. just burn form the source file is the safest.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I have one more blank disc before I need to order more so I took a punt and remuxed my file as BD folders instead of an ISO as ImgBurn won't let me amend the UDF type on the ISO and I can't find anywhere in tsMuxer to choose what UDF type I want. Maybe that's an option in the Windows version that's not in my Mac version? I put the folders into ImgBurn and then under Options chose UDF 2.6 Model1/2048 as per the advice above.

If Rick is correct then it won't work anyway as it's L5.0@Main and not L5.1@High but I figured it was worth a shot just in case. When I get some more discs I'll burn a copy of a UHD I have. I didn't know you could create an ISO from a disc in ImgBurn, figured the only way to rip a UHD disc would be via a program like MakeMKV.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Last edited by Bouchnouk; 26th Jun 2021 at 19:31.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was ticked by default in tsMuxer but the ISO when loaded into ImgBurn automatically made it 2.5 - perhaps it'll be better this time now I've done the folder and specifically changed ImgBurn to 2.6.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    tsmuxer is not encoding software. just a muxer. you need the file to be in the specs of the UHD. 5.1 main should be in the specs. as well as 4.1 (regular Blu-ray) but it should fit the other encoding options to be UHD compliant (bitrate, resolution, BVB Mux size, etc...). just use the original video stream (if available). the hole idea of using BDXL is too keep the original quality without re-encode.
    in imgburn change to UDF 2.6 Manually. imgburn doesn't know what UHD is, it treat it as BD, that is why its on 2.5 by default. the burning process is the same (besides the 2.6) so imgburn is still the best program for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    --
    Last edited by Bouchnouk; 26th Jun 2021 at 19:31.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK so a few coasters later and I'm still running into problems here. Pretty annoying sadly! I decided to create the folders in tsMuxer so I could burn UDF 2.60. As previously mentioned even with the Force BD-ROM V3 option ticked, any ISO comes out at 2.50 when added to ImgBurn. I don't know why.

Sadly none of the discs I made with the folders has worked properly despite it popping up asking me if I wanted to create a BD Video when adding these folders in - I'm clearly doing something wrong when burning them as when I put it in my UHD Player (UB450) it just shows the folders and won't play the video. Weirdly despite the glitches with the ISO 2.50 discs I made, the video would play automatically. I am assuming the issue now lies in how I am writing the discs in ImgBurn.

The settings in ImgBurn are:
    Content Type: BD Video
    Data Type: MODE1/2048
    File System(s): UDF (2.60)

I should also mention that I don't have the source video as mentioned by rick previously. It's a 4k scan that has been made into an MKV (for what it's worth I have 3 files and have moved onto one that is 5.1@high like my commercial UHDs but this folder issue when trying to play the disc was the result of the first try.

Turning this into a UHD BD seems within my grasp but burning it is not going smoothly. I have two discs left. Any options that I can try do you think? I have to assume this is a burning issue and I am doing something wrong with ImgBurn. Would everyone agree with that assessment?

Update: I thought perhaps muxing in Windows might make a difference. With that box ticked though ImgBurn still shows the File Sys as 2.50 so I have no idea if it's possible to create an ISO with 2.60 as the File Sys. I'm guessing it isn't.
    Last edited by michaelsft; 16th Mar 2021 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Re: AUD units as well:
    `ffmpeg -i INPUT.mkv -c:v copy OUTPUT.ts`
    doesn't add in aud units to my mkv 4k HEVC file.

I have been advised elsewhere that
    `ffmpeg -i Movie.mkv -c copy -bsf:v hevc_metadata=aud=insert Movie.ts
`
    should work but the file it creates simply won't load video at all.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by rick090 View Post
    Originally Posted by Kadu7475 View Post
    Hey Per 1971

You mention Oppo 203(mine is Jaibreaked). does this allow perfect playback of BDXL disc with no problem at all including 66gb & 100gb please

how do you jailbreak the oppo 203 and does it cost anything or can cause the machine to not work if done properly

cheers
    My Oppo 203 reads BDXL beyond the 66GB mark, but only under these conditions: Verbatim M-DISC in Jawl case only (5 Pack or singles) no cake packs or non M-Disc, burning at x2 (No x4 or 2.4) with IMGBurn only. no need to jailbreak the Oppo 203 for this. works the same after jailbreak or without it.
    Works 90% of the times and only if the disc is burned to all 3 layers (70-80GB). movies that was on 2 layers only was freez at the layer break and i had to skip a chapter.
    My UB450 (which i bopught recently) didn't read any of my BDXL's and if someone can provide a solution to downgrade the firmware from 1.15 to 1.09 it will be helpfull.
    What is clear that it is not a question of firmware and if of how the discs are recorded and which ones are used. I have an Oppo, now with jailbreak, and the bdxl are freez at the layer break. I use nomal verbatim BDXL, burning at 2x with Imgburn. Maybe the M-discs work and not the others.
    It will be very difficult to go on sale a player that can read bdxl.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bouchnouk View Post
    In Tsmuxer, you can force UDF 2.6 format by choosing the option Force BD-ROM V3 option under Bluray menu. When the disc is burned, you can't change the UDF settings on the disc.

As a very reliable tool, Tsmuxer should have encoded the file correctly or issued warnings in case of problems. I hope it is gonna work.

Regards.
    I need to come back to this as I must be doing something wrong but I don't see how. It was said that by checking this box I could make the iso UDF 2.60 but in ImgBurn it still comes out as UDF 2.50 and the video skips in my Panasonic UB450. In ImgBurn I can add the folders in if I export them in tsMuxer and set the UDF to 2.60 manually but the disc shows up as the folders and doesn't play on the Panasonic. So I can either burn 2.60 and see folders or burn 2.50 iso and play a stuttering video.

Is ticking this box meant to make a UDF 2.60 iso and if not, is there an option in tsMuxer to make it 2.60 that I'm missing?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by rick090 View Post
    Originally Posted by Bravvv View Post
    Hi, to recap :

Pana UB450 can read BDXL 3x layer with a burner ASUS 16D1HT connected in USB ?
    Yes it can. i believe it will work the same with other burners, such as LG. i think that USB and slow burning speed do something to the writing process.
    waiting to others to try and respond
    Can you confirm UB450 can play 66G and 100G movie without problem in bdxl?

I have ub900. I will buy another one between UB820 or UB450 for dolby vision and HDR10+.
    If 450 can play 66G and 100G movie without problem, I will buy it.
    If not I will choose 820 because support external subtitles in firmware 1.66.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    Originally Posted by rick090 View Post
    Originally Posted by Bravvv View Post
    Hi, to recap :

Pana UB450 can read BDXL 3x layer with a burner ASUS 16D1HT connected in USB ?
    Yes it can. i believe it will work the same with other burners, such as LG. i think that USB and slow burning speed do something to the writing process.
    waiting to others to try and respond
    Can you confirm UB450 can play 66G and 100G movie without problem in bdxl?

I have ub900. I will buy another one between UB820 or UB450 for dolby vision and HDR10+.
    If 450 can play 66G and 100G movie without problem, I will buy it.
    If not I will choose 820 because support external subtitles in firmware 1.66.

Thank you.

I can confirm that my Panasonic UB450 can only read disks which are sized more than 66Gb written to 3 layer verbatim BD-R Xl (100Gb) discs .. to simplify lets say some untouched 4k iso image is like 61gb ) which is written with (imgburn, udf 2.50, disk-at once ) to (verbatim 100gb bd-r xl) by either (usb connected asus bw16d1x-u) or (usb connected lg WH14NS) this disk is readable by sony x-700 but NOT by my panasonic ub-450 on the other hand Lets say another untouched 4k iso image sized 80gb written under the same circumstances is NOW readable by panasonic ub-450 but NOT by sony x-700... regardlesss of that the smarter choice is the sony x700 if the main concern is dolby vision titles more or less than 66gb because they can be played from the usb input without any loss (except menus) if you just use latest nightly ts muxer load the main mpls file and make a bluray folder to an usb root folder and done...

Ps: for sony x700 dv usb playback... Some might think.. why not just copy the m2ts file from uhdbluray folder to usb and play.... unfortunately the dolby vision layer metadata is not in the m2ts container of uhd disk.. its somewhere else. so in order to do properly you have to use ts muxer ... My preferred method is as mentioned above add main mpls file of the movie and select bluray folder option in tsmuxer save to the root usb .. the x700 will see usb as AVCHD

PPS: what is the deal with purchasing overpriced enclosures and disassemble them in order to use uhd writer through usb port.... just purchase this one at the link below or similar ones available

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K7IL9PY?pf_rd_r=JMTZ9EVJ496N1EZQBDZV&pf_rd_p=6fc8...ref_=pd_gw_unk
    Last edited by osmanon82; 12th May 2021 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So it's been a few months of trying and while there may be more definitive answers out there, my advice would be for people to not bother and stick to playing the files off a hard drive. It doesn't look nice on the shelf like a quality UHD case does but you'll find it easier to get working and I'll explain why now. I bought burner and enclosure capable of burning these 100GB discs and I bought 10 of them for testing. They are expensive and I currently have two left with no intention to buy any more.

I used tsMuxer to create both a blu-ray folder and a blu-ray ISO using a couple of these 4k video files and then ImgBurn (udf 2.50 at slowest speed) to create the discs. There are very few blu-ray players capable of playing video from 100GB discs for a variety of reason, the only affordable one I could find was the Panasonic UB450. After multiple burns with different parameters trying to find the sweet spot, I had some play but would stutter often. Zero success rate. The reason? Hard to tell. I was advised that AUD not being present in the original files would be a problem and despite many efforts to add it in, I can't find a reliable way to check or confirm they ever were. This might be really important but without a fix that works, I'll never know. Perhaps the player isn't as good at ready the discs as people say? Perhaps the burner isn't as great as everyone else mentioned.

I think the most likely thing though is the files I'm trying to write to discs just weren't encoded with that in mind and as such won't work.

I liked the idea of getting these 4k mkv files on disc, it was an interesting project but ultimately I have all the gear now and nothing to show for it. I can't recommend anyone else try this unless you have lots of cash and lots of time to work on it. I would though love to hear from anyone if they've been successful.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search PM
    Anyone have any updates on any new players on the market that play bdxl. getting frustrated now with not being able to use the disc i have. hard to being in Australia
    Quote Quote