VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I'm new to UHD Blu-ray Authoring and I don't know how to encode my film for Scenarist UHD. I am very familiar with Scenarist BD. I usually just encode my video with Compressor on macOS or I'll use Adobe Media Encoder and I'll just choose the Blu-ray option and it'll give me a .264 file which I will just import into Scenarist BD. When using Scenarist UHD it's asking for a .265 file. How could I encode that? Like I said I'm new to the whole UHD Blu-ray thing. My project is a .m4v file at the resolution of 3840x2160 which is 4K UHD. So my question is, How could I turn that .m4v and turn it into a file that Scenarist UHD works with? What software do I need to use? I also have the original Final Cut Pro 4K 4444XQ .mov of my film if that is necessary and I have access to a PC so any software suggestions Windows/Mac will be helpful.

Thank You!
    Last edited by nicksilverstein; 3rd Mar 2018 at 00:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Suddenly, all these random people who clearly have no idea what they are doing are posting questions how to use Scenarist. Did it get cracked (don't approve)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I know how to use Scenarist BD just not UHD. I've been using Scenarist BD for years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    SameSelf's insightful question still stands.

And somebody who had experience with Scenarist and similar authoring & encoding packages would already know what m4v, h.264, h.265 files, encoding apps & methods/settings, post production workflows, and proper help reference materials were and where to find them, what to do with them, etc.

I've only had modest use of Scenarist, and I know all that.

I also know that serious Encoding & Authoring is done on a PC (Windows, sometimes Linux) not a Mac.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 3rd Mar 2018 at 01:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ateme Titan
    Quote Quote  
  6. I read about Ateme Titan. Is there any software encoder that will give me a UHD HEVC file for Scenarist? This is just for films I've made myself and no it is not "cracked". It is a valid license.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Those with a valid license should also have the manual(s), and support help for encoding options.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. x265, premiere pro/ame can encode 10bit 4:2:0 UHD HEVC , but I think they still fail UHD BD verification currently. x265 has a --uhd-bd switch, but it's WIP.

Do you remember AVC for scenarist BD? - you need to encode with proper specifications, not just any ol' AVC stream will work. Same idea here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Purely out of interest what does Scenarist UHD, or even BD, cost these days ?

There was a time you could add three zero's at the end but I read somewhere that one product was now sub $1,000. Even then it is still financial overkill unless you are a pro-producer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I am calling bull on a valid license, otherwise he would be wringing the Scenarist guys' necks after dropping that much coin on a program he can't even use. Money talks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Granted many/most licenses of Scenarist are Authoring-only, but even they have major tie-ins and recommendations on approved/compliant encoders.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. With or without a bundled encoder, what does Scenarist UHD cost? $5k? I can't imagine someone spending several thousand dollars on post-production software without first testing/vetting their workflows, then only posting their question on a hobbyist forum. Just doesn't pass the sniff test especially since this OP is not the first.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Okay. I contacted Scenarist and they sent me a manual. It gives me all the options with x265 encoding parameters. I don't know which one to use and yes it was like $10k. Thank You.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Principal is the same but perhaps this was done behind scenes because you used adobe media encoder for BD.
    http://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/cli.html

For optical discs you have certain room to operate. Videos cannot be bigger than disc capacity. So you have your video lenght and you need to calculate average bitrate. Getting that bitrate, you then follow using two pass encoding to encode video with that average bitrate. You follow those recommended settings and choose 2pass. Bitrate at any scene must not exceed maximum bitrate for UHD.

If you have a plenty of room on your disc, you have short video title, you can choose any settings from that manual, except you have to watch for maximum bitrates. There is a limit you cannot exceed. You can choose many methods to achieve that. Choosing CRF encoding method 1 pass, but you cut off peaks to limit maximum bitrates. You can achieve this by setting buffers, --vbv-bufsize , --vbv-maxrate. Sure that is not 100%, encoder might set bitrates higher so you have to double check, set those values lower. So you need some bitrate viewer that tells you GOP based bitrate for any moment or gives you readings of maximum bitrates for video.
    Last edited by _Al_; 13th Mar 2018 at 14:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicksilverstein View Post
    Okay. I contacted Scenarist and they sent me a manual. It gives me all the options with x265 encoding parameters. I don't know which one to use and yes it was like $10k. Thank You.
    Jeez. You spend $10k on a program that you know zilch how to use ? Just does not add up. And the manual should be part of the package.
    Quote Quote  
  16. That's because he didn't spend his money on it. "Like $10k" means it was either pirated or OPM. Not to mention you can't just buy Scenarist off the shelf, you have to go through their dealer network. I am sick of this thread it should be closed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    That's because he didn't spend his money on it. "Like $10k" means it was either pirated or OPM. Not to mention you can't just buy Scenarist off the shelf, you have to go through their dealer network. I am sick of this thread it should be closed.
    Then maybe you should stop bumping this thread for the 4th time. And the only one talking about piracy is you, which is verging on breaking this site's rules.

Suddenly, all these random people who clearly have no idea what they are doing are posting questions how to use Scenarist. Did it get cracked (don't approve)?
    Using the Videohelp search, the last time an OP started a thread about Scenarist was in 2014, all the other mentions of Scenarist between then and now were by Videohelp regulars bringing up Scenarist when random people asked about general DVD/BD authoring. So this is the first time since 2014 that an OP directly asked about any form of Scenarist.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No, I don't think so. There are others, myself included, who find the whole progression of information from the OP dubious. I was just giving them some semblance of the benefit of the doubt. Sameself has a different style/technique.
    Often, those who are operating outside the rules eventually reveal themselves for what they really are, and there is some satisfaction when that occurs. Sort of "Justice will out". Or "comeuppance" for those who know their Orson Welles.
    (Part of me wants to mention 45, but I'll refrain).

Scenarist would be the logical goto app if one were attempting to produce authored UHD bluray material. This topic seems as a follow-up from the thread about UHD BD consumer creation approaches. Or lack.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    No, I don't think so. There are others, myself included, who find the whole progression of information from the OP dubious. I was just giving them some semblance of the benefit of the doubt. Sameself has a different style/technique.
    I never said OP did or didn't pirate this software, and is certainly possible along with any other payed software random people talk about on this site. But the idea that there is now a flood of random people initiating a discussion about Scenarist is certainly not the case, at least on Videohelp forums.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ugh, this thread needs to be closed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh, this thread needs to be closed.
    Point me to the flood of other Scenarist threads please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    :facepalm:

“I’m just calling in ‘cuz I’m a Gator fan”.

smh
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicksilverstein View Post
    Okay. I contacted Scenarist and they sent me a manual. It gives me all the options with x265 encoding parameters. I don't know which one to use and yes it was like $10k. Thank You.
    $10K programs actually come with manuals, and users here aren't nearly as dumb as you think they are.
    Quote Quote