VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so i'm planning to get a canopus advc (which model don't know yet) but 2 models caught my interest
    the advc 100 (old models) and advc 300 can ignore macrovision with a firmware update.

Apparently with the advc 100 you switch into "analog mode" and *poof no more color stripes. Does this mean the signal is not converted to DV and if so how do you connect it to your computer (dumb question i know), Dv cable can carry analog signal ?

Ideally i'd want to do this:
    vcr -> canopus advc (output via s-video w/o macrovision) > dvd recorder (to record onto dvd)
    also this:
    vcr -> canopus advc (output via s-video w/o macrovision) > dvd recorder(passthrough) > capture card (record lossless)
    and indeed i could do:
    vcr> dvd recorder(with line tbc, passthrough) > canopus (DV)

The way i see it there could be many possibilities which i like but not sure all are doable

Thanks for your thoughts
    Last edited by themaster1; 28th Feb 2018 at 13:05.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I may be wrong here but

I read that the older 100/110's could remove mv but that hidden feature was removed in a subsequent update.

There is a topic on here that has a link to drivers that claim to update the 300 to remove mv. The one thing that bothers me here is that those drivers appear dated 2012 whereas the 300 AFAIK was not manuf then. So use these is your risk.

It's an ADVC = Analog to DV conversion. That is all it does. Period. Removing mv from the source does not affect that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. ADVC50 can defeat Macrovision. See link settings in appendix 1 of this document : https://www.scribd.com/document/88897909/ADVC-50-User-Manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ADVC doesn't defeat Macrovision.
    What it does is ignore certain types of artificial signal errors that are MV. But it's not flawless, and some errors cannot be ignored. You'll just digitize the errors, and in DV quality no less.

The only way to truly "defeat" Macrovision is to excise and replace the bad parts of a signal, ie the job of an external framesync TBC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. I was simply quoting from the wording in the manual....My apologies if that has caused any confusion
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks Lodsmurf i'm aware of this but given the price of a tbc... Hopefully i can find one cheap soon
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have the Canopus ADVC-100 without any modification or firmware update, the device just ignore the Macrovision protection, as you can see bellow the capture is good as it can be.

Here a few caps, back then, this was captured by Canopus ADVC-100 using a S-Video from the Panasonic S-VHS AG-1980, both of this tapes has Macrovision protection.
    Smile!

This is a sample from that capture, the video size is small because of space concern at the time. I never try to re-capture this material because I have both on DVD with a superior video quality.

The good thing about the Canopus ADVC-100 is that it does a perfect copy of what you throw at it, get a good VCR, S-VHS if possible and enjoy the end results.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    I had an ADVC110 from 2010 that worked fine on Macrovision after pressing the magic button combination.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by amaipaipai View Post
    I have the Canopus ADVC-100 without any modification or firmware update, the device just ignore the Macrovision protection, as you can see
    The good thing about the Canopus ADVC-100 is that it does a perfect copy of what you throw at it, get a good VCR, S-VHS if possible and enjoy the end results.
    Good to read positive feedback. Out of curiosity do you have the serial number of your unit (might be written on the bottom or rear) . I ask because i know only the early models can disable macrovision that's what i read here andhere and the latest models can digest secam, models with a s/n higher than 805100. But i don't have much secam tapes left anyway (good riddance...)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    Good to read positive feedback. Out of curiosity do you have the serial number of your unit (might be written on the bottom or rear) . I ask because i know only the early models can disable macrovision that's what i read here andhere and the latest models can digest secam, models with a s/n higher than 805100. But i don't have much secam tapes left anyway (good riddance...)
    My ADVC-100 doesn't have a serial anymore, I've use this thing a lot!
    I never did anything to disable MV, all I did was to hook it up with my VCR and start capturing, that's it. I bought this in Japan soon after the first release back in 2001.

Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I had an ADVC110 from 2010 that worked fine on Macrovision after pressing the magic button combination.
    Care to "remind" me of what that combo is?

I have some old VHS Disney Sing Along tapes that are slightly different from the re-released DVDs that I bought. Just trying to squeeze a little life out of these for my kids.

I have the 110, but can't find the serial number. Hunting for the right firmware to help with the MV.
    Quote Quote  
  12. At the previous post, read the second link.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Wow. Outstanding.
    Works like a charm.
    Thank you so much!
    Quote Quote