VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Im trying to import an avs script in premiere with no success
    Can anybody help me step by step on how to import my script in premiere cc 2015...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use Debugmode FrameServer with Adobe Premier and if you search in the forum you will find out how to do it, all the best
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    Im trying to import an avs script in premiere with no success
    Can anybody help me step by step on how to import my script in premiere cc 2015...
    You can use AVFS (avisynth virtual file system) . Do a quick search there should be guides

But often you're better off using intermediate files (lossless or near lossless), especially if you have slow scripts

Originally Posted by TeNSoR View Post
    I use Debugmode FrameServer with Adobe Premier and if you search in the forum you will find out how to do it, all the best
    That is for exporting, not importing
    Quote Quote  
  4. Isn't Debugmode Frameserver to export from Premiere? Sounds to me like he needs the opposite: tool to import AviSynth. Like AviSynth Virtual Filesystem (avfs). Latest (newer than that on videohelp) avfs is now included in VapourSynth package AFAIK.
    Quote Quote  
  5. [QUOTE=poisondeathray;2513330]
    Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    Im trying to import an avs script in premiere with no success
    You can use AVFS (avisynth virtual file system) . Do a quick search there should be guides

But often you're better off using intermediate files (lossless or near lossless), especially if you have slow scripts

Originally Posted by TeNSoR View Post
    Yes i have heard about this AVFS and i might give it a try
    So does that mean it has the ability to mount the script as an avi or dummy virtual avi so premiere can then recognise it?

Do i need to configure AVFS or is it good to go?

So how does one mount the script as an avi?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Save your sanity. Don't do it. Go lossless or near-lossless, keyframe-only intermediate.

Or maybe you can find an example of AVFS being used successfully over the long term, doing actual work... I can't
    https://www.google.com/search?q=avfs+file+system+adobe+premiere

(EDIT happy to be corrected by poisondeathray below!)
    Last edited by raffriff42; 28th Feb 2018 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

No it's good to go. If you use the most recent one, it's bundled in the vapoursynth package as sneaker mentioned, then it's commandline

Code:
    avfs.exe script.avs
    And the "fake" avi will appear in c:\volumes and some subfolder according to the avs name

But if you use the original pismo file mount , that can be accessed by right clicking the avs, and selecting PFM mount . I keep that for 32bit avs and scripts, the 64bit version for 64bit avs+ scripts

I have used it successfully, over the long term, for years. But only for short projects. You can also load vapoursynth scripts this way

It's not suitable for large projects, or if you have dozens or hundreds of clips. Lossless / nearlossless intermediate is 100x better for editing . There is a lot of overhead in frameserving through avs and into the fake avi and into PP . It's slow. And if you have a slow script filters, it's very very slow. Also, the command line version will keep open a cmd window until you ctrl+c exit ; so if you have 10 avs loaded, that's 10 extra windows.

99% of the time I prefer a digital intermedate. And newer versions of PP treat lossless x264 as true lossless now (including YUV in 8bit, 10bit, different subsampling configurations). You can configure it as I-frame, or longer GOP's for more compression. Other lossless YUV codecs are not treated as lossless in PP (they get conveted to RGB). Also there is an EXport plugin , voukoder , which can use libav/ffmpeg to export various things directly, like libx264/libx265
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

No it's good to go. If you use the most recent one, it's bundled in the vapoursynth package as sneaker mentioned, then it's commandline

Code:
    avfs.exe script.avs
    And the "fake" avi will appear in c:\volumes and some subfolder according to the avs name

But if you use the original pismo file mount , that can be accessed by right clicking the avs, and selecting PFM mount . I keep that for 32bit avs and scripts, the 64bit version for 64bit avs+ scripts

I have used it successfully, over the long term, for years. But only for short projects. You can also load vapoursynth scripts this way

It's not suitable for large projects, or if you have dozens or hundreds of clips. Lossless / nearlossless intermediate is 100x better for editing . There is a lot of overhead in frameserving through avs and into the fake avi and into PP . It's slow. And if you have a slow script filters, it's very very slow. Also, the command line version will keep open a cmd window until you ctrl+c exit ; so if you have 10 avs loaded, that's 10 extra windows.

99% of the time I prefer a digital intermedate. And newer versions of PP treat lossless x264 as true lossless now (including YUV in 8bit, 10bit, different subsampling configurations). You can configure it as I-frame, or longer GOP's for more compression. Other lossless YUV codecs are not treated as lossless in PP (they get conveted to RGB). Also there is an EXport plugin , voukoder , which can use libav/ffmpeg to export various things directly, like libx264/libx265
    Thanks for that i appreciate it

If i need further assistance can i pm?
    Quote Quote  
  9. ok I tried installing Download VapourSynth r43 64-bit but keep getting No suitable python 3.6 installations found.
    I take it that I need to download install from here https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-348/
    Quote Quote  
  10. I prefer if you just continue in the thread. Because other people might be having the same issues getting it running, and they can get help too by reading the thread

Don't bother installing python , or vapoursynth if you're not going to be using those. I packaged up avfs.exe from R34 x64 and uploaded it here . But you might need the x86 version for x86 scripts, not sure about that, I only have 64bit vapoursynth. For x86 scripts I use the pismo mount method. I need that because of other programs compatibility reasons

Once you get it mounted with either method, the issue of x64 vs. x86 does not matter anymore, because it's a "virtual" file, and "looks" like a video. So you can load x86 avs scripts into 64bit programs like PP, AE , etc...
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I prefer if you just continue in the thread. Because other people might be having the same issues getting it running, and they can get help too by reading the thread

Don't bother installing python , or vapoursynth if you're not going to be using those. I packaged up avfs.exe from R34 x64 and uploaded it here . But you might need the x86 version for x86 scripts, not sure about that, I only have 64bit vapoursynth. For x86 scripts I use the pismo mount method. I need that because of other programs compatibility reasons

Once you get it mounted with either method, the issue of x64 vs. x86 does not matter anymore, because it's a "virtual" file, and "looks" like a video. So you can load x86 avs scripts into 64bit programs like PP, AE , etc...
    ok no problem.
    now when I go to pfm mount settings mapdrive 0 , local mount drive unticked , formatter auto

when trying to mount I get mount failure test clip.avs cant be mounted it is not of a supported file format

here is the avi clip info
    Format : AVI
    Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
    File size : 219 MiB
    Duration : 3 min 0 s
    Overall bit rate : 10.2 Mb/s
    Writing application : Lavf53.24.2

Video
    ID : 0
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Codec ID : MP43
    Codec ID/Info : Microsoft MPEG-4 v3 (pre-standard)
    Codec ID/Hint : Microsoft
    Duration : 3 min 0 s
    Bit rate : 10.2 Mb/s
    Width : 1 440 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 20.000 FPS
    Scan type : Progressive
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.328
    Stream size : 219 MiB (100%)

the original clip was mp4 but I had to convert it to avi for it to work with virtualdub.

Is it possible to use this source clip mp4 in the avs script then mount as mp4 ready for premiere or is avi preferred?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Original clip is always preferred .

I think you should be able to open it with ffms2 as a source filter , or perhaps lsmash . Both are external plugins

e.g.
    LSmashVideoSource("video.mp4")

FFVideoSource("video.mp4")

Are you using x86 or x64 avisynth ?

What is the full script ?

vdubfiltermod (newer version, branch of vdub) should be able to open the mp4 directly too (but why were you converting it to avi to work in vdub in the first place?? )

Test that script is valid first, in vdub or avspmod , then mount it
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Original clip is always preferred .

I think you should be able to open it with ffms2 as a source filter , or perhaps lsmash . Both are external plugins

e.g.
    LSmashVideoSource("video.mp4")

FFVideoSource("video.mp4")

Are you using x86 or x64 avisynth ?

What is the full script ?

vdubfiltermod (newer version, branch of vdub) should be able to open the mp4 directly too (but why were you converting it to avi to work in vdub in the first place?? )

Test that script is valid first, in vdub or avspmod , then mount it
    yes its x86 avisynth

I will download vdubfiltermod and see if it can open the mp4
    Quote Quote  
  14. the mp4 file plays perfectly with vdubfiltermod is best to use the vdub64.exe? which I diid
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    the mp4 file plays perfectly with vdubfiltermod is best to use the vdub64.exe? which I diid
    what are you trying to do exactly ? what is the background information ?

what does avisynth or premiere have anything to do with vdfm in your situation ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    the mp4 file plays perfectly with vdubfiltermod is best to use the vdub64.exe? which I diid

what does avisynth or premiere have anything to do with vdfm in your situation ?
    ok im working with the 01_A_Film_Restoring_Frame_Interpolation script by video fred and trying to make it work mp4 to restore the 8mm footage then send that to premiere
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

ok im working with the 01_A_Film_Restoring_Frame_Interpolation script by video fred and trying to make it work mp4 to restore the 8mm footage then send that to premiere

Then what does opening the mp4 directly in vdub / vdubfm have to do with this ? You can open the mp4 directly in avisynth

BUT If I were you, I would encode an intermediate in that scenario. Because some of the filters in that script are not safe for non linear seeks. This makes editing very dicey when frame serving. You can get different results by jumping to different parts. You'll get mixed up results when making cuts and editing in a NLE. Some of the dirt removal for example - they only work correctly if you do it with a straight sequential linear access.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I couldnt open mp4 in the older version of virtual dub
    But you pointed out the version that did play the mp4 file i was just delighted that it did play black ok thats all

So what should i do now it my case its not stable send that script to premiere?
    Quote Quote  
  19. So now would i just load the script in vdubfiltermod then save and process mp4 or avi format then just load the avi or mp4 in to premiere?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    I couldnt open mp4 in the older version of virtual dub
    But you pointed out the version that did play the mp4 file i was just delighted that it did play black ok thats all

You would load the video with the script. You wouldn't be able to apply the script if you loaded the video directly into vdub/vdfm. You would edit the script to use lsmash or ffms2 as the source filter. (I think videofred's script has AVISource() )

The script applies all the filters and manipulations.

You encode the script to a physical file, an intermediate that you can import into premiere. This "bakes" all the results of the script into that video file, and eliminates the seek and consistency problems mentioned earlier because you encode linearly once, from start to end. For example, you can open the script with vdub (or anything that accepts avs scripts), then encode something to export out.

The problem is the intermediate can be large in terms of storage. A lossless intermediate can be many times larger than the original . A near lossless intermediate like cineform is quite common . The filesizes are not quite as large as true lossless, and the performance is very high in an editor (very smooth, fast seeking) . videofred uses hqx I think, which is also in the category of near lossless codecs. Cineform is quite a bit better in terms of performance, and compression ratio is similar.

The purpose of avfs is to "skip" that large physical file, to frameserve directly into another application. But in this case I strongly advise against it. Lots or potential for problems.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I couldnt open mp4 in the older version of virtual dub

You would load the video with the script. You wouldn't be able to apply the script if you loaded the video directly into vdub/vdfm. You would edit the script to use lsmash or ffms2 as the source filter. (I think videofred's script has AVISource() )

The script applies all the filters and manipulations.

You encode the script to a physical file, an intermediate that you can import into premiere. This "bakes" all the results of the script into that video file, and eliminates the seek and consistency problems mentioned earlier because you encode linearly once, from start to end. For example, you can open the script with vdub (or anything that accepts avs scripts), then encode something to export out.

The problem is the intermediate can be large in terms of storage. A lossless intermediate can be many times larger than the original . A near lossless intermediate like cineform is quite common . The filesizes are not quite as large as true lossless, and the performance is very high in an editor (very smooth, fast seeking) . videofred uses hqx I think, which is also in the category of near lossless codecs. Cineform is quite a bit better in terms of performance, and compression ratio is similar.

The purpose of avfs is to "skip" that large physical file, to frameserve directly into another application. But in this case I strongly advise against it. Lots or potential for problems.
    Great i will do that , thankyou for all your help i really do appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I cant get the mp4 to with the script
    Tried FFVideoSource("the path to the video.mp4")

vdubfiltermod doesnt recognise that command
    How do i get freds script to work with mp4?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    I cant get the mp4 to with the script

Post the error message verbatim. It should provide clues to the problem

Did you download the ffms2 plugin ? Extract the contents and put into the avisynth plugins directory ?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I cant get the mp4 to with the script

Post the error message verbatim. It should provide clues to the problem

Did you download the ffms2 plugin ? Extract the contents and put into the avisynth plugins directory ?
    Ok i put the the plugin in avisynth plugins directory but im getting error avisynth open failure
    Script error: expected a , or)
    When loading in virtualfiltermob
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

Ok i put the the plugin in avisynth plugins directory but im getting error avisynth open failure
    Is that the complete message ? It should tell you which line has the error in the script

Go to that line and fix it - it's probably some punctuation or typo error
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Is that the complete message ? It should tell you which line has the error in the script

Ok error on line 138 Import("c:\file parh location\03_RemoveDirtMC.avs
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post

You're missing the end quote , and end parentheses . (And you should edit the actual path)

Code:
     Import("c:\PATH\03_RemoveDirtMC.avs")
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

You're missing the end quote , and end parentheses . (And you should edit the actual path)

Code:
     Import("c:\PATH\03_RemoveDirtMC.avs")
    Yes your right i have corrected that now and the script is now working
    Quote Quote  
  29. Ok it is playing now but its slow
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Digital85 View Post
    Ok it is playing now but its slow
    It's not really meant to be "played" . You're supposed to encode to a video and play that. Since that video has all the results "baked" in, it will no longer be "slow", but realtime

It might "seem" slow, but it the grand scheme of things, this is not that slow . There are much slower scripts in the order of 50-100x slower.

Also you might be using the single threaded variant; I think there are multithreaded variations for that script which might a few times faster if you have capable hardware. But there are some hoops to jump through getting mt setup properly

In terms of "editing". This is also where the choice of intermediate makes a big difference in terms of editing performance. Some compression formats are heavily compressed and take a long time to decompress . Very sluggish on the editing timeline . Ideally you want a low latency, very fast codec for editing. Something like cineform will be 5-10x faster for seeking than a typical long GOP format if you have enough cores. You can "feel" the difference when scrubbing on the timeline . It's not a huge deal with SD, but when you're dealing with higher resolution scans HD or greater , it makes a big difference
    Quote Quote