VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a DMR-ES10 & a Hauppage USB Live-2 & I have it setup the following way using component cables as my VCR does not have s-video.

At the rear of the ES10 left hand side which is (AV4 In) I have the yellow, white and red component cables running to my VCR yellow video and white audio.

At the rear of the ES10 right hand side (Out) I have the yellow, white & red component cables connected to my Hauppage USB Live-2.

I have to switch the es10 to channel A4 but I did read & I could be wrong that only channel 1 has tbc?

I have attached a photo of my capture which seems to happen with every tape, the possible tracking line along the bottom & the line down the left hand side which I don't know what to call, ghosting?

I also tried using my stand along TBC-1000 & have gotten the same result in 4 different tapes, I'm a bit frustrated at this stage not knowing if the es10 component cables are connected properly & the tbc is actually working, my tbc-1000 giving me the same results could be my lousy vhs players.

Thank you
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SnapShot.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	44795  

Quote Quote  
  2. The stuff at the bottom is called head-switching noise, is pretty much universal, and not at all related to what you're trying to cure.

The stuff on left and right is also, I believe, not related. What you should notice is how straight that line in the left is. Either your set-up is doing its job or you didn't need it for this particular tape. You might try without the ES10 in the chain and see if it looks worse - if you get zig-zaggy lines in the picture. Here's a post from jagabo of the kind of thing your ES10 cleans up:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/306272-Computer-video-capture-vs-vcr-to-dvd-combo#post1882662
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you manono, I have attached a screenshot of using the hauppage on it's own & as you can see it's very wobbly. As it happens on 8 tapes all recorded with the same camera I can only assume it might be the camera, the age or quality of the tapes.

My silly question is can you correct head-switching noise?

Thank you again
    [Attachment 44798 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. There you go. And when played you see the sides wobble like crazy, eh? So you no longer have to worry about whether or not you have your ES10 set up properly.

Umm, headswitching noise. Well, if there's good video below the nasty lines, you can keep it while at the same time doing some hocus-pocus to remove the garbage. jagabo (again) has an AviSynth filter I use sometimes when there's enough good stuff below the noise to try and reclaim it. It's called InterpolateScanLines:

function InterpolateScanLines(clip src, int first, int lines)
    {
    top=Crop(src,0,first-1,src.width,1)
    bot=Crop(src,0,first+lines,src.width,1)
    StackVertical(top,bot)
    BilinearResize(src.width,lines+2)
    Crop(0,1,-0,-1)
    Overlay(src, last, 0, first, opacity=1.0) # change opacity to suit
    }

How are your AviSynth skills? It replaces the garbage with good stuff from both above and below. I usually add some blurring as well. If you're not up to that, you can crop it away. If you go that route you have to be careful to keep the aspect ratio. Others recommend covering it with black, or cropping it away followed by replacing it with an equal amount of black, divided among the top and bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again, I don't know how to use AviSynth but if you tell me how to add the script & how to run it I'm willing to give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Not I, sorry. Just go ahead and cover it up or remove it using whatever program you're using.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried a 3rd VCR with the same problem. I've been reading numerous threads that suggest another VCR or editing as you suggest. Others say over time the head-switching noise actually affects the tapes as well.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  8. There are very few decks that can play VHS tapes with only a line or two of head switching noise. 99 percent of VHS players have about 8 lines of it. You didn't see it on old CRT TVs because they overscanned -- the head switching noise was outside the visible portion of the picture.
    Quote Quote